• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing NAD T778

pogo

Major Contributor
Which Dirac Live version did you use with the T778 that you had such problems?

OP
M

mannycala

Man I just saw this. I'm extremely picky with 2 channel audio + sub. I had the NAD T778 and I was having problems with it so I sold it. Turned out the problem wasn't the receiver but by then I already committed. I've owned all the receivers on your list. I went with the Arcam AVR21 and I use a large 2 channel external amp to drive my B&W 702 S2 speakers. I'm very disappointed with the sound quality of the receiver. Actually I'm disappointed in more than that, but I'll focus on sound quality. If you go from the NAD T778 for music to the others, you'll be disappointed. Take your NAD and copy the speaker distances and levels, input those into the receiver with Dirac turned OFF and that receiver will become alive. The Arcam screen sucks. You'll miss the NAD screen. Arcam has no on screen menu. You can use a laptop but it's not user friendly. Their version of BluOS sucks. But I'm mostly disappointed with the sound quality. There is a receiver that I can recommend to others that may be in the same boat. The new Sony ES receivers, the upper models (5000 or 7000) sound very good and it's a good overall experience. The NAD just has more detail in their sound. The Anthem DAC isn't as good as the NAD. Onkyo and Yamaha are in the mainstream brands and the NAD is in a different league. If you go mainstream you might want to consider the Marantz Cinema 50 or 40 but again, the NAD sounds better.
Many thanks for this feedback.
I know Yamaha and Onkyo are considered mainstream, but on the other side I think some good products are available from both companies. did you try the rz70? I’m currently looking at that. from specs point of view it gas all I need. and Chromecast support is the best way to manage qozub streaming (IMHO), i prefer more than BluOS. I know Nad has good sound quality, I tried also on stereo amplifier (M33), but ad said I would move to AB class amplifier, that in general I prefer.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can verify that the Arcam also has the same ESS9026 PRO DACs and compared to the NAD DAC, it is disappointing. The Arcam isn't a terrible sound. I'd put it above most brands but the Arcam AVR21 is 4700 and it's not worth that. It also has too many drawbacks. I sold my NAD T778 and after buying the Arcam after having the Yamaha, I'm going to buy the NAD T778 again. I know I'm going down in features. 8K to 4K. But the user experience, especially for music, is so much better on the NAD. I have a large two channel external Emotiva amp and I bumped up the gain of the fronts on the NAD. Bumping up the fronts made it possible for the music to have more detail without having to turn it up as much. Then of course when you turn it up you'll be in heaven. If you don't have good audio sound from your NAD then you need to do some fine tuning. The NAD is the only receiver that I can actually hear the breath of a singer as they inhale and exhale. I did leave out Rotel but they only have one model and you might not like it. The Rotel sounds great as well.
We have slightly different opinions obviously, as I believe (based on experience and knowledge of many lab test reports) that like quality amps, avrs at the level of the T778, Arcam, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony's all sound may be subtly different but not distinguishable in most use conditions except when DSPs are used, such as different sound modes, room correction/equalization etc. So for DSP use, that most people will do, it will be a tough choice because there isn't much, if any lab test results to go with. To me, I would just based my choice on marketing information (unwillingly) but will try hard to find supporting data, such as the type of DSP ICs used sound modes/formats available, and to some extent go with my own subjective measurements in demo rooms. Overall, I would say at the level of the T778, there is almost no point wasting time in second guessing its so called "sound quality", as speakers and room, aside from the recording quality of the contents, it much more important. If those are good, any of those you mentioned will sound great, and also, that's regardless of whether TI, AKM, or ESS DAC ICs are used, as long as they are at the near flagship level, such as ES9026Pro and 9018 that are about 2 to 3 notches down from ESS's flagships.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sure. As I understood the issue is related to not compatibility and cant be solved. So far the main problem is that Nad HDMI board do not discover the status change of the tv when move from hdmi to tv, and keep the hdmi audio input.
In the meantime you could power down the NAd, first with the front switch and after 10 sec with the switch at the back and start again. It will rescan the HDMI ports.

OP
M

mannycala

In the meantime you could power down the NAd, first with the front switch and after 10 sec with the switch at the back and start again. It will rescan the HDMI ports.
Thanks for suggestion. unfortunaty Nad is already unmounted and sent to hi-fi shop for selling

Top Bottom