• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

pogo

Major Contributor
I had actually asked about DLART for my M33. Here, however, one keeps still covered, but a NO sounds different ;)

Bren Derlin

That may be true for older generation Denon's and lower-end Denon's, but you can see that the X8500H and X3700H measure exceptionally well even against dedicated 2-ch systems. The amplifier section on the NAD T778 isn't great at the lower power of 5W.

index.php

and pre-amp out is just OK
index.php

Do these graphs actually indicate how well these units process and isolate sound in 2, 5, 7, 9 channel playback (with and without subs and atmos)? Or... are we suggesting all AVRs/2-channel stereos are equal - and the only deciding factor is the DAC? Asking for a friend...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it has been 2 1/2 years since DLBC has been released. I wouldn't believe it until I see it at this point.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do these graphs actually indicate how well these units process and isolate sound in 2, 5, 7, 9 channel playback (with and without subs and atmos)? Or... are we suggesting all AVRs/2-channel stereos are equal - and the only deciding factor is the DAC? Asking for a friend...

SINAD DOES NOT represent multichannel movie sound because of channel crosstalk issues. It probably is pretty good for 2 channel estimates though. I haven’t seen good SINAD and horrible 2 channel crosstalk.

For movies, the other issue is sound field processing. The new Sony AZ, Yamaha CinemaDSP HD3, and Trinnov Optimizer technology are able to do speaker remapping and positioning which works really nicely in real world applications where your speakers aren’t in the perfect Dolby locations.

pogo

Major Contributor
With this you can still change the speaker level and the delay time even if Dirac is activated: Link
However, the delay can only be changed roughly in 30 cm steps.
It also seems to work with the M17.

TatuHoo

Hi

I guess this is common phenomena with Dirac & Nad T778, but after running the calibration I need to turn up the volume to 18 - 16 (like 75 % up) to get decent listening volume for music. Is there way to fix this? Thank you in advance :)

pogo

Major Contributor
If the possible volume is sufficient for you, you don't have to change anything. Otherwise you could edit your target curves to use the unused headroom that DL reserves, i.e. add an offset.
See also here: Link

TatuHoo

If the possible volume is sufficient for you, you don't have to change anything. Otherwise you could edit your target curves to use the unused headroom that DL reserves, i.e. add an offset.
See also here: Link
Thx for your reply. I have had several room corrections devices & software in my use during last 5 years. Dirac is the only that represents me with such an issue. It feels kind of funny why it would make it so that I have to up the volume so very high to get decent listening loudness. Is there really anything I can do in calibration phase that would allow me to have higher loudness? Strange indeed. I had temporarily the double bass turned on just to test the feature & what I learned was that as I turned it off loudness was increased, especially in the low register that is quite strange in my book.

TatuHoo

Thx for your reply. I have had several room corrections devices & software in my use during last 5 years. Dirac is the only that represents me with such an issue. It feels kind of funny why it would make it so that I have to up the volume so very high to get decent listening loudness. Is there really anything I can do in calibration phase that would allow me to have higher loudness? Strange indeed. I had temporarily the double bass turned on just to test the feature & what I learned was that as I turned it off loudness was increased, especially in the low register that is quite strange in my book.
I found a work-around. I have active front speakers (Genelec G5). I had the +10 db switch on my Genelecs turned on. This time before calibration I turned it off, did calibration & after that turned the +10db on again. So, now front speakers loudness if good for music listening. I know there will be some issues once I start watching a movie as fronts are +10 db higher that other speakers. I might need do some adjusting. But music sounds great :).

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tried a lot with my old MiniDSP for Dirac‘s loudness in a Mch system. The problem seemed to be, that Dirac starts with the front left speaker. This is in most cases not the closest speaker. Hence Dirac allows plenty of headroom so that the closest speaker does not saturate later. Numerous times did I boost the first level only for the system to tell me that after 1/2h of calibrating it saturated with the rear left speaker, voiding the whole calibration sequence.

TatuHoo

I tried a lot with my old MiniDSP for Dirac‘s loudness in a Mch system. The problem seemed to be, that Dirac starts with the front left speaker. This is in most cases not the closest speaker. Hence Dirac allows plenty of headroom so that the closest speaker does not saturate later. Numerous times did I boost the first level only for the system to tell me that after 1/2h of calibrating it saturated with the rear left speaker, voiding the whole calibration sequence.
I never had that problem. Only the very low volume has been issue. I have had to turn volume up to 75 % - 85 % depending on source to get decent volume.

WilliamO

To buy or not to buy? I'm down to this, the new Sony ES5000, Emotiva BASx MC1, Marantz 50. Leaning towards Marantz or Sony for HDMI 2.1. All external amplification and DAC for digital 2ch audio. I have (2) Outlaw Audio 2220 on L/R and an Outlaw Audio 7000x on C and surrounds - 7.2.4. (2) REL subwoofers, Cambridge Audio 851N. Speakers are (3) DALI M-375 and (6) DALI H-50.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To buy or not to buy? I'm down to this, the new Sony ES5000, Emotiva BASx MC1, Marantz 50. Leaning towards Marantz or Sony for HDMI 2.1. All external amplification and DAC for digital 2ch audio. I have (2) Outlaw Audio 2220 on L/R and an Outlaw Audio 7000x on C and surrounds - 7.2.4. (2) REL subwoofers, Cambridge Audio 851N. Speakers are (3) DALI M-375 and (6) DALI H-50.
If you already have external amplification take a look at the Anthem AVM70 or the new Denon AVRs with full pre-amp mode. I think those will serve you better for the money and give you more flexibility for your music listening setup.

Snova65

The NAD support has just written me that not only for the stereo devices DLBC will come, but also for the T778 ;)
Did they tell you when it might be available? I am very undecided whether to wait or buy another AVR with DLBC

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did they tell you when it might be available? I am very undecided whether to wait or buy another AVR with DLBC
I would caution you against making an AVR purchase based on future promises. Those tend to not come true. For example Roon certification has been "coming soon" on my Anthem for 2 years. So whichever you buy, make sure it has the features you want on the day of purchase.

Snova65

I would caution you against making an AVR purchase based on future promises. Those tend to not come true. For example Roon certification has been "coming soon" on my Anthem for 2 years. So whichever you buy, make sure it has the features you want on the day of purchase.
Thanks for your reply... and I fully agree with you. My point is that I already have the T778 and I don't know if to wait for the DLBC upgrade or buy another AVR in the same range with DLBC already available (ex. Arcam AVR20 or the new Onkyo TX-RZ70)

Top Bottom