• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well, judging from the YT comment Erin likes it. So perhaps PS Audio finally has done some good?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I really don't know what to think...
Not sent to Erin by PS Audio;
I've been chatting a bit with Erin Hardison off and on and I'm going to get a pair sent out to him in a couple of months for measurement and review.

We also, have an upcoming review in HifiNews in the UK that should publish first, I think.

One thing to keep in mind in the US is that PS Audio sells direct and offers and trade-in program (giving you your full retail purchase price back as a credit towards up to 25-30% of your new purchase). A lot of people take advantage of this and so the effective pricing for them is $7500.
... will be interested to see how these shape up on the Klippel NFS and I'm sure Paul will be watching with possible trepidation. I don't see a review or testing on HiFi News as yet.

JSmith

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sent to Erin by PS Audio;

... will be interested to see how these shape up on the Klippel NFS and I'm sure Paul will be watching with possible trepidation. I don't see a review or testing on HiFi News as yet.

JSmith
If I'm not mistaken, Chris is the designer, so for all intents and purposes it was sent by PS Audio.

JSmith

Master Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, Chris is the designer, so for all intents and purposes it was sent by PS Audio.
You're not mistaken... I wasn't reading/remembering properly is all, should have realised. I thought he was still a sales consultant at Morgan Sound or working for some microphone company.

JSmith

Daverz

Major Contributor
I don't think PS Audio can mess these up with a tube buffer stage, so I'm optimistic about the measurements.

YSC

Major Contributor
Really curious to see how it measures, it will be great if PS Audio finally have something really good objective performance

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Hi guys,

Yes, I am the speaker designer for PS Audio and have been participating here on ASR for 2-3 years. As I was mentioning in the other thread about the new speakers, we sent Erin these speakers for review.

It looks like the HifiNews review is out this month (technically their April issue). We got on the cover again (as the first review of them) and I'm happy that they liked them.

If you want to read that review (that has some measurements too), the magazine is available at Barnes and Noble where I live but you can also purchase single issues at places like this:

As far as polar measurements go, our planar drivers are a taller and more directional vertically versus a typical dome tweeter/cone midrange so expect to see some narrower vertical coverage. However, I did work to try to achieve a neutral tonal balance in-room and Erin's initial impression of sound quality seemed good.

The midrange and tweeter have other benefits though, low distortion, rather high output and low stored energy/quick decay and good spatial qualities.

Attachments

• hifinews fr10.png
    hifinews fr10.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 115

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to Erin’s review. Wide dispersion (80deg), lots of bass. Those two will appeal, and they did to him. Very low distortion as well.

There are some odd FR anomalies and directivity is not as even as others. Listening to the review is a good way to get more comfortable correlating measurements to your subjective experience, including “wide soundstage”.

YSC

Major Contributor
Far better than what I expected! Well done PS audio this time around

prerich

Subjective objective...I love the way Erin did the review, listened subjectively first, and then did the measurements. Bravo Zulu!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a terrific review by Erin. A really wonderful combo of subjective description and correlation with measurements, as well as why someone may enjoy a speaker even when it doesn't measure ultra neutral.

OP
nerdemoji

nerdemoji

seems like it would be pretty cool if they were modded to have active crossover and DSP, linearity seems a little problematic but overall good measured performance

OP
nerdemoji

nerdemoji

Of course he left out vertical polars. I bet they aint pretty, and responsible for the dips.
seems to me like its more of just an on axis problem, not a directivity problem though we'll see when he posts on his website

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like to see same for FR20 and FR30....

JSmith

Master Contributor
The measurements may not change, but seeing them before listening may bias the listening
That's up to debate, discussed in this ol' thread;

JSmith

Top Bottom