• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP Speaker Measurements: Take Two

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The measurements for S&R are done by Anselm Goertz who states the resolution as 1 Hz or lower.
View attachment 49394
Source (in german). Translated to english.
I saw that. My measurements are even higher resolution and range from 0.3 to 0.7 Hertz. But this is NOT what is plotted (it is what is captured). That plot is subject to filtering (default I am using is 20 points/octave). Their graphs appear to be very low resolution regardless of display resolution and vertical scale. Hence my question.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
They measure up to 40kHz, but don't always show that. So obviously 96kHz sample rate. Smoothing looks like 1/24. Measurement distance is not said (looks like 2m), neither 0-axis location.

https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studio-monitor-messdaten-verstehen/

SOUND & RECORDING wendet dieses Messverfahren seit ca. 1,5 Jahren für alle Monitortests an. Details zu diesem Thema findest du auch in einem Beitrag zur 27. Tonmeistertagung 2012 in Köln unter dem Titel „Maximalpegel- und Verzerrungsmessungen bei Lautsprechern“

Here you are http://www.ifaa-akustik.de/files/tmt-2012-ag-2s.pdf

Wir-testen-01.jpg

https://www.fidelity-online.de/messungen-an-lautsprechern/

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They measure up to 40kHz, but don't always show that. So obviously 96kHz sample rate. Smoothing looks like 1/24.
Well, we can't go by what it looks like. The filtering makes a huge difference as to how smooth that graph looks. Who can ask them in German?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Theo? @thewas_

They might use averaging in listening window too, that must be asked too!
And what IR gating?
And is low end based on nearfiel or actual 2m farfield like with NRC measurements!

Obviously they use some math to eq the floor bounce

About smoothing, and example
inf a20 onax 6ms var smooth.jpg

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's correct. That experiment is in play as I measure at 1000 points with KH80. I am hoping this is as high as we need to go. But if not, then the number can be increase again at the high cost of measurement time. Then again it is automated so it is not too bad at the end of the day.
Are the 1000 measuring points related to the entire loudspeaker or are they measured completely on one half of the loudspeaker due to the symmetrical construction of the loudspeaker?

One thing we need to find out about the anechoic measurements of KH80 is what smoothing/frequency resolution they are using. I have not seen that document. The S&R magazine just says what the sample rate of audio was from the microphone, not the resulting resolution of their graph. Has anyone seen otherwise?
Explicitly for smoothing, I have not found any statement in the comments on the measurement procedure.

Anselm Goertz says in some reviews in S&R that the frequency response shown would be without smoothing.

But I would assume that due to the representation of the curves (thick lines) they get some smoothing, but this should only have an minimal effect.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's correct. That experiment is in play as I measure at 1000 points with KH80. I am hoping this is as high as we need to go. But if not, then the number can be increase again at the high cost of measurement time. Then again it is automated so it is not too bad at the end of the day.

Um, maybe I'm a bit confused then - I thought you would also try to regenerate a spinorama from the original measurement of the first KH80 from your first review, but using the Klippel software (not remeasuring - just reprocessing) to adjust the axis about 5 cm down in the vertical dimension to match the intended reference axis? It seems like both experiments would provide useful insights. I don't think I've seen you post any spinorama that was not generated from the measurement axis (i.e. twitter axis), but maybe I missed it?

One thing we need to find out about the anechoic measurements of KH80 is what smoothing/frequency resolution they are using. I have not seen that document. The S&R magazine just says what the sample rate of audio was from the microphone, not the resulting resolution of their graph. Has anyone seen otherwise?

Is this about the bass dip issue? Given that the bass deviation is quite low Q, I would expect it to show up in any measurement, even one that uses some moderate amount of smoothing. If we're talking about treble tilt, that's low Q too, so smoothing shouldn't matter there either. High-Q deviations are a different story of course.

Far field is defined by simple 6 dB SPL reduction when doubling the distance.

You did not directly answer my question, but it looks like you're saying that the spinorama plots are, in fact, simulating far field conditions? I.e. they're not simulating a fixed 2-meter distance or anything like that?

It has no way of knowing microphone characteristics. It however checks its own work with respect to field expansion as I have shown.

Okay. Maybe the directivity characteristics of the microphone could explain why, in the graphs you posted in post #188, the fitting error suddenly increases at high frequencies. More on this below…

In an anechoic chamber, you have a similar problem as the speaker is rotated and angle of incident changes relative to microphone.

Sure, but that's not really the same situation. Presumably, in the anechoic chamber setup, for the on axis (0°) measurement, the speaker is directly facing the microphone - it only becomes an issue for off-axis measurements (which are less critical). This means that, for the critical on-axis measurement, the angle of incidence is zero - which is ideal as the directivity of the microphone doesn't matter in this case. The result should therefore be accurate for the on-axis measurement, at least.

For the NFS it's different, because if the NFS decides to measure a point really, really close to the speaker - and my understanding is that it sometimes does - the angle of incidence from the tweeter could become quite large (say, 30°? maybe even 60°?), leading to the NFS underestimating high frequencies. I'm wondering if this is exactly the reason why Klippel recommends using the tweeter as the measurement "focus point" - it's to minimize the angle of incidence on the microphone. That would make perfect sense to me, and unless I missed something it would completely explain the results you've been getting so far.

