• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 81 28.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 63.7%

• Total voters

EWL5

The bad score 85 of the XMC-2 is on my humble opinion irrelevant (probably an erratic measurements or due to a software problem).
Amir received two different samples of the XMC-2 and they both measured poorly. Not a fluke!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir received two different samples of the XMC-2 and they both measured poorly. Not a fluke!
The XMC-1 and RMC-2 measured quite good, wonder what happened to the xmc-2...

rynberg

Forum Donor
Anyone buying an Emotiva processor in the last 5-6 years is a complete masochist. They have repeatedly failed to produce a reliable unit, with the promised features, and then have had the gall to attempt to gaslight their own customers about it. I wouldn't run an Emotiva processor if someone gave me one.

EWL5

Oh. Didn't know that...
Sample 1: Sep 5, 2021

Sample 2: Sept 17, 2022

As reviews were about a year apart, Emotiva could have done something to make it better but they didn't!

Lavocat

Sample 1: Sep 5, 2021

Sample 2: Sept 17, 2022

As reviews were about a year apart, Emotiva could have done something to make it better but they didn't!
Yes. Logically they now can do something to make their next gen (XMC-2+) better. Don’t know if they intend to. Don’t even know if the question was asked on the Emo Lounge… Many of XMC-2 want to upgrade for the RMC-1. Now I know why

PianoProdigy

I bought a Denon 8500 based on the review here and am running in preamp mode. Interesting that this AV 10 measures even better. I am using VTV Hypex amps for all channels. I have 4 subs and am pondering moving the RS2s to the back of the room in hopes of getting better, more uniform, response among seats. I have 2 minidsp 2x4HDs with signal coming out of Denon into back one with out RCA output going to other 2x4HD and other going to amp powering the Crowsons. I’ve heard daisy chaining the Minidsps could be adding some delay. I of course have to use the Denon’s RCAs and do get some noise in the system upon turn on (that I can ignore but would prefer not to) with some noticeable hum in the subs (which is harder to ignore).

I’m wondering if an upgrade to the AV 10 is the best way for me to gain better control of 4 subs without going to a much more expensive processor and still maintaining the ability to have 15 channels wired for flexibility between Atmos/DTS/Auro sources. I don’t know how I would interface my Crowson amp without some kind of compromise, but not sure that is a deal breaker. I would gain the ability to use XLRs on all but the Crowson amp. Not sure exactly where my bit of noise is coming from but it seems to come from Denon since it quiets when Denon is on standby.

Thoughts? I have a bad habit of spending money when I don’t need to. Not looking for a reason to spend the money and time and hassle swapping, but if it is going to improve all of these things mentioned, I may be convinced.

Gear list below:

Denon X8500HA for 7.2.6
3 monoblock VTV Hypex NC2000 amps for LCR
3 4-channel VTV Hypex NC502MP amps for others
JTR 212HTR for LCR
JTR 110HT for others
Dual JTR Orbit Shifter LFUs
Dual JTR RS2s
8-channel bridged to power 4 Crowsons for front row
JVC NZ7
Stewart Wallscreen Deluxe 16:9 175” Studiotek 130 G4 THX Microperf
Full room GIK acoustic treatments

IMG_8671.jpegIMG_9233.jpeg

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m wondering if an upgrade to the AV 10 is the best way for me to gain better control of 4 subs without going to a much more expensive processor and still maintaining the ability to have 15 channels wired for flexibility between Atmos/DTS/Auro sources. I don’t know how I would interface my Crowson amp without some kind of compromise, but not sure that is a deal breaker. I would gain the ability to use XLRs on all but the Crowson amp. Not sure exactly where my bit of noise is coming from but it seems to come from Denon since it quiets when Denon is on standby.

If you need 15+4, you pretty much need the AV10. If you don’t need all 15 channels, the HTP-1 is interesting as an intermediate upgrade from your Denon while enabling features like integrated BassEQ for movies through a web interface until you can leap to a Trinnov or something like that.

There is a mix out which is not linked to the volume which some people use with transducers, but it’s extra effort to balance the volume.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Denon 8500 based on the review here and am running in preamp mode. Interesting that this AV 10 measures even better. I am using VTV Hypex amps for all channels. I have 4 subs and am pondering moving the RS2s to the back of the room in hopes of getting better, more uniform, response among seats. I have 2 minidsp 2x4HDs with signal coming out of Denon into back one with out RCA output going to other 2x4HD and other going to amp powering the Crowsons. I’ve heard daisy chaining the Minidsps could be adding some delay. I of course have to use the Denon’s RCAs and do get some noise in the system upon turn on (that I can ignore but would prefer not to) with some noticeable hum in the subs (which is harder to ignore).

