• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I am not really considering a Denon due to their (lack of) high end quality of the 2 channel sound, so it's really a decision between the Marantz and the NAD. I also like BluOS and the touch screen of the NAD, but since I will have a 2 channel setup with the processor in the front of the room, between the stereo main speakers, I think the big and bright display may be distracting when watching a movie. Is there an option to turn the display off?

That may be true for older generation Denon's and lower-end Denon's, but you can see that the X8500H and X3700H measure exceptionally well even against dedicated 2-ch systems. The amplifier section on the NAD T778 isn't great at the lower power of 5W.

index.php

and pre-amp out is just OK
index.php

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I am not really considering a Denon due to their (lack of) high end quality of the 2 channel sound,

Are you implying the T778 has such "high end quality of the 2 channel" sound and the Denon has not? How did you define such high end quality sound, and what would be your reference? Not challenging your belief, such being curious. I have compared an entry level Denon AVR to my separates, including a NAD integrated amp and a couple separates preamp/power amp, found no difference in 2 channel sound quality, though there are clearly other good reasons for me to go with separates.

so it's really a decision between the Marantz and the NAD. I also like BluOS and the touch screen of the NAD, but since I will have a 2 channel setup with the processor in the front of the room, between the stereo main speakers, I think the big and bright display may be distracting when watching a movie. Is there an option to turn the display off?

The only way to turn the Marantz displays to off is to use pure direct mode, but you can set it to dim or dark. When in "dark" it really dims to the point I find it not distracting at all.

audio8

That may be true for older generation Denon's and lower-end Denon's, but you can see that the X8500H and X3700H measure exceptionally well even against dedicated 2-ch systems. The amplifier section on the NAD T778 isn't great at the lower power of 5W.

index.php

and pre-amp out is just OK
index.php
Interesting! Since I am a musician and all sound is highly subjective, I never really judged equipment based on measurements, but what I hear, how much I like a certain sound. I have a really expensive pair of custom high end speakers and they sound 90% as good to me in my room with my old Marantz SACD + NAD amp setup than they did in the manufacturer's showroom with an EUR 50k system... So I guess I will just have to listen to them all to see what I like sound-wise.

audio8

Yes.

I don't think that there is a lack of high end quality of the 2 channel sound with Denon. The essential difference will be Dirac.
OK, thanks. I will try them then... I also like that the NAD has Dirac, and Marantz also promised Dirac as an add-on to the Cinema 50 later. So I guess Denon doesn't use Dirac then?

audio8

Are you implying the T778 has such "high end quality of the 2 channel" sound and the Denon has not? How did you define such high end quality sound, and what would be your reference? Not challenging your belief, such being curious. I have compared an entry level Denon AVR to my separates, including a NAD integrated amp and a couple separates preamp/power amp, found no difference in 2 channel sound quality, though there are clearly other good reasons for me to go with separates.

The only way to turn the Marantz displays to off is to use pure direct mode, but you can set it to dim or dark. When in "dark" it really dims to the point I find it not distracting at all.
Not really implying, more like hearsay... I haven't tried either unit yet, I've just seen some good reviews of the T778 regarding its sound quality for stereo listening. When all is said and done, I will believe my own ears, it is just that it's not easy to get my hands on some units to test where I am (NRW, Germany) so I guess the only way to compare them is to buy all the units still in the race and return all except the winner. I don't like to do that to retailers, but I still want to hear what I am buying.

My point of reference is always my ears. I have incredibly good speakers that instantly show the quality of any component, whether good, bad, or ugly. As in, you replace a single component and you can instantly hear the soundstage change in the most dramatic way.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I've just seen some good reviews of the T778 regarding its sound quality for stereo listening.
I can confirm that. I had a Denon 4400H before the NAD T778 and for stereo a combination NAD C658 and C268, later C298. The T778 does not sound worse to me than the combination C658/C268 or C298. In fact, it is a really nice unit (with the drawbacks mentioned above). I would not worry about the sound.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If available where you are, I would also encourage you to look at the Anthem MRX and AVM lines. They have very clean high quality pre-amp sections, much more flexibility in the software and setup to create separate music and home theater listening setups, and ARC Genesis is fantastic for creating multiple types of listening profiles (like personal music listening, and group movie watching) and then assigning them to inputs so they are automatically applied based on what you are listening to.

audio8

If available where you are, I would also encourage you to look at the Anthem MRX and AVM lines. They have very clean high quality pre-amp sections, much more flexibility in the software and setup to create separate music and home theater listening setups, and ARC Genesis is fantastic for creating multiple types of listening profiles (like personal music listening, and group movie watching) and then assigning them to inputs so they are automatically applied based on what you are listening to.
That sounds good! I asked my original question in the hope of simplifying my choices... but in fact they are multiplying Not a bad thing, I have more units to check.

