• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! Marantz Cinema 60

dannyinformal

Heya lads,

I have a Denon AVR-x2000 which exhibits some quirks, Airplay sometimes works, other times it doesn't work. Anyway, I am considering replacing it with a decentn AV receiver and since I'm not an audiophile; I just want to watch films in surround and listen to some music - no big deal - I'm also looking for something that LOOKS good.

This, was hard.

I found the NAD T778 which looks great but then saw the price and I was like AAAARGH.
Then I found the Ruark R410 and thought YES, THIS IS IT. Fits perfectly in our home. Alas, not a, AV receiver.

So I ended up at the silver Marantz Cinema s70, which according to this site, is utter crap.

Long story short, is the Marantz Cinema 60 DAB any better? Or is it, like the s70, a bad deal in total?

I can go up to 2000 euro, but would prefer not to, since I probably won't hear the difference anyway.

I will be using this speaker set (q-acoustics q3010i):

I appreciate all your help; I'm a massive newb when it comes to this stuff.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I hope you didn't already buy QA set.
My recommendation is stay on Denon AVR and go with SVS speakers set. They are a bit mid boosted (SVS Prime bookshelf's) but for movie's that can even be seen as plus. QA are on opposite side and QA Q3010i are small.
Anyhow:
Price difference ain't big and eventually consider getting one more SVS-SB1000 if possible and after you see how it turns out.

OP
D

dannyinformal

Hey Zolalll! Thanks for your reply! I already have the Q-Acoustic speakers; got them fairly cheap a few years ago; less than 800 euro for the whole set, if I recall correctly.

Is there a reason you advice the Denon vs the Marantz 60 dab?

Again, sorry for the possibly stupid questions >.<

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Actually go with this SVS package instead, my bad. Difference is between SVS-SB1000 and SVS-SB1000 Pro.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hey Zolalll! Thanks for your reply! I already have the Q-Acoustic speakers; got them fairly cheap a few years ago; less than 800 euro for the whole set, if I recall correctly.

Is there a reason you advice the Denon vs the Marantz 60 dab?

Again, sorry for the possibly stupid questions >.<
Denon/Marantz is the same thing with different price tag. Would have been better that you didn't rush with speakers. As it is considered upgrading main L and R full range ones. Either for QA Q3030i or Q3050i and still with pair of sub's.

OP
D

dannyinformal

Denon/Marantz is the same thing with different price tag. Would have been better that you didn't rush with speakers. As it is considered upgrading main L and R full range ones. Either for QA Q3030i or Q3050i and still with pair of sub's.
If thats the case, wouldn't marantz be better, since it's cheaper?

I actually had big-ass Jamo front speakers, but the wife really disliked them. So I gave them to my moms and got the Qaudio, which were nice and small and easy to hide.

I don't know what full range means, but they seem to sound fine? Even though I need to switch manually to stereo when I listen to music; surround sounds weird with most songs. Everything tends to come out of the center speaker.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Marantz usually costs more so I don't think we are talking about comparative models. This is uper range Denon which turned to be very good for AVR. Full range are big speakers or at least those suitable to cross @80 Hz (cone driver response not port cuff). In that regard neither Q3030 or 3050 are that with ideal crossover at 120~110 Hz but better than small Q3010 @ 160 Hz.
When you cross over 80 Hz what is above becomes directive.

OP
D

dannyinformal

Gotcha! Thanks.

Yeah I was looking at the Cinema 70s first, that one appeared to be pretty bad. So I though, go up a little bit and go for the Cinema 60 DAB. Since I only use 5.1 sound, I didn't look for anything over 7.2 and since the speakers are relatively small, I thought, heck, no need to go over the 1000 euro threshold. But as you can understand, this is mostly gut-feeling, since I don't know the details to make an educated choice.

Audio is freaking complicated, man. Haha

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I rather would get a Denon X3800H.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I recommend based on suggested budget. Unfortunately last year's lower tire from Denon whose a bit disappointing (mainly caused by switching from AKM to ESS DAC's but they really didn't had a choice, only X4800H whose a step up. I am stereo 2.2 this day's and with a little interest in surround.

OP
D

dannyinformal

I rather would get a Denon X3800H.

Man, I know this mind sound stupid and a bit superficial, but it needs to look good too; if I put another black brick in the living room, the wife's gonna kill me hahah

I'm willing to pay a premium for aesthetics, so maybe that Denon X4800H is an option, if the Marantz Cinema 60 isn't any good

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Grow some balls. :p

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hahah

Yeah, truth is, I don’t like it either. Honestly, I would something like the Nad t778 but 3-5k is idiotic for a non audiophile ‍♂️
Going over what is already recognised to you would be idiotic regardless when it comes to AVR.
Learn to use Dirac properly and it will be fine. If you want to invest somewhere let it be speakers.

OP
D

dannyinformal

Going over what is already recognised to you would be idiotic regardless when it comes to AVR.
Learn to use Dirac properly and it will be fine. If you want to invest somewhere let it be speakers.
I'm not sure what you mean with your first sentence. Dirac? That's a calibration, right?

EWL5

It's DSP room correction embedded into some Denon's from last year. One of better one's and with lot of hipe around hire (not that anything whose really wrong with Audiseey on one's before especially with tuning app before if you ask me).
Technically, Dirac Live is only embedded for Onkyo RZ50/70 and Pioneer 505/805 and an optional cost adder starting with Denon 3800/Marantz Cinema 50.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Technically, Dirac Live is only embedded for Onkyo RZ50/70 and Pioneer 505/805 and an optional cost adder starting with Denon 3800/Marantz Cinema 50.
I tend to do room correction and all DSP-ing my self instead paying 800$ for full support in case of Dirac.

OP
D

dannyinformal

Well, you've all been SUPER helpful and while you all seem to be right, that Denon is best bang for buck - for my needs, the AVR-X2800 would be sufficient. I'm still going for the comparable Marantz Cinema 60.

Yes, it's more expensive while it's basically the same as the X2800. But I'm willing to pay a premium for the aesthetics. I can't put a black brick in a designer living room. Ideally, I'd want the NAD T778, but that would be wasted on me, since I'm not an audiophile.

I will also follow Zolalll's advise and look for some interesting speaker upgrades that look good. To give you an idea, our house has a lot of concrete and walnut/oak furniture.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Finding a previous generation with AKM DAC might be (X3700H or even X2700H) if you don't nead full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth but I don't believe you will find any in stock.

Top Bottom