Thoughts? I have a bad habit of spending money when I don’t need to. Not looking for a reason to spend the money and time and hassle swapping, but if it is going to improve all of these things mentioned, I may be convinced.

Gear list below:

Denon X8500HA for 7.2.6
3 monoblock VTV Hypex NC2000 amps for LCR
3 4-channel VTV Hypex NC502MP amps for others
JTR 212HTR for LCR
JTR 110HT for others
Dual JTR Orbit Shifter LFUs
Dual JTR RS2s
8-channel bridged to power 4 Crowsons for front row
JVC NZ7
Stewart Wallscreen Deluxe 16:9 175” Studiotek 130 G4 THX Microperf
Full room GIK acoustic treatments

View attachment 350346View attachment 350347
To me, it is an easy decision, sell or trade-in the avr-x8500h for the AV10. Sell the minidsp too (I would sell mine that I disconnected long ago, if I can find a local user). Then you will end up with something smaller, lighter, and with less cable clutter (by eliminating the 2 minidsps that imo likely are not doing any good anyway.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have 2 minidsp 2x4HDs with signal coming out of Denon into back one with out RCA output going to other 2x4HD and other going to amp powering the Crowsons.
These small MiniDSP are absolutely entrance level DSPs. Nice to try and fool around but nothing what fits in a chain of your level. What function do they do in your setup?
So first I would try to get a better replacement for them or get rid of them at all, then you still can think about upgrading. But I would wait until we are sure ART is implemented in the AV10 cause this will be a nice step forward for the whole system.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These small MiniDSP are absolutely entrance level DSPs. Nice to try and fool around but nothing what fits in a chain of your level.

MSO: Multisub optimizer is something that many power users say is superior to DLBC. Until we officially get Dirac ART outside of a Storm Audio product, it will still be beneficial to have a MiniDSP if you have multiple subs and want more control than DLBC.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
, it will still be beneficial to have a MiniDSP ...
Just get one of the good units! The newer releases are fine!
Nobody expects to get 2 great ADCs, 4 great DACs and a DSP for about 200 bucks?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MSO: Multisub optimizer is something that many power users say is superior to DLBC. Until we officially get Dirac ART outside of a Storm Audio product, it will still be beneficial to have a MiniDSP if you have multiple subs and want more control than DLBC.

I could get +/- 1 dB or tighter without using my minidsp for the range between 20 to 120 Hz, 1/12 smoothing, that's with 2 subs and the mains. If mso can improve that further I don't think it would sound audibly better so imo not with the extra cable clutter. Of course ymmv.

ac388

Can someone recommend a multichannel power amplifier with AV10 that is also good for 2 channel listening too ? Thanks in advance

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Can someone recommend a multichannel power amplifier with AV10 that is also good for 2 channel listening too ? Thanks in advance
Mostly that is a question of what goes well with your speakers ... as long as your speakers requirements in terms of load are covered (not all amps do well with low impedance, capacitive drivers, etc...) then all decent amps will sound alike.

The key to amps "sounding different" in my experience, is that different amps "misbehave" differently when faced with a speaker load beyond their capabilities - current clipping at the power supply, will result in different types of distortion depending on the amps design (and it sounds nothing like "standard" voltage clipping... it isn't obvious! - can be a rise in distortion, which is perceived as a smearing of imaging, reduction of soundstage etc..)

The Amp10 that matches that prepro was tested at audioholics:

Nothing wrong with that amp - it is indeed a very good multichannel amp, and should provide excellent performance in 2 channel listening. Keeping in mind that in 2 channel modes, there will be more current available than when driving multi-channels... tested in 2 channel mode, it doubled the power rating into 4 ohm - that is an excellent indication that it will handle difficult loads without breaking a sweat.

And as a bonus it matches the prepro!

ac388

Noted with thanks. However, the only review I keep seeing is the Marantz combo. I hope some AV10 owners are using other brand of multichannel amp with more favourable results,especially on 2 channel listening ! Right now I am using an old Krell S1500 plus a Emotiva XPA5, for all 9 channels.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Noted with thanks. However, the only review I keep seeing is the Marantz combo. I hope some AV10 owners are using other brand of multichannel amp with more favourable results,especially on 2 channel listening ! Right now I am using an old Krell S1500 plus a Emotiva XPA5, for all 9 channels.

Marantz was quick to adopt HypeX in their flagship PM-10 and it sounded great. I expect the AMP10 to also perform very well both objectively and subjectively…

Toni71

Forum Donor
I am using three Iota 7-230 7 channels amplifiers with a AV10 (for sure overkill). This setup sounds great. Aperion Audio Energy looks like the same build, which I use one amplifier from in my stereo setup. Also great sounding. How they measure? I don't bother much. My hearing is just based on human specs. Personally, I am done with trying to hear differences in amplifiers. Good luck with the choices.

Top Bottom