• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing NAD T778

mannycala

Dears,
I am considering to chance my AVR NAD T778 with a new one.
I like over all the features of Nad, the bluos app is very nice and also Dirac calibration is good. In terms of sound , focusing on music reproduction in stereo (+sub) configuration is also good, I would say not fantastic but good for an AVR.
Main reason for change is that ARC is not working with my TV (Sony Bravia) and therefore I currently connect the avr to tv with optical cable but I really don’t like this configuration because most of the times I just dont open the AVR and keep tv audio. Considering the chance, I would get the opportunity also to improve in audio quality for music reproduction (stereo configuration + sub) and looking to AVRs that have good AB class amplifier. Currently my options are:

- Anthem MRX740: I am sure there will be an improvement for audio quality but I am worried that Arc issue will be same as Nad
- Arcam Avr11: same considerations of Anthem
- Onkyo TX-RZ70: specs seems top level, almost sure that Arc will work ad expected, not sure if sound quality is comparable with two models above ( mainly preamp quality)
- Yamaha A6A + Ab class power amplifier for 2 front channels: best compatibility with tv and arc, probabily worse in terms of room correction and preamp quality.

Any suggestion about highlighted models or alternatives?
Many thanks,
Marco

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi there, and welcome to the site.

Threads can get buried quickly, so I'm glad you bumped it up.

The consensus around here is that the class of amp really isn't relevant to listening quality, so choosing based on other features might make more sense.

Denon AVRs are probably the most recommended, but differences between AVRs is going to have more to do with their room correction (Dirac vs Audyssey vs whatever) than the electronics.

OP
M

mannycala

About Denon, only product in line with expectations is the AVC-A1H, but actually is out of budget.
Reccomandation about Denon is reated to overall reliability or to audio quality?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I doubt you'll want to hear this, but differences in audio quality between decent solid state devices used within their design parameters are going to be very difficult to differentiate (assuming you can't peek/cheat to see or know what's playing).

The room correction element is going to be the difference.

What speakers are you listening to? They may be particularly difficult to drive, so you may need to pay attention to the power and ability to handle low impedance loads for example, but in general sound improvements will come from the speakers/room much moreso than electronics.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no one can support?
I don't believe the MRX740 will improve sound quality if you listen to music without using room correction.

For movies, if you use dsp functions, the two will likely sound different overall but only you can say which one sounds better, because it is a subjective matter.

In terms of room correction, objectively I would say the 778 is better because DL can do a better job reducing the negative effects of the room, but again, subjectively you may prefer Anthem's even if the frequency response post calibration is less accurate than DL's.

Denon or Marantz is good, in that you get both Audyssey and Dirac.

OP
M

mannycala

I will use room correction for sure. I like dirac even if I think that the eccessive correction leeds to top much “digital” effect in stereo listening. Similar with D class amplifier. My experience is mainly related to stereo amplifiers and setup and actually I can really appreciate differences related to pre and power amplifiers. My speakers (Lyngdorf fr-1) are not difficult to drive but they need the integration of a subwoofer also for stereo setup.
I understood Denon/marantz are the ones preferred bere. Any comparison with Onkyo rz70?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will use room correction for sure. I like dirac even if I think that the eccessive correction leeds to top much “digital” effect in stereo listening. Similar with D class amplifier. My experience is mainly related to stereo amplifiers and setup and actually I can really appreciate differences related to pre and power amplifiers. My speakers (Lyngdorf fr-1) are not difficult to drive but they need the integration of a subwoofer also for stereo setup.
I understood Denon/marantz are the ones preferred bere. Any comparison with Onkyo rz70?
The RZ70 would be more comparable to the Marantz SR8015 in terms of power amplifier but it has DL, and I like the fact that it uses better DACs so imo it is a better bet. To be clear, I am not saying the Onkyo will "sound better" (whatever that means..) just because it has the ES9026Pro DAC chip that has much higher SINAD than the D+M's mediocre PCM5102A dac chip, but I am ocd enough to prefer the DAC chip that offers better specs, knowing that it is not likely to have audible benefits, ommv.

OP
M

mannycala

Actually I expext all components may impact in sound quality (mainly in stereo setup). I tested different dac in same setup and the difference is huge (mainly in terms of stage, details). same for preamp stereo vs AV.
I am looking for a product that has performances similar to a good stereo integrated amp, but bugfree for tv/hdmi compatibility and overall av features.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask why you think changing AVR will solve the arc issues you are having?

