• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Available on Amazon.de
Nope...
1000022905.png

kaffe

Hmm?

I have been keeping an eye on the website for days now and this is the first time I didn't see a message going along the lines of "out of stock" or "temporarily unavailable", so I placed an order. But yes, that is also the expected delivery date I was informed, but I figured it had something to do with delivery time since I am ordering from DK.

Sound_freq

I have a genuine question. Why is everyone so excited about the Wiim Amp? The Yamaha WXA-50 is about the same price (here in Australia) and does much the same thing and comes from a company with a much longer pedigree for audio. The Wiim does airplay 2 and Chromecast but any aspiring audiophile won't covet these surely? And the Yamaha isn't the only alternative either. I'm genuinely interested if I'm just missing something here.
I own the WXA-50 currently. It came out in 2016, as good as the Yamaha has been for over 8 years, it's been overdue for a refresh for quite sometime now. The WXA-50 doesn't support any of the modern more advanced Bluetooth specs, doesn't support Airplay 2 has no ARC input, I'm sure the dac chips are due for a refresh and the Music Cast app is easily bested by the WiiM, such as high pass filters and eq, etc. Yamaha has been pretty stubborn about updating anything with regards to Music Cast over the years while WiiM is updating things regularly. The jury is still out on the audio performance of WiiM's class D implementation, I'll wait and see.

orientpear

I own the WXA-50 currently. It came out in 2016, as good as the Yamaha has been for over 8 years, it's been overdue for a refresh for quite sometime now. The WXA-50 doesn't support any of the modern more advanced Bluetooth specs, doesn't support Airplay 2 has no ARC input, I'm sure the dac chips are due for a refresh and the Music Cast app is easily bested by the WiiM, such as high pass filters and eq, etc. Yamaha has been pretty stubborn about updating anything with regards to Music Cast over the years while WiiM is updating things regularly. The jury is still out on the audio performance of WiiM's class D implementation, I'll wait and see.
I use the Wiim Mini with the WXA-50 myself. It's a good setup but I'd prefer to have 1 device if the amp module in the Wiim is equivalent to the WXA-50.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Canceled my order. It seems like first revision still has a lot of flaws. Also Im so sick of empty shipping date promises.

macialek

And I own NAD AMP1 and I'm also looking for update. But first I need to see if WiiM will be an upgarde according to measured quality. So far it's also not available in Poland. Maybe WiiM team will add PFFB in next HW iteration. Let's wait and see.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Canceled my order. It seems like first revision still has a lot of flaws.

At the WiiM Amp troubleshooting page:

Only three threads. One of them isn’t about the WiiM Amp. One of them, the poster has resolved himself. The third is an issue using the app, but that’s not been replicated in anyone else’s device, including reviewers.

Nothing that’d worry me, there. I’m not sure that this could be accurately dubbed ‘a lot of flaws’.

ninetylol

At the WiiM Amp troubleshooting page:

Only three threads. One of them isn’t about the WiiM Amp. One of them, the poster has resolved himself. The third is an issue using the app, but that’s not been replicated in anyone else’s device, including reviewers.

Nothing that’d worry me, there. I’m not sure that this could be accurately dubbed ‘a lot of flaws’.
Filter issue, transformer noise, static turning the amp off. Im sure WiiM will fix those issues, but with the long wait times im out for now.

ninetylol

What’s the filter issue? And transformer noise? Do you have links so I can read up? Cheers.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

Well, I’m waiting and seeing anyway.

The new Ultra may be a better choice for me, depending on its feature set. If not, the Amp will be fine, and I’m sure any issues will be ironed out by then.

None of it sounds insurmountable, or even difficult to fix. Indeed, the one filter on offer looks like being the ‘right’ one anyway.

Top Bottom