• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

Master Contributor
The item description says that it’s a preorder.
Thanks, clearly I should have scrolled further down.

I saw this part and stopped there;
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK (ORDER BEFORE 17.00, SHIPPED TODAY) / ON STOCK (ORDER BEFORE 17.00, SHIPPED TODAY)

JSmith

MCH

Major Contributor
350 eur, Amazing value!
Was about to complain about the lack of visual volume indicator like the pro, but just saw there is a line of leds for that. Well done wiim, I feel it will be the go-to recommendation for a second system or even a first one if the W are enough.

dmilller

350 eur, Amazing value!
Was about to complain about the lack of visual volume indicator like the pro, but just saw there is a line of leds for that. Well done wiim, I feel it will be the go-to recommendation for a second system or even a first one if the W are enough.

The Pro Plus with the Fosi V3 is the same price or less, at least in the U.S. Personally I prefer the flexibility of a separate amp. Although power control may be better on the Wiim Amp.

The Wiim Amp is a great way to do flexible audio zones in a house at a low price. It combines the flexibility of a separate device that might be used in a bedroom with the ability to combine into an integrated system.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Pro Plus with the Fosi V3 is the same price or less, at least in the U.S. Personally I prefer the flexibility of a separate amp. Although power control may be better on the Wiim Amp.

The Wiim Amp is a great way to do flexible audio zones in a house at a low price. It combines the flexibility of a separate device that might be used in a bedroom with the ability to combine into an integrated system.
Wiim Amp also has the advantage of a sub out, with fairly comprehensive (by the looks of it) bass management and HDMI-ARC.

bigrizz

bigrizz

I have a genuine question. Why is everyone so excited about the Wiim Amp? The Yamaha WXA-50 is about the same price (here in Australia) and does much the same thing and comes from a company with a much longer pedigree for audio. The Wiim does airplay 2 and Chromecast but any aspiring audiophile won't covet these surely? And the Yamaha isn't the only alternative either. I'm genuinely interested if I'm just missing something here.

dmilller

Wiim Amp also has the advantage of a sub out, with fairly comprehensive (by the looks of it) bass management and HDMI-ARC.
I didn't know it had HDMI. They are really going after Bluesound.

Bluesound's problem with TV is that they are priced about some pretty good AVRs. So unless the buyer want BluOS specifically there doesn't seem to be much point in buying it for a TV. The price difference between the brands can mean more budget for speakers where the money will make an audible difference.

dmilller

The Wiim does airplay 2 and Chromecast but any aspiring audiophile won't covet these surely?
Airplay is used for more than serious music. Podcasts, audio from youtube etc. My "primary requirement" is Roon RAAT and Airplay 2.

But there are probably AVRs in the $400-$500 range that do airplay?

Edit:
Yamaha RX-V4A $350. eARVC HDMI 2.1 Airplay 2. Missing for me is RAAT

A receiver would allow the easy addition of a video streamer like Apple TV.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

I have a genuine question. Why is everyone so excited about the Wiim Amp? The Yamaha WXA-50 is about the same price (here in Australia) and does much the same thing and comes from a company with a much longer pedigree for audio. The Wiim does airplay 2 and Chromecast but any aspiring audiophile won't covet these surely? And the Yamaha isn't the only alternative either. I'm genuinely interested if I'm just missing something here.
For me personally, it's because I have 2 Pros already, I use Amazon HD for my music and I love using the Wiim devices I have already. I'm looking to have a Wiim Amp in my bedroom and this will be a perfect fit.
I also think Wiim take customer feedback and suggestions on board and actually make changes in a relatively swift manner. They've introduced so many new features to the Pro since I got mine, I've lost count!!

dominikz

Forum Donor
The WiiM Amp will have built-in PEQ capability so you will be able to do (manual) room EQ. At the moment it is only 4-band on the stereo out, but there is talk that per-channel 10-band PEQ might be coming in a future SW update.

In addition WiiM Amp will come with HDMI ARC (so easy to integrate with most TVs) and an LED-based volume level indication (as far as I see Yamaha WXA-50 doesn't have any visual volume level indication).

To my knowledge there is no other stereo amp close to WiiM Amp price point with this set of features - so I understand the excitement!

Yamaha WXA-50 seems great, but lack of DSP PEQ would be a dealbreaker for me if I was in the market - you can of course add external PEQ via miniDSP or such, but that would only apply to the input where it is connected, and not to any built-in sources like streaming.

jeffme

Forum Donor
In Oz, the WiiM Amp is going to cost the same as the WXA-50?

Here in the US, the Yamaha is $600 on Amazon & the WiiM Amp is supposed to cost $300, so 1/2 the price of the WXA-50.

Plus, Chromecast & Airplay are great for whole-house audio and streaming by non-audiophile family members, housemates, guests, etc.

Built-in PEQ helps alleviate the need to use Roon for EQ, even if not as capable as Roon...

VladimirJ

As an owner of both the WXA-50 and the WiiM Mini, I can attest that the differences between Yamaha MusicCast app and WiiM Home app are significant and lean positively towards the WiiM Home, at least for me. It's simply a much more potent and modern app, by any account.
I like the sound of my WXA and it's really far beyond whatever the WiiM Mini could achieve on its own. But, the Mini connected to a decent external DAC changes the picture completely, and still for significantly less money than is asked for a WXA-50.
I even connected the Mini to my WXA through SPDIF, just to try it out through the same DAC. Result was a coherent, balanced sound which I liked it a bit more than the Yamaha own streamer's sound.
Don't know how WiiM Amp will sound, but if it is to live up to the hype, it shouldn't be a disappointment.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Audio Affair UK showing in stock
Until you choose a colour and it then tells you 3-4 week delivery, so arguably not in stock, but rather availability in line with what WiiM have said for the U.K./EU I.e. sometime in December

mvnchies

I know this might not be revealed yet but I wonder...

for the subwoofer crossover, does it cut off the main speakers lowest freq, while simultaneously doing the highest freq for the subwoofer? That seems too convenient if so!!

Shame there's only 4 band PEQ, I would prefer about 6