• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

DeepSpace57

Do you guys still have issues with Deezer? The experience I had three months ago was terrible.

morillon

Major Contributor
unfortunately it's not better.
after months of announcing that I will be "soon "" ok"".. ""new api in october""" etc
wiim has finished since mid november hasn't talked about it at all... (somewhere it's more honest)
maybe the worries are too big...
gives the feeling that they have completely given up "deezer"...

Last edited:

Witterings

Much of this frustration should go to Amazon since this kind of things happen periodically on all of my Amazon devices, not just WiiM.

That was my initial thought before I pointed the finger at the WiiM but the slider was still moving across on the track and my DAC went to showing no input, it was happening every 3/4 mins so I stopped streaming it and let iy play on my tablet for about 15 mins without an issue before streaming it to the WiiM and it started again.

Certainly mine does just pause sometimes and I think that probably is Amazon but this time I don't think it was.

Digitaltrader

Forum Donor
Smislov posted a month or so ago that the mini was available refurbished on eBay for $64.99. They are still available, by the hundreds, and the seller is listed as Linkplay out of CA. I wonder if they are fixing broken SPDIF ports and reselling them. In any case, I wanted to let everyone know that mine came in good shape and works great. Optical cover seems fine, or at least I haven't broken it yet. Also, Qobuz is in the browse menu, connected effortlessly, and so did the "home music server" with PLEX. It just works.

rarewolf

Smislov posted a month or so ago that the mini was available refurbished on eBay for $64.99. They are still available, by the hundreds, and the seller is listed as Linkplay out of CA. I wonder if they are fixing broken SPDIF ports and reselling them. In any case, I wanted to let everyone know that mine came in good shape and works great. Optical cover seems fine, or at least I haven't broken it yet. Also, Qobuz is in the browse menu, connected effortlessly, and so did the "home music server" with PLEX. It just works.

For what the Mi i is capable of, it’s already a miracle and a steal at $150. I was able buy it for $100 over the holidays, but at $70, it’s going to make a lot of listeners very happy…

#jussayin

SuperDerpBro

I am trying to decide between a Wiim mini and a Dell Wyse 3040 (with Volumio). I mostly listen to my own flac files stored on my unRAID box. I cant find a lot of info on how well the Wiim handles local files. Is it any good for someone who is playing %95 local?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I am trying to decide between a Wiim mini and a Dell Wyse 3040 (with Volumio). I mostly listen to my own flac files stored on my unRAID box. I cant find a lot of info on how well the Wiim handles local files. Is it any good for someone who is playing %95 local?
It works fine but you need a DLNA server to share your files in the local network.

rarewolf

I looked only briefly at unRAID, and I cannot imagine it not offering DLNA, but from my own experience, DLNA works but it can be slow. It’s as if the WiiM has to build the “catalog” fresh every time, which means you get access to artists, albums, genres, alphabetically.

I’m not a Volumio user, but it may work similar to JRiver in that it will offer up the catalog via proprietary DLNA access, which means an app (Android or iOS) can load the JR Media Center’s catalog in a flash, and you have immediate access to making your selections. With JR, I don’t have to be concerned with the WiiM after setting it up. I just turn on my DAC/amp stack, load the app, select and play.

I did consider running the JR Windows or Linux client on something like the Pi or Dell Wise, but I’m glad that’s as far as I got. I wish I could tell you the WiiM works as well with Volumio as it does with JR.

ehabheikal

My Topping DAC is certainly competent. I believe my problem is that I cannot quite accept the Mini as real… as in, “too good to be true”, and that I should have spent a lot more than $100! The damn thing is so practical and functional, I figure something has to be wrong with the sound quality…

This is the good thing about this forum, that such hardware is tested and discussed to the littlest of details so you can get the highest bang for your dollar and listening time.

Another huge value if you are into tinkering is the raspberry pi 4.

And no its not too good to be true, the quality of audio has nothing to do with its quality. Here we see "Giants" underperform and cheap chinese electronics gaining foothold with audiophiles

rarewolf

[…]

Another huge value if you are into tinkering is the raspberry pi 4.
[…]

I looked into the Pi, but at the time it was very difficult to find on the market. It could’ve run an instance of JRiver on Linux, but it definitely wouldn’t have been as easy to setup and use as the WiiM…

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a few questions about the Wiim mini. I have the Wiim Pro on the ground floor connected to the direct ethernet cable in the box.

My first question is
:

- If I buy the Wiim mini to put upstairs, does it have enough wifi power??

The second question:

- I have a wifi extender upstairs, if I use this wifi connection for the mini, is there going to be a problem with the Wiim Home Android app to manage the 2 (Wiim Pro and Mini) at the same time?

Last question:

- About Tidal, do I have to have 2 Tidel accounts if on one Wiim I send Tidal music and on the other another Tidel album??

Last edited:

rarewolf

I have a few questions about the Wiim mini. I have the Wiim Pro on the ground floor connected to the direct ethernet cable in the box.

My first question is:

- If I buy the Wiim mini to put upstairs, does it have enough wifi power??

The second question:

- I have a wifi extender upstairs, if I use this wifi connection for the mini, is there going to be a problem with the Wiim Home Android app to manage the 2 (Wiim Pro and Mini) at the same time?

Last question:

- About Tidal, do I have to have 2 Tidel accounts if on one Wiim I send Tidal music and on the other another Tidel album??

I wonder if you’ll have a problem with your extender. That is, everything needs to be on the same LAN (i.e., all IP addresses need to be identical except the last set—e.g., 192.168.11.x)

Regarding power, I’m not using an extender for wifi between upstairs and down. Instead, I use a mesh for establishing the LAN, and relative to your question, I was having problems with high res 192kHz tracks that wouldn’t stream fast enough to keep up, but any PCM data from less than 96kHz generally did fine. I fixed the problem by increasing the mesh density, and now the same tracks that gave me problems before are now streamed in full in less than 30sec.

The WiiM app allows you to give your WiiMs unique names, so I don’t see an issue with confusion which is which…

#HTH

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you, I will connect it to the ground floor wifi.

It does not exceed 96khz tracks

I just ordered it.

Jpdelaney.tml

In case we are bored with the mini and it’s little issues. I don’t think it’s pushing 32 bit audio even if I’m using Windows.

Attachments

• 179FD405-BFE4-413C-827C-DD97915812EC.jpeg
    179FD405-BFE4-413C-827C-DD97915812EC.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 115

morillon

Major Contributor
In case we are bored with the mini and it’s little issues. I don’t think it’s pushing 32 bit audio even if I’m using Windows.
d experience mini does not appreciate the 32 bits....:confused:

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks it's working now via Amazon app! I'll do a full weekend of testing vs. the bluesound node got lots of variations of connections and routing through my standalone dac and onboard dac in my integrated amp to test. The streaming via native amazon app is a big deal.
How did the testing/ comparisons go?

Witterings

Is there a way to save folders in favourites in the WiiM App, I can see how to do songs but not folders and it's a pain to keep having to navigate to where my music's stored every time.

flaviocc

Hi guys ! Any settings to keep the screen on when playing music from tablet / smartphone ?

Tks.

Top Bottom