• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MB20 vs. WiiM Pro Plus

presscot

I was going to buy a McIntosh MB20. But, I was paused by my friend. He recommended me a new and popular WiiM Pro Plus. The WiiM has numerous positive reviews and it costs half of the MB20. So, I’m hesitating now which one I should buy. I mainly/always play music from YouTube music via iPhone XR. Please advise me.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The MB20 is basically a Bluetooth receiver, correct? The Wiim Pro Plus can be set to input from Bluetooth or to output to Bluetooth. I have never used either so I can't comment on how well they work. Instead of using Bluetooth, you can use the cast option from the YouTube music app to the Wiim Pro Plus. That is what I do when I listen to YouTube music. That way you don't need to mess with the input settings and can still use the other streaming apps like Spotify, Qobuz, Amazon etc. if you ever want to.

The Wiim Pro Plus is a great streamer with a very good DAC too.

I just fired up the YouTube music app and clicked on the cast option on the top right. It is playing to the Wiim now without needing to turn on Bluetooth input.

1711270777080.png

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
YouTube Music uses 256kbps Opus. I fired up the Amazon Music app to show it can do with casting (It is supported natively by the Wiim so I have never tried casting it).

Playing CD quality or better songs, it says it is outputting 16/44.1 CD quality to the Wiim. I learned something new about the Amazon app. :)

1711271989602.png

Top Bottom