• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR10 sneak peak

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Due to having no time now for the full video I skipped quickly to the measurements and it seems he doesn't show the full CEA2044 and vertical directivity, did he mention why?
I'm sure he will be posting these on his website.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure he will be posting these on his website.
Yes, I now saw that he and you commented on his video that he will, but his later commented excuses of not posting them on the video which he did on all other loudspeaker video reviews before to make the video not longer (as if 2 minutes more would harm while he talks and sings half of the time of the video about his subjective impressions) don't sound convincing to me. People that know me good here know that I am a big supporter of his reviews who was even posting them here when released but after this incident I am not sure anymore.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
to be honest i don't think is that important since it will be posted in the website, but i think he just could upload the video later, but to be fair is not the first speaker that miss measurements, for example the kef reference 1 miss the IMD distortion, in both website and youtube.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We also got the reprint rights to the HiFi news review on the aspen FR10 speakers.
Are these with the fixed or broken tweeter?

Also, are you allowed to share any ASR technical tidbits about the new bookshelf? Are these designed primarily for traditional spinorama performance or are they intended to be voiced like B&W has been doing lately?

To the greater ASR community, PS Audio has a good/bad reputation on here, but the way I look it at it, PS Audio is a family. Maybe there’s a crazy uncle or second-cousin-once-removed, etc. It’s OK to be a skeptic on the power conditioning products from PS Audio and still appreciate the engineering that goes into PS Audio speakers.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
to be honest i don't think is that important since it will be posted in the website, but i think he just could upload the video later, but to be fair is not the first speaker that miss measurements, for example the kef reference 1 miss the IMD distortion, in both website and youtube.
That is not a similar example as if you see the chronological list of his loudspeaker reviews
at the time he did the KEF Reference 1 review all his loudspeaker reviews didn't have the multitone measurements performed which he started with later reviews.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Erin has me really intrigued about the midbass ability (sweetness as he says) as is one of my big yes/no for a speaker.
I'm waiting to see how measurements translate to this for such a small speaker.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
That is not a similar example as if you see the chronological list of his loudspeaker reviews
at the time he did the KEF Reference 1 review all his loudspeaker reviews didn't have the multitone measurements performed which he started with later reviews.
lol apparently you are right, i still remember there was few speakers that i cant compare the graphics because there were lacking or a bit different, but im NOT sure now.

Anyway i think is not that bad, it will be posted in website

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's out:

1710924110120.png

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is fascinating that such a wobbly FR could be dismissed by Erin because he was enthralled with the wide smooth dispersion. Watching the video is interesting how he rationalizes the wobbly FR. He becomes almost a subjectivist in the review. I find a $10k speaker launched in 2023/4 with this performance to be inadequate.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

HAs there been, simil
Ps audio has better IMD, distortion is very low and good compresion... the ultra very wide horizontal dispersion is just unique from this speaker too. Good bass also.

Seems very good for a small room to medium
Has there been similar IMD measurements for the speakers I mentioned:
Kef R11, Revel F228Be, Genelec 8351 and 8361, Neumann KH420?
so that we could make apple to apple comparisons?

Peace.

SDC

With the neos and purifies I expected it to be better than that...

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's not as if there is a narrow dip at 600Hz as was told by Erin,the whole 600-800Hz is dipped.
The good news is that is totally and easy EQ-able and can play loud-ish with low distortion.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is fascinating that such a wobbly FR could be dismissed by Erin because he was enthralled with the wide smooth dispersion. Watching the video is interesting how he rationalizes the wobbly FR. He becomes almost a subjectivist in the review. I find a $10k speaker launched in 2023/4 with this performance to be inadequate.

The power of wide directivity cannot be underestimated

This is what Amir wrote:
“Ah, boy did this track sound good! The wide dispersion gave it more openness, provide more of a "live" feel to this track. Anyone who thinks "reflections are bad" needs to get this speaker and play this track! No, it didn't add any echos. It just ever so slightly adds ambiance.”

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The power of wide directivity cannot be underestimated

This is what Amir wrote:
“Ah, boy did this track sound good! The wide dispersion gave it more openness, provide more of a "live" feel to this track. Anyone who thinks "reflections are bad" needs to get this speaker and play this track! No, it didn't add any echos. It just ever so slightly adds ambiance.”
It should be added though that Amir tests usually only a single loudspeaker and from the research of Toole as also experiences from others we know that the merits of wide horizontal directivity shrink by increasing the numbers of channels and can in some cases and conditions can even become disadvantages.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see anything wrong with saying "Here is the data, and here is why I don't care so much about it". To me it would be silly to say "I enjoyed listening to it but the charts show I shouldn't, so I no longer will."

Indeed. “Boo on Erin for saying it sounded good!”

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The data is not bad... is good enough.
There is no resonances neither distortion, the resonances are well controlled for not worry about it in listening test. Im not suprise the feact Erin enjoy this super wide with ultra low IMD distortion speaker

Top Bottom