• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 21.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 216 66.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 33 10.2%

• Total voters
The first Class-D amplifier was invented by British scientist Alec Reeves in the 1950s and was first called by that name in 1955. The first commercial product was a kit module called the X-10 released by Sinclair Radionics in 1964
In the 80s Bose implemented an offline-powered Class-D mounted inside their Bose 800 commercial speaker. A bit noisy compared to modern units.

I imagine by now someone has utilized an offline Class-D amplifier inside their subwoofer.

The first Class-D amplifier was invented by British scientist Alec Reeves in the 1950s and was first called by that name in 1955. The first commercial product was a kit module called the X-10 released by Sinclair Radionics in 1964
FYI & FWIW

Yes, if a amp has been on soak for a extended time then they can actually fry the skin in it's own oils etc. It hurts a lot. :D
If they get THAT hot, they are probably not big enough!

Actually, it does.

It will outlast any Fosi, Hypex or Purifi product and its associated SMPS you can dream up. It will most likely still be working and repairable 40+ years from now. When all your Fosi/Hypex gear is 100ft underground, poisoning the water table with heavy metals, this funny old Schiit amplifier will still be pumping out tunes, most likely running on solar power, inverters and batteries.

I would buy this over just about anything right now. It's an honest, well designed US made power amp at a good price. What more do you want or think you are 'entitled' to?
THIS.

That fact that's it's US made puts it at the top of my next amp list. To pair with my US made speakers.

The Vidar 2 at idle is 50W. I really wish it had a trigger
I strongly recommend the APC G5BLK. It has sequential power on and off.

No A/C power goes to my gear when not in use.

The Vidar 2 at idle is 50W. I really wish it had a trigger
This outlet has a trigger input, it has worked quite well for me having smaller components with trigger output turn on amps.
iu

For those who complain about the heating of Vidar 2, I would advise placing two 12-14cm computer fans on both sides of the radiators. By connecting them via a USB adapter and a V-splitter to a phone charger, you can forget about heating. It is advisable to choose a pair of hydrodynamic bearing fans with a long service life so that you do not need to turn them off. It is advisable to first check whether the fans will start at 5V and whether they will make noticeable noise at this supply voltage. Fanning the amplifier will lower the temperature inside it and extend the life of the electrolytic capacitors.

Attachments

• 20240531_170425.jpg
    20240531_170425.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 66
For those who complain about the heating of Vidar 2, I would advise placing two 12-14cm computer fans on both sides of the radiators. By connecting them via a USB adapter and a V-splitter to a phone charger, you can forget about heating. It is advisable to choose a pair of hydrodynamic bearing fans with a long service life so that you do not need to turn them off. It is advisable to first check whether the fans will start at 5V and whether they will make noticeable noise at this supply voltage. Fanning the amplifier will lower the temperature inside it and extend the life of the electrolytic capacitors.
Glad it is helping the heating issue, but it looks ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom