• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

Travis

I do have to say that the generic topic deleted message sent by the moderators is extremely rude and unbecoming of ASR.
Have not seen that, I must hang out in the low drama areas. Only seen one locked to all, not deleted with a moderator explanation for doing so.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I do have to say that the generic topic deleted message sent by the moderators is extremely rude and unbecoming of ASR.
Can you point to an example please? If what you say is correct then this is something we can work towards improving. We don’t want to be rude or unbecoming if we can avoid it. If you rather discuss this in private please contact us via PM and we can discuss. ;)

On edit: If you are talking about the “Store for Sale in Portland, Oregon” for sale thread you started. There are several problems with this thread. We don’t permit unregistered Vendors to post for sale stuff on our site. We are a commercial free site and we avoid any advertising or the appearance of same. If you contact us and register as an Audio Company, then you can post for sale content in the Desperate Dealers section of the Forum. Here is a link to the rules for this type of activity:

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But wait. I thought we simultaneously push cheap stuff, expensive stuff, and stuff from favored manufacturers.

Reactions: VQR

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No no no, we are jealous of the expensive stuff.
Keith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But wait. I thought we simultaneously push cheap stuff, expensive stuff, and stuff from favored manufacturers.
Yet, ASR is willing to call out those sub-standard (nearing POS and/or audiophool) products that deserve to be called-out.
Life is always like that: isn't it?:p

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet, ASR is willing to call out those sub-standard (nearing POS and/or audiophool) products that deserve to be called-out.
Life is always like that: isn't it?:p
Only because they don't pay Amir enough.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
(More than) last posts are off topic, not?
Be nice ;) (be in Nice personally would prefer, of course:cool:).

VQR

Only because they don't pay Amir enough.
Don't you know? Since ASR accepts donations, there has to be under-the-table deals to favor products! Manufacturers must be sending donations; otherwise, why would Amir be critical of prducts, unlike the mags that need manufacturer ad revenue?

ozzy9832001

The one thing I will say that does irk me is when people reply to a thread with go read this or that book. I understand it's important to do some research and all to really understand the topics fully, but a little more effort to actually answer the question, then end with for more info this book is an extreme wealth of knowledge.

It's actually kind of insulting for that to be the only answer. Probably better to not reply at all.

I always found that PC overclockers and audiophiles were similar. Though the barrier of entry is less on the overclocking side of things and generally, the people are more accepting of newcomers. Imagine if someone asked about overclocking and the answer they got was...go read this book on physics so you understand how heat transfer from one object to another.

Some people are very passionate and I get that, but sometimes I just shake my head and wondering why someone bothered to post in the first place.

Otherwise, I find the people here to be very pleasant and helpful.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
The one thing I will say that does irk me is when people reply to a thread with go read this or that book. I understand it's important to do some research and all to really understand the topics fully, but a little more effort to actually answer the question, then end with for more info this book is an extreme wealth of knowledge.

It's actually kind of insulting for that to be the only answer. Probably better to not reply at all.

I always found that PC overclockers and audiophiles were similar. Though the barrier of entry is less on the overclocking side of things and generally, the people are more accepting of newcomers. Imagine if someone asked about overclocking and the answer they got was...go read this book on physics so you understand how heat transfer from one object to another.

Some people are very passionate and I get that, but sometimes I just shake my head and wondering why someone bothered to post in the first place.

Otherwise, I find the people here to be very pleasant and helpful.
Sometimes, referring people to a very detailed answer, or the full research - a book - is the only way to answer - for example when the first sixteen responses have all been rejected on the grounds that the information in those answers is insufficient or not backed up by proper research.

Also, I doubt that many people come to overclocker forums and claim that the heat transfer in their device doesn't follow the laws of physics, or that adding more heat actually improves performance, or that a special form of inefficient overclocker makes the game they are playing look better...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes, referring people to a very detailed answer, or the full research - a book - is the only way to answer - for example when the first sixteen responses have all been rejected on the grounds that the information in those answers is insufficient or not backed up by proper research.

By then you know you are dealing with someone who is just trying to cause problems. It's why I never participate on the 'subjective' venues, such as the kind of moderate Stereophile site, or the more lunatic places, such as the site Fremer ramrods (I mean that in the 'cowboy' sense, Mikey!). To me those folks are hopeless fools; for them I'm denying reality--so what's the point.

One thing--in this day and age of limited social interaction, many people look to the 'boards' and 'groups' as a method of 'virtual' friendships. It satisfies a human need. You encounter the 'off topic, stream of consciousness' thing... many times the discussion will tend become rather casual, wandering more than a bit off the original question/topic.

Of all the forums I inhabit (mostly lurking), ASR is one of the more friendly, and accommodating. At least that is my impression. The PC scene can be down and dirty, but what you won't find are people arguing over the kind of wire you should use to plug your computer into the wall socket. So that hobby's got that going for it.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
We need to be aware that as this site becomes more successful, it will attract more people whose past experience and viewpoint will be drawn from subjectivist media and venues, though.
Typically, existing members are around 10% of people viewing the site, guests viewing will become members often to question a viewpoint expressed by a member, or to ask a question that is based on what they believe. Eventually, the old hands on the site will be overwhelmed and entire threads will look just like those of the subjectivist sites at times.

This is only to be expected. I guess we will engage, and unlike in other places we will have the opportunity to: indeed, it is what happens already

BKr0n

I just started here a bit ago. I wanted to build a set of speakers as a neat little project to work on. I figured I don't have all the answers, and in some cases, don't even know the right questions to ask. I joined ASR because on other forums I noticed that a lot of analysis was more anecdotal instead of based on evidence. I have learned so much in the past 5 months. Everything from filter design, to analog vs digital, and even some enclosure design (I also didn't know what SINAD was before I joined). However, my biggest gripe has always been the condescension. Look... I will be the first to raise my hand and say "no, I don't know everything." I picked this hobby up because I love audio and thought maybe with a little education I would be able to make some of the things that sound really good instead of wringing my wallet out for them. But time and time again, I run into the same old situation. People who do know better and, instead of providing mentorship and learning, only provide further consternation and frustration. This isn't easy. Like... at all. It's hard. There is so much that goes into designing even just a set of studio monitors. I had no idea that there was this much depth. It doesn't help at all when I ask a question to tell me "I'm out of my depth" or "how do you not know this" or something else along those lines. It only makes it tougher, and even worse, makes the hobby far less attractive than when I first started. I don't know how. Fine. Doesn't give you free reign to berate me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing because I'm new.

pinger

I've only been here maybe two months but lurked for probably a year or so. I posted a few questions and got very good helpful cordial answers. The amount of knowledge folks have about audio is very impressive. I like to look at others systems also. I do subscribe to Stereophile but I'm well aware most of their reviews regarding sound quality especially with cables etc are bullsh!t. Its good to keep abreast though of audio industry developments and I like the pictures !

D

Deleted member 21219

I just started here a bit ago. I wanted to build a set of speakers as a neat little project to work on. I figured I don't have all the answers, and in some cases, don't even know the right questions to ask. I joined ASR because on other forums I noticed that a lot of analysis was more anecdotal instead of based on evidence. I have learned so much in the past 5 months. Everything from filter design, to analog vs digital, and even some enclosure design (I also didn't know what SINAD was before I joined). However, my biggest gripe has always been the condescension. Look... I will be the first to raise my hand and say "no, I don't know everything." I picked this hobby up because I love audio and thought maybe with a little education I would be able to make some of the things that sound really good instead of wringing my wallet out for them. But time and time again, I run into the same old situation. People who do know better and, instead of providing mentorship and learning, only provide further consternation and frustration. This isn't easy. Like... at all. It's hard. There is so much that goes into designing even just a set of studio monitors. I had no idea that there was this much depth. It doesn't help at all when I ask a question to tell me "I'm out of my depth" or "how do you not know this" or something else along those lines. It only makes it tougher, and even worse, makes the hobby far less attractive than when I first started. I don't know how. Fine. Doesn't give you free reign to berate me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing because I'm new.

I have several comments on your post.

1) This is the internet. You cannot control, filter or limit other people's comments. Believe me ... it's been tried. It doesn't work.
2) Because of #1, you have to develop a thick skin. My way of doing this is to simply ignore comments that are argumentative, negative or provocative. The maxim I follow is, "Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean you need to bark back."
3) Building your own speakers is difficult, but designing your own speakers is extremely difficult. To ground yourself and get into the basics, start reading something like The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickason. (cheaper here: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results&ds=20)
4) When someone criticizes you by saying that such-and-such is beyond you, ask them how to learn the basics behind that, so it WON'T be beyond you.
5) If you get an answer to #4, you may ... just maybe ... realize that the posters that you thought were condescending weren't actually condescending at all. Maybe they were trying to guide you realistically, although a bit more realistically than you would have preferred. That doesn't mean that they were "berating" you.
6) And finally: Some things are hard to learn and take years to master. If designing speakers was easy, Danny could do it. :p

Don't get disheartened. Blowing up party balloons in a briar patch means you have to deal with a lot of little pricks.

Jim

BKr0n

I have several comments on your post.

1) This is the internet. You cannot control, filter or limit other people's comments. Believe me ... it's been tried. It doesn't work.
2) Because of #1, you have to develop a thick skin. My way of doing this is to simply ignore comments that are argumentative, negative or provocative. The maxim I follow is, "Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean you need to bark back."
3) Building your own speakers is difficult, but designing your own speakers is extremely difficult. To ground yourself and get into the basics, start reading something like The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickason. (cheaper here: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the loudspeaker design cookbook&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results&ds=20)
4) When someone criticizes you by saying that such-and-such is beyond you, ask them how to learn the basics behind that, so it WON'T be beyond you.
5) If you get an answer to #4, you may ... just maybe ... realize that the posters that you thought were condescending weren't actually condescending at all. Maybe they were trying to guide you realistically, although a bit more realistically than you would have preferred. That doesn't mean that they were "berating" you.
6) And finally: Some things are hard to learn and take years to master. If designing speakers was easy, Danny could do it. :p

Don't get disheartened. Blowing up party balloons in a briar patch means you have to deal with a lot of little pricks.

Jim
I have two retorts of my own
:p

1) I actually found an online copy of 7th edition and I've been reading through that. Thinking about picking up 8th from Amazon so I can look over the added chapters.
2) Yes this is the internet. I have plumbed the depths of reddit and 4chan and have climbed the lofty summits of mt. Google. I know what to expect. However, this is our house. We (collective "we") can choose to be better, or not. Nobody says we're obligated to act a certain way.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two retorts of my own
:p

1) I actually found an online copy of 7th edition and I've been reading through that. Thinking about picking up 8th from Amazon so I can look over the added chapters.
2) Yes this is the internet. I have plumbed the depths of reddit and 4chan and have climbed the lofty summits of mt. Google. I know what to expect. However, this is our house. We (collective "we") can choose to be better, or not. Nobody says we're obligated to act a certain way.
FWIW have not found Reddit very good compared to here or even Audioholics....or even avsforum.com for that matter.

Top Bottom