• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 287 75.7%

• Total voters

capslock

I just compared to the Audiophonics HPA-S1ET400 at low gain (7.2 dB). The 1ET400 with no buffer has similar balooning, part of which is hidden in its higher noise floor. So the Nilai is actually better at every frequency and power level.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning

goryu

The kit will soon be available for 1500€ on soundimports:

Realistically, why would anyone buy this kit, especially when it uses one power supply and limits the amps to half their potential output, when there are manufacturers like Buckeye offering a complete, ready to use amp with more than twice the power using the NCx500 modules (which measure as well as the nilai500) for $500 less?

Another question...How can a retailer offer these nilai kits when they are suppose to be only available to private, DIY buyers? @Hypexsales ?

juliangst

Realistically, why would anyone buy this kit, especially when it uses one power supply and limits the amps to half their potential output, when there are manufacturers like Buckeye offering a complete, ready to use amp with more than twice the power using the NCx500 modules (which measure as well as the nilai500) for $500 less?

Another question...How can a retailer offer these nilai kits when they are suppose to be only available to private, DIY buyers? @Hypexsales ?
Buckeye is impossible to get in the EU and audiophonics doesn't have the new Hypex stuff yet so soundimports is the only option so far as far as I know.
Soundimports also sells the DIY NC400 kit for a long time so I guess Hypex is fine with it

goryu

Buckeye is impossible to get in the EU and audiophonics doesn't have the new Hypex stuff yet so soundimports is the only option so far as far as I know.
Soundimports also sells the DIY NC400 kit for a long time so I guess Hypex is fine with it

Nord is an option- they are offering the NCx amps as well. Still cheaper than this kit with twice the output power. And it doesn't seem like this retailer has the nilai kits available yet either.

I would like to hear an explanation from @Hypexsales about these retailers selling DIY products which would seem to go against their stated policy.

3ll3d00d

these retailers selling DIY products which would seem to go against their stated policy.
Why would it be against policy when it is still something you have to assemble yourself?

goryu

Why would it be against policy when it is still something you have to assemble yourself?
My impression was they were to be sold by Hypex to DIYers, not from Hypex to retailers to DIYers. Retailers get the OEM products, DIYers get the DIY products- this is how it was said to work from what I understand. Maybe they have changed their policy or maybe I simply misunderstood.

3ll3d00d

I think the difference is whether it's an assembled amp vs parts you assemble yourself, I don't think it's any different to just selling the individual components in that regard. Arguably slightly obnoxious that they only sell it as a kit atm mind you.

Redwine

Nord is an option- they are offering the NCx amps as well. Still cheaper than this kit with twice the output power. And it doesn't seem like this retailer has the nilai kits available yet either.

I would like to hear an explanation from @Hypexsales about these retailers selling DIY products which would seem to go against their stated policy.
As far as I got it from Nord’s homepage, it‘s £1.529 (incl. trigger) + VAT, so more expensive than Hypex Nilai?

goryu

As far as I got it from Nord’s homepage, it‘s £1.529 (incl. trigger) + VAT, so more expensive than Hypex Nilai?

I saw a dual mono for £1,479.00. I would think they will have a stereo version with a single power supply that will be still cheaper. It's on par with the nilai kit price with more power, a complete, finished amp and some other add on you don't get with the nilai kit.

goryu

I think the difference is whether it's an assembled amp vs parts you assemble yourself, I don't think it's any different to just selling the individual components in that regard. Arguably slightly obnoxious that they only sell it as a kit atm mind you.

Again, and I could be in error, but I was under the impression that retailers could not and were not to sell the DIY components as kits or otherwise. It kind of defeats the purpose of Hypex offering a direct to user product at a reduced price if retailers can jump in the middle and add to the cost. It also isn't fair if retailers get some sort of discount on the DIY products so that they can sell them in competition with Hypex for a profit.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Nord's NCx is excluding VAT,soundimports Nilai is including VAT.

Redwine

I saw a dual mono for £1,479.00. I would think they will have a stereo version with a single power supply that will be still cheaper. It's on par with the nilai kit price with more power, a complete, finished amp and some other add on you don't get with the nilai kit.
I believe you are wrong in your calculations, however. It’s £1.529 (including trigger) and then you have to add vat, that’s more than the Nilay at approx €1.500 incl vat.

juliangst

I don't really see the value in getting the stereo Nilai kit. The audiophonics stereo purifi amp is 150€ less expensive, already assembled and has 100W more power.
If you need more power than purifi then the mono Nilai kit might make sense though

goryu

I believe you are wrong in your calculations, however. It’s £1.529 (including trigger) and then you have to add vat, that’s more than the Nilay at approx €1.500 incl vat.
The no trigger version without vat is £1,479.00. The nilai kit without vat is just under £1300.00. So for £179 more, you get a completed amp, twice the power (dual mono), and a warranty on the complete amp. I would still think that a better proposition than the kit. Your mileage may vary.

Redwine

The no trigger version without vat is £1,479.00. The nilai kit without vat is just under £1300.00. So for £179 more, you get a completed amp, twice the power (dual mono), and a warranty on the complete amp. I would still think that a better proposition than the kit. Your mileage may vary.
And the Nilai comes with trigger in case you want to compare one to one, but yes you get more value for paying a little more.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3ll3d00d

I was under the impression that retailers could not and were not to sell the DIY components as kits or otherwise
SoundImports have sold hypex components for some years now, as far as I recall the prices have been comparable to buying direct

Top Bottom