• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want linkplay to release new streamer yearly with more features. Features I’m looking forward would be a usb, preamp with bass management, parametric eq and Dirac room correction along with the features from mini would be carry over.

morillon

Major Contributor
wiim will quickly release the pro....

the question is more when the promised services will be functional
;-)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I've made some records of test RME 24/96 file on my miniDSP Flex and it doesn't look good for me. I know my DAC is not an ideal equipment as it does some internal resampling even with all DSP processing disabled. All my tests were done with master volume 0dB and all IIRs, FIRs etc. bypassed.

Original file imported:
1666595466811.png

1666595499727.png

The same file played from PC to the USB input on miniDSP using WASAPI and recorded using ASIO:
1666595575442.png

1666595610672.png

And played from Mini, fixed volume, no EQ, 24/96 toslink, recorded again with ASIO:
1666595738834.png

1666595769885.png

I doubt it could pass bitperfect test on RME at a moment...

morillon

Major Contributor
could you redo this test by comparing the no eq mode on the mini side with the "flat" eq mode?

the eq mode has never been very qualitative ( see the comparison between flat mode and no eq on demanding music).. not necessarily can be "the idea" ...
maybe the pro will allow you to work on more interesting resolutions (see the comparison between flat mode and no eq on demanding music)..

the eq mode often poses clipping concerns that wiim tries to manage..
just that the amazing no eq "perfect bit" mode now seems to have problems like the eq mode..

ps
the few measurements with the old chromecast, no problem with clipping..
and these same measurements made in mid-September with the wiim either for that matter...

Last edited:

Merifon

I've made some records of test RME 24/96 file on my miniDSP Flex and it doesn't look good for me. I know my DAC is not an ideal equipment as it does some internal resampling even with all DSP processing disabled. All my tests were done with master volume 0dB and all IIRs, FIRs etc. bypassed.

Original file imported:
View attachment 239099
View attachment 239100

The same file played from PC to the USB input on miniDSP using WASAPI and recorded using ASIO:
View attachment 239101
View attachment 239102

And played from Mini, fixed volume, no EQ, 24/96 toslink, recorded again with ASIO:
View attachment 239104
View attachment 239105

I doubt it could pass bitperfect test on RME at a moment...
Just for curiosity, how did you play with Wiim?
The actual pictures show that there is something different in the two paths, from source to dac out, they doesn't necessarily (hopefully) mean that wiim is the guilty.
To be clear I'm not a WiiM's office defenser...

MCH

Major Contributor
I want linkplay to release new streamer yearly with more features. Features I’m looking forward would be a usb, preamp with bass management, parametric eq and Dirac room correction along with the features from mini would be carry over.
And now that the pro has a remote, a little display for the volume and we would have a terrific streamer/preamp

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Just for curiosity, how did you play with Wiim?
The actual pictures show that there is something different in the two paths, from source to dac out, they doesn't necessarily (hopefully) mean that wiim is the guilty.
To be clear I'm not a WiiM's office defenser...
Direct toslink link from Mini to DAC with local file played from WiiM app.

morillon

Major Contributor
from the end of spring I had pointed out the easily observable clipping problems when measured in eq mode" to wiim. they had recognized it and had to work..
but honestly didn't interest me..
if it concerns the no eq mode on toslink, on the other hand, becomes really very annoying ...

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pro has the same dac as mini. I ask that on wiim forum their own website.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
OK, next step should be that someone with APx555 does the same, just to exclude the Flex itself.
Yes. Maybe toslink in Flex is affected, I cannot verify that. When I've used ADI-2 instead of Flex I've passed RME test without an issue. Cabling is the same, WiiM FW has changed.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
me it's more stupid.

same tests:
mid-September..
no distortions
now clipping at high digital level , near 0dbfs , in non-EQ mode...
by the way passed and still passes normally with the chromecast in the same circumstances

I know my auto-translated expression is wrong
but that sounds easy to grasp, right?
(if someone can redo these measures for safety and principle?)

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

new update release but no Deezer support, Well done Wimm! I think they cannot manage this new Deezer API.

Top Bottom