• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

MrBrad

More evidence of bit perfect performance: as long as digital volume is 100%, DTS encoding successfully passes through the WiiM Mini.

morillon

Major Contributor
actually, can it be bit perfect if there is an early """"clipping""" problem in toslink? eq-off mode :cool:

;-)

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
More evidence of bit perfect performance: as long as digital volume is 100%, DTS encoding successfully passes through the WiiM Mini.
I do not know too much about DTS. How is it processed by WiiM? Is the file decoded to the DTS raw data instead of PCM and then passed through?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I do not know too much about DTS. How is it processed by WiiM? Is the file decoded to the DTS raw data instead of PCM and then passed through?
Same as the MQA discussion. DSD over PCM is another.

WiiM Mini simply passes through.

If any bits get fiddled with, DTS, MQA and DSD over PCM (DoP) will fail at the DAC.

I mentioned DTS here yesterday also.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

If any bits get fiddled with, DTS, MQA and DSD over PCM (DoP) will fail at the DAC.

And my question is still open - how DTS or MQA decoder will react to just one bit manipulation?

If this kind of data is sent untouched by WiiM by default it's a different scenario to the one when WiiM decodes data to PCM format itself.

Alan B

Please look at this discussion:

Similar behavior has been mentioned already.

(To quote just use "Reply" on the selected post)

Thanks, I could have sworn I didn't have a "reply" button. I can see it now.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Do you remember the bug when WiiM was adding unexpected fade effect instead of being pure gapless? Do you think it was a bit perfect behavior?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Do you remember the bug when WiiM was adding unexpected fade effect instead of being pure gapless? Do you think it was a bit perfect behavior?
Yes I remember. Clearly not bit perfect behaviour in their initial attempt at gapless.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes I remember. Clearly not bit perfect behaviour in their initial attempt at gapless.
That is why I still drill down on the topic. I would like to get a kind of real life proof of being bit-perfect / imperfect. I'm also trying to understand the basis of some statements I can see that WiiM sounds worse than X with the same DAC connected.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That is why I still drill down on the topic. I would like to get a kind of real life proof of being bit-perfect / imperfect. I'm also trying to understand the basis of some statements I can see that WiiM sounds worse than X with the same DAC connected.
I will report back in a few weeks when I'm not so busy and do the test.

So we can finally close this chapter and get back to @Smartplug's daily crying for the WiiM Pro appearance on Amazon :D

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You may or may not believe it but those high resolution music file sound less exciting to my ear and 44.1 sound better to my ear.

Smartplug

I will report back in a few weeks when I'm not so busy and do the test.

So we can finally close this chapter and get back to @Smartplug's daily crying for the WiiM Pro appearance on Amazon :D
Lol, you surely knows how to pick a topic. First, it was rumored to be early October now got push back end of November or early December. Release the pro, I’m sure it will get the same as mini an update every couple of week. Take my money release it now! I buy 2 and donate the other to music1969!

Music1969

Major Contributor
You may or may not believe it but those high resolution music file sound less exciting to my ear and 44.1 sound better to my ear.

We are going off topic of WiiM Mini but it is well known that much hi-res often just has a lot of high frequency garbage, especially anything above 30kHz.

There are some really well done classical and jazz releases that have 'clean' spectrogram but a lot of the popular/rock hi-res out has junk/noise above 22/24kHz.

I've analysed a lot of stuff on Apple and Amazon UHD and Qobuz and wished I didn't lol - it's not pretty !

Smartplug

We are going off topic of WiiM Mini but it is well known that much hi-res often just has a lot of high frequency garbage, especially anything above 30kHz.

There are some really well done classical and jazz releases that have 'clean' spectrogram but a lot of the popular/rock hi-res out has junk/noise above 22/24kHz.

I've analysed a lot of stuff on Apple and Amazon UHD and Qobuz and wished I didn't lol - it's not pretty !
When high resolution became a mainstream streaming services, I was thinking like going to dvd to blu ray and give you a wow factor but damn it was the opposite. I have tried many 96/192 but none excite my ear. I preferred just listening 44.1. That just me maybe others has different take on this.

Smartplug

I do not hear the difference between true hires song and it's downsampled to CD standards version.

BTW, did you ever try this kind of tests, guys?

Human ear can hear up to 20khz on early age but deteriorate when aging. So, streaming company push this services to charge more making us to believe it sound better. Take for instance John Lennon “Imagine” sound great on 44.1 that I have on CD but as soon I choose 96khz it just made the sound less exciting. Spotify just releasing hifi without high res I’m ok with that since I have tried all of them high res on my ear don’t sound great.

DeepSpace57

Human ear can hear up to 20khz on early age but deteriorate when aging. So, streaming company push this services to charge more making us to believe it sound better. Take for instance John Lennon “Imagine” sound great on 44.1 that I have on CD but as soon I choose 96khz it just made the sound less exciting. Spotify just releasing hifi without high res I’m ok with that since I have tried all of them high res on my ear don’t sound great.
I think a more important thing than the sample rate is the audio bit rate. 24-bit audio file could be noticeable if it is originally recorded in this way.

morillon

Major Contributor
funny I point out that there seem to be strong clipping problems on toslink same mode no-eq
(approved from -1db in 48k24db for example, same as 96k etc)...
which is not without consequences...far from...
(wiim seems not to ignore it but the fix doesn't seem to be there yet...)
but we continue to talk about the good old subjects high resolution or not etc.
amazing...
;-)
anyone to do these checks? refute?
ccif smpe
wiim should be able to adjust this quite easily
this problem is quite recent

Attachments

• ccif.PNG
    ccif.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
  • ccif -1dbfs rms.PNG
    ccif -1dbfs rms.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 60
  • smpe.PNG
    smpe.PNG
    101.6 KB · Views: 53
  • smpe-1dbfs rms.PNG
    smpe-1dbfs rms.PNG
    45.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Smartplug

funny I point out that there seem to be strong clipping problems on toslink same mode no-eq
(approved from -1db in 48k24db for example, same as 96k etc)...
which is not without consequences...far from...
(wiim seems not to ignore it but the fix doesn't seem to be there yet...)
but we continue to talk about the good old subjects high resolution or not etc.
amazing...
;-)
anyone to do these checks? refute?
smpe
I have both stream and wiim but like sound of wiim using the same dac. As soon pro reach amazon I will purchase it immediately. Early December cant come any sooner!

Top Bottom