OP
M

mannycala

Because it was working perfectly in my previous setup with Yamaha 2040 and then 1060

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it was working perfectly in my previous setup with Yamaha 2040 and then 1060
Have you contacted NAD to see what the issue is?

OP
M

mannycala

Sure. As I understood the issue is related to not compatibility and cant be solved. So far the main problem is that Nad HDMI board do not discover the status change of the tv when move from hdmi to tv, and keep the hdmi audio input.

OP
M

mannycala

I am also evaluating Marantz Cinema 40? How is performing vs the models highligted above? Do you know what is the dac used?

Deckard71

I still cannot believe that Marantz replaced the premium AKM dacs with cheaper PCM5102A and increased prices 20% in the new series

jacob234

Dears,
I like over all the features of Nad, the bluos app is very nice and also Dirac calibration is good. In terms of sound , focusing on music reproduction in stereo (+sub) configuration is also good, I would say not fantastic but good for an AVR.
Main reason for change is that ARC is not working with my TV (Sony Bravia) and therefore I currently connect the avr to tv with optical cable but I really don’t like this configuration because most of the times I just dont open the AVR and keep tv audio. Considering the chance, I would get the opportunity also to improve in audio quality for music reproduction (stereo configuration + sub) and looking to AVRs that have good AB class amplifier. Currently my options are:

- Anthem MRX740: I am sure there will be an improvement for audio quality but I am worried that Arc issue will be same as Nad
- Onkyo TX-RZ70: specs seems top level, almost sure that Arc will work ad expected, not sure if sound quality is comparable with two models above ( mainly preamp quality)
- Yamaha A6A + Ab class power amplifier for 2 front channels: best compatibility with tv and arc, probabily worse in terms of room correction and preamp quality.

Many thanks,
Marco
There is no beeter support form NAD. They bother me and never reply may email. After 3 moths got problem " Amplifier is to hot".

tedh1979

Dears,

Many thanks,
Marco
Man I just saw this. I'm extremely picky with 2 channel audio + sub. I had the NAD T778 and I was having problems with it so I sold it. Turned out the problem wasn't the receiver but by then I already committed. I've owned all the receivers on your list. I went with the Arcam AVR21 and I use a large 2 channel external amp to drive my B&W 702 S2 speakers. I'm very disappointed with the sound quality of the receiver. Actually I'm disappointed in more than that, but I'll focus on sound quality. If you go from the NAD T778 for music to the others, you'll be disappointed. Take your NAD and copy the speaker distances and levels, input those into the receiver with Dirac turned OFF and that receiver will become alive. The Arcam screen sucks. You'll miss the NAD screen. Arcam has no on screen menu. You can use a laptop but it's not user friendly. Their version of BluOS sucks. But I'm mostly disappointed with the sound quality. There is a receiver that I can recommend to others that may be in the same boat. The new Sony ES receivers, the upper models (5000 or 7000) sound very good and it's a good overall experience. The NAD just has more detail in their sound. The Anthem DAC isn't as good as the NAD. Onkyo and Yamaha are in the mainstream brands and the NAD is in a different league. If you go mainstream you might want to consider the Marantz Cinema 50 or 40 but again, the NAD sounds better.

tedh1979

The RZ70 would be more comparable to the Marantz SR8015 in terms of power amplifier but it has DL, and I like the fact that it uses better DACs so imo it is a better bet. To be clear, I am not saying the Onkyo will "sound better" (whatever that means..) just because it has the ES9026Pro DAC chip that has much higher SINAD than the D+M's mediocre PCM5102A dac chip, but I am ocd enough to prefer the DAC chip that offers better specs, knowing that it is not likely to have audible benefits, ommv.
I can verify that the Arcam also has the same ESS9026 PRO DACs and compared to the NAD DAC, it is disappointing. The Arcam isn't a terrible sound. I'd put it above most brands but the Arcam AVR21 is 4700 and it's not worth that. It also has too many drawbacks. I sold my NAD T778 and after buying the Arcam after having the Yamaha, I'm going to buy the NAD T778 again. I know I'm going down in features. 8K to 4K. But the user experience, especially for music, is so much better on the NAD. I have a large two channel external Emotiva amp and I bumped up the gain of the fronts on the NAD. Bumping up the fronts made it possible for the music to have more detail without having to turn it up as much. Then of course when you turn it up you'll be in heaven. If you don't have good audio sound from your NAD then you need to do some fine tuning. The NAD is the only receiver that I can actually hear the breath of a singer as they inhale and exhale. I did leave out Rotel but they only have one model and you might not like it. The Rotel sounds great as well.

Top Bottom