In any case, I agree that this problem should indeed be detected as "fitting error", because the NFS would get different results when measuring points at various angles of incidence from the tweeter that it cannot reconcile. The problem is, it's quite possible the NFS simply can't fix that fitting error simply by measuring more points, because if it does that, it will just keep getting seemingly inconsistent results from various angles of incidence, and that will "confuse" the NFS even more (in other words: measuring more points will fail to bring the error down, or only very slowly). Maybe the point of specifying the "tweeter axis" is precisely so that the NFS can detect this situation and "prioritize" the measurements that were taken directly in front of the tweeter as more accurate in high frequencies? Does that make sense?

As I keep saying, we need to be focused on the high level picture. Slight differences are simply not material with respect to predicting listening response in their own room.

Well, you showed in your first post that getting the axis wrong can result in -5 dB deviation at 10 kHz in the resulting spinorama plots. That's not "slight" at all, to me. It would be great if we could clearly understand what's going on deep down in these experiments so that we know what to expect in the future.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we can't go by what it looks like. The filtering makes a huge difference as to how smooth that graph looks. Who can ask them in German?
In the measurements of S&R it can be seen that only slight smoothing was applied. Whether it is ultimately 1/24oct or 1/20oct does not matter much, as was beautifully shown in a previous post.

The ripples in the measurement are hardly influenced by this.

Only loudspeakers with extremely narrow band interference in the frequency response are slightly favoured by smoothing.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pio2001

I am, however, slightly worried that the measurements appear to deviate in ways that no-one seems to be able to explain. I do believe it would still be useful for @amirm to report it to Neumann and Klippel. If the NFS is right, Neumann might be interested to know that a speaker they think measures flat is not actually flat. If the anechoic measurements are right, Klippel might be interested to know that the NFS seems to have an accuracy problem in this case.

To answer this question, we need to compare with the numbers given by the two other measurement methods.

Ground plane:

groundplane.jpg

And free field:
FreeField.jpg

I'm wondering if this is exactly the reason why Klippel recommends using the tweeter as the measurement "focus point" - it's to minimize the angle of incidence on the microphone. That would make perfect sense to me, and unless I missed something it would completely explain the results you've been getting so far.

It might play a role. But they also say that the sound field expansion would need a lot more calculations to be accurate if the tweeter is not a the center of the virtual sphere used to simulate the sound field.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In an anechoic chamber, you have a similar problem as the speaker is rotated and angle of incident changes relative to microphone. I don't know anyone who is correcting for that.

Sure, but that's not really the same situation. Presumably, in the anechoic chamber setup, for the on axis (0°) measurement, the speaker is directly facing the microphone - it only becomes an issue for off-axis measurements (which are less critical). This means that, for the critical on-axis measurement, the angle of incidence is zero - which is ideal as the directivity of the microphone doesn't matter in this case. The result should therefore be accurate for the on-axis measurement, at least.

Actually, I just realized I was confused when I wrote this - it's even simpler than I thought: in the anechoic setup you've described, the angle of incidence on the microphone is close to zero for all measurements, including off-axis. It doesn't matter if the speaker is rotated such that the tweeter is not exactly at the same place for every measurement, because the microphones are located far enough away that the angle of incidence will still be close to zero anyway. So, really, the two situations are not comparable at all: in anechoic chamber measurements, the angle of incidence on the microphone will always be close to zero, and there is nothing to "correct". In an NFS measurement this is not true at all because the microphone is much closer to the speaker. If the angle gets too high then it is absolutely unsurprising that the measurements undershoot the true response in high frequencies, like the response you've shown in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are the 1000 measuring points related to the entire loudspeaker or are they measured completely on one half of the loudspeaker due to the symmetrical construction of the loudspeaker?
I am not using symmetry optimization so it is measuring all around. Left to right symmetry is good with the KH80 so I could have done that:

1581289434266.png

Then again given the food fights we are having over small variations, it is better that I am not. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
...and if this measurement is scaled even finer, you can see that really very little smoothing is used.
I see very few points plotted so the underlying data could very well been smoothed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you look here:
1581289618904.png

The same dip is there but much diminished. That is why I think something is amiss in their graphing of the results or how it is captured.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, the 1000 point spin finished. Here is the comparison in fitting error:

Fitting Error Order 14.png

Seems like a significant improvement in error above 10 kHz. But the effect on actual CEA-2034 is negligible (click on graphs for larger images):

CEA2034 500 and 1000 point spin data.png

The resulting measurement file is now over 1 Gigabytes. It doubled the measurement and computation time. The difference does not seem worth it.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again given the food fights we are having over small variations, it is better that I am not.
Wouldn't have objected at all to speakers with a symmetrical design.

You act as if some users here in the forum are splitting hairs over every detail :)

It would halve the time needed for the measuring process.

If you look here:
index.php

The same dip is there but much diminished. That is why I think something is amiss in their graphing of the results or how it is captured.
Note, however, that the two dotted grey lines are only 1.2dB apart.
So the dip you marked should be in the range of 0.2dB.

UPDATE:
On the other hand the anechoic chamber used by S&R allows free field conditions up to 100Hz, the lower frequencies are added to the far field measurement via a near field measurement exactly in the range around 100Hz.

So there could be a deviation due to the different measurement methods.

It would be very helpful if Klippel would provide his own measurement data for the KH 80 (if available).

Last edited:
Top Bottom