• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

Sokel

Master Contributor
yeah he said '' aside from the drivers '', i also thinked that. But i don't know why write that and then '' aside from the drivers '' xD
Now compare that with these KEFs at the same (to higher) price range as the Ascends:

kef-r3-kef-r3-600x600.jpg

See the rings?
The little details.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I mean it's okay to have incorrect aesthetic taste but... we are talking more about craftsmanship quality rather than aesthetics hahaha
My point wasn’t to be a dick. Just to show we all have different taste.
Try to get any cabinet maker to copy a set of high end speaker boxes for you from scratch, and they will cost you more than that set of speakers likely. There is a lot of money in the cabinets. Whether slick and looking like the were fabricated by the Star Trek replicator or if they show some evidence of hand work by a human. I prefer the latter. Details like exposed screws are even subjective. If everything is hidden, any suggestions of the method of manufacturing then the speaker is too sterile looking for me. And too obviously a product of a factory. But that’s just my taste. Trim rings meh.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
No, they produce a minimum diffraction that doesn't matter but objectively is better to not have these screw :)
Given that the wavelength of higher frequency sounds that can be heard by a human are 2-3 cm long, how can mounting screws for the drivers, which may have irregularities on the fasteners for the screwdriver on the order of mere millimeters have any diffraction effects that are audible? But perhaps they can. I need to study diffraction I guess. I will look into this. Thanks.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Given that the wavelength of higher frequency sounds that can be heard by a human are 2-3 cm long, how can mounting screws for the drivers, which may have irregularities on the fasteners for the screwdriver on the order of mere millimeters have any diffraction effects that are audible? But perhaps they can. I need to study diffraction I guess. I will look into this. Thanks.
Just to be clear, i said '' doesnt matter but obj is better to not have ''
cheers

Sokel

Master Contributor
I hope I'm not misunderstood here,I'm not talking about performance.
If for example I was to choose between the perfectly hidden and designed for performance 8361A and the brutal 1235A with its 31786482764 screws I would go for the big boys in a heartbeat.

On the other hand I know they are not designed for living rooms but I have a big dedicated to stuff them in :p

Reactions: MAB

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Given that the wavelength of higher frequency sounds that can be heard by a human are 2-3 cm long, how can mounting screws for the drivers, which may have irregularities on the fasteners for the screwdriver on the order of mere millimeters have any diffraction effects that are audible?.

Bingo.

In order for an object to significantly affect a soundwave it needs to big enough to do so, and "big enough to do so" turns out to be a minimum of 1/4 wavelength. A 20 kHz soundwave is about 17 millimeters long, so anything less than 4.25 millimeters across is going be effectively invisible at 20 kHz.

So some screw heads might have a little bit of effect if they are not flush with the surface or nearly so, assuming they are actually illuminated by the tweeter... most tweeters will be beaming their little hearts out at 20 kHz.

JSmith

Master Contributor
No, but the subjective opinion might.
But the purpose is not subjective opinion without basis, it's to correlate the measurements with listening. Hence why this is done in mono... here's a vid Amir did which may clear up a few things for some;

JSmith

Somafunk

Major Contributor
So some screw heads might have a little bit of effect if they are not flush with the surface or nearly so,

I’m surprised there is not a suitable expensive audio tweak for such things, perhaps a nano gel (repackaged bathroom mastic) to fill in screw heads on speakers

Sokel

Master Contributor
I’m surprised there is not a suitable expensive audio tweak for such things, perhaps a nano gel (repackaged bathroom mastic) to fill in screw heads on speakers
Oh,there are ready made ones for repackaging,no need for hacks:

1711327909687.jpeg 1711327945419.jpeg

(there are literally thousands for every type of screw)

Engineering imagination is a marvelous thing.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I’ve seen felt rings around tweeters on DIYAUDIO. Is that what that is for? Also often cut in patterns with a radial series of points aimed at the center of the tweeter.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In order for an object to significantly affect a soundwave it needs to big enough to do so, and "big enough to do so" turns out to be a minimum of 1/4 wavelength. A 20 kHz soundwave is about 17 millimeters long, so anything less than 4.25 millimeters across is going be effectively invisible at 20 kHz.
Woofer or mid surrounds usually are not protruding much more than those 4 mm but still their effect is measurable both on-axis due to the symmetry as well off-axis which is one of the reasons many try to eliminate that issue with flat surrounds. Of course with screws heads it will be even less and probably not audible but still measurable.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would obviously say that since we make speakers with visible screws, but to me the issue of screws isn't because we couldn't hide them, but because I like the functional look.

So to me, visible / hidden screws is yet another design choice, not necessarily about price/cost.

Digital_Thor

Woofer or mid surrounds usually are not protruding much more than those 4 mm but still their effect is measurable both on-axis due to the symmetry as well off-axis which is one of the reasons many try to eliminate that issue with flat surrounds. Of course with screws heads it will be even less and probably not audible but still measurable.
And that was my conclusion too, when I bought the Seas DXT tweeter. It might look nicer, and you can measure it, but it won't be audibly noticeable:
https://www.speakerdesign.net/seas/tweeters/dxt/dxt_tweeter.html

https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/test-seas-dxt-27tbcd-g/

A lot has to do with looks and standing out. And I believe that especially KEF does it to firstly give the tweeter in the coax a smooth exit, and then make the woofers have the same look/design, simply to make the whole speaker more sleek.

Top Bottom