I wonder if anyone here with audiophile ears had a chance to check more than one of these (Marantz, NAD, Denon, Anthem) side by side with REALLY good speakers, for stereo listening...?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds good! I asked my original question in the hope of simplifying my choices... but in fact they are multiplying Not a bad thing, I have more units to check.

I wonder if anyone here with audiophile ears had a chance to check more than one of these (Marantz, NAD, Denon, Anthem) side by side with REALLY good speakers, for stereo listening...?
When I was purchasing my MRX1140 I also auditioned the NAD T778 in my house with the same 7.2.4 Monitor audio setup. I preferred the Anthem. Specifically, the larger amplifier peak power headroom was noticable for percussion and other sounds that need high instantaneous power. Also the dual independent subwoofer outputs we're able to more easily drive my svs sb-2000s such that I was getting more base spl at regular listening volumes. My wife would notice the sound effects rattling the upstairs couch with the Anthem where the NAD was not doing that.

audio8

Well... I'm glad I asked. I ended up getting an Anthem MRX 740 from a local dealer, and I totally love the sound! I got the 740 because I want to set up a 5.1.4 system, with the front speakers driven by an Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 (which I expect will make stereo sound even better, even though I'm already pretty happy with sound of the 740 alone), and use the remaining amp channels of the 740 to complete my 5.1.4 setup. Spending more than I planned to... but I feel it's worth it, the Anthem just sounds sweet!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... I'm glad I asked. I ended up getting an Anthem MRX 740 from a local dealer, and I totally love the sound! I got the 740 because I want to set up a 5.1.4 system, with the front speakers driven by an Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 (which I expect will make stereo sound even better, even though I'm already pretty happy with sound of the 740 alone), and use the remaining amp channels of the 740 to complete my 5.1.4 setup. Spending more than I planned to... but I feel it's worth it, the Anthem just sounds sweet!
Glad you are enjoying it!

Acemt

One question, I have noticed that different settings in the presets also change the maximum volume (output), that the receiver allows. For instance, on the preset, where my subwoofer is ser to off, the maximum volume of the NAD is -7db, whereas on the other preset, where the subwoofer is set to on, the max volume is +2db. And there are also other combinations on other presets. But I wonder why is that and what does that mean. Does this mean that without a sub, the receiver is at a maximum output at -7db? I have to say that I don’t find it to be particularly loud at that volume (especially when listening from weaker sources like youtube etc - and in this case it makes me question how powerful this receiver really is). Or did I define the different max volume for different presets in the settings (not knowingly!)?
Janio, I am having a similar problem with the NAD and have had it since purchase. NAD blamed DIRAC, and DIRAC blamed NAD. Haven't really been satisfied with T-778 since I purchased it. Not for the money it cost!

I too have a max volume issue with DIRAC. I have been told it is because my L/R/C speakers are not efficient enough for the AVR so I am running out of headroom. I get max volume of -09db with DIRAC enabled (no sub). I have not tried your idea of presets and tried to activate it with "sub on", since I do not have one. I too find the volume not quite loud enough on big movies with a lot of action.

Looking to either add an external amp or just go with a different AVR. I probably should have gone Marantz but was talked into this AVR by a dealer who swore by the sound. I do like the DIRAC enable sound, but not a -09db, it is just too quiet.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,
I like to drive two center boxes with 4ohm impedance each in parallel with this NAD - would that work if I am careful with the volume? There seems to be a centre spread option that blends a bit of the center into the mains. That would help to take the volume demand off I guess.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to drive two center boxes with 4ohm impedance each in parallel with this NAD - would that work if I am careful with the volume?
That's a big fat NO. You are taking extreme chances with your NAD driving 2, 4 Ohm speakers from the center speaker in parallel.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Ok then. But I have a pair of center speakers for symmetry and have to drive both. Could I feed the center preamp out as zone 2 input and use the zone 2 amp section to drive the centers?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok then. But I have a pair of center speakers for symmetry and have to drive both. Could I feed the center preamp out as zone 2 input and use the zone 2 amp section to drive the centers?
I don't know the answer to that question. I am not intimately familiar with the surround sound configurations with this model. Does the manual say anything about doing that? You could run the 2 speakers in series and that would solve your center speakers impedance issue.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I am reading about running speakers in series. That seems to degrade them as the internal crossover network will get fouled and xcover frequencies changed. Is that true?

Top Bottom