• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters

daniboun

Major Contributor
You should think about a finished amplifier based on this board to reach out to wider audience, such a product deserves that.

Wait a bit ) On the way but I can't mention the name of the site which will soon offer it.:p

JayGilb

Major Contributor
This is a very good performance amp, but the price is high for the system used. I understand that 3e is a small builder that can't get parts cheap as Hypex can so he need to charge extra. I don't blame 3e for that, but it shows that relative cheap chipamps with standard amp IC's can be build cheap and good on industrial scale also for probally half the price this one is selling for. That is what we need more...
92 watts per channel (stereo) into 8 ohms for $90 USD is not what I would call high. Yes, these types of amps will come down in price, but this is a bargain at the current price.

Waxx

Major Contributor
92 watts per channel (stereo) into 8 ohms for $90 USD is not what I would call high. Yes, these types of amps will come down in price, but this is a bargain at the current price.
I don't know where you find 90$ as price, the finished amp in Europe costs about 350€ and the amp board alone (without psu, case and connectors) about 190€. But for 90€ for a finished amp would be a bargain, that is true.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I don't know where you find 90$ as price, the finished amp in Europe costs about 350€ and the amp board alone (without psu, case and connectors) about 190€. But for 90€ for a finished amp would be a bargain, that is true.

The US price is $89 for the Stéréo Module ) check here : US market
US does not have same VAT like us in the EU

While I'm at it, the Mono 480-1-29A module should claim a good 130W / 8R at respectable THD+N

index.php

Waxx

Major Contributor
The US price is $89 for the Stéréo Module ) check here : US market
US does not have same VAT like us in the EU
That is Alieexpress, so without warranty, possiblity of a fake clone and with import taxes added. I rather buy from a reputed dealer that has warranty and where the price is all included.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
From Amir's review: "I believe the module name is: 260-2-29A or EAUMT-0260-2-A. Cost seems to be US $90 for the amplifier module."

staticV3

Master Contributor
That is Alieexpress, so without warranty, possiblity of a fake clone and with import taxes added. I rather buy from a reputed dealer that has warranty and where the price is all included.
That is from 3E Audio's official AliExpress store (their only storefront).
How would 3E Audio sell you a fake 3E Audio Amp on their own store?

And how could 3E Audio provide better warranty than with a purchase from their own store?

daniboun

Major Contributor

There is one and only 3E Audio store on Aliexpress. No worries about counterfeiting.
As for the warranty side, I admit that this is the tedious side of AliExpress... Personally I prefer to go through Audiophonics and pay more.)

daniboun

Major Contributor
My loadbox has a bug that won't work when the negative speaker terminal is above ground so I usually don't run that test on this class of amplification. When I test the mono, I maybe able to do it there.

Do you have an idea of the expected date on which you are going to test the Mono module?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir.

This 3e audio TPA3255 amp seems interesting. With PFFB. I like that. 144 W into 4 Ohms/92 W into 8 Ohms. To assemble , DIY, it together with 48V power supply and everything needed, chassis, connectors and so on around €350 if I understood everything correctly according to daniboun.:)

It would have been neat to build in the amplifier (so it is not visible) together with a stereo cabinet with speakers in it. I would have done that, if you would not be so locked in with the placement of the speakers then. Something like this::)
mieli_furniture_steiger_showroom_w (1).jpg288961302611861 (1).jpg

Multicore

Major Contributor
Manufacturer Specifications for the Amp Core:

• < 85uV Output Noise (AES17,A-weighted)
  • 260W @ 1% THD+N, 1kHz, 4Ω
  • 315W @ 10% THD+N, 1kHz, 4Ω
  • 111dBA dynamic range
  • THD+N < 0.01%, 0.3W – 200W, 4Ω
  • 90% Efficient Class-D Operation (4 Ω)
  • Fully differential layout design for lowest noise and distortion
  • Very Compact size(105mm*90mm*38.5mm – L*W*H)
  • Additional power ON/OFF reset circuit for Pop noise suppression
  • BTL configuration only for best audio performance
  • AUX Power Supply Output(12V/0.2A) for DSP Pre Amplifier
  • Single supply voltage range 24V~51V(UVP:24V)
What are the specs for the inputs? It looks like the sockets accept XLR and 1/4" phone plugs. But what input voltage gets you to max power?

Amir's sweeps have output Watts on the horizontal. Can the AP display also input Volts on a second horizontal scale on these graphs?

daniboun

Major Contributor
What are the specs for the inputs? It looks like the sockets accept XLR and 1/4" phone plugs. But what input voltage gets you to max power?

Amir's sweeps have output Watts on the horizontal. Can the AP display also input Volts on a second horizontal scale on these graphs?

The Plug you see is just a 3-Pin XLR panel socket combined with 6.35 mm TRS jack. We could have used an ordinary XLR socket. (like mine)

From spec :

1701965232355.png

Nominal gain is 21.5 dB, which means it would take 2.9 Vrms input to drive it to its full rated power @ 8R (or 2.7 Vrms for 4R)

uwotm8

I don't know where you find 90$ as price
It's another board, this exact one is 125 euro on aliexpress
1701968656749.png

Not sure about taxes but if you can get it for less than [french DIY site] asks why not? It's the same exact board. Chinese. Noname.

But at the same time you can get ICE Power 2x215W for 160 euro https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ampl...stereo-amplifier-module-2x215w-4-p-17317.html so the choice doesn't seem that obvious. Add PSU, case and some minor stuff including wiring and 160 magically turns into 300-400.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
View attachment 332333
Not sure about taxes but if you can get it for less than [french DIY site] asks why not? It's the same exact board. Chinese. Noname.

But at the same time you can get ICE Power 2x215W for 160 euro https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ampl...stereo-amplifier-module-2x215w-4-p-17317.html so the choice doesn't seem that obvious. Add PSU, case and some minor stuff including wiring and 160 magically turns into 300-400.
If that is from the US webshop of 3e, you still need to pay import taxes that add to the price and still got no EU waranty service. But if that does not matter for you, go ahead...

daniboun

Major Contributor
View attachment 332333

The one you shared is a 3E audio. As said many times there is a unique 3E audio store in Aliexpress.

Regarding the Icepower please check measurements then you will understand )

MCH

Major Contributor
I am always for warranty and not giving up my consumer rights but in this particular case, a premium of 44 euros/35% (169 vs 125 taxes and shipping included with coupon) for the warranty of a diy component....
I am sure audiophonics knows how to deal with the warranty of this sort of products, but it seems to me a very tricky area for warranty claims.
Anyways, not for me but great to see this level of performance in an affordable diy amp. Curious to see the finished commercial offer daniboun mentioned.

Top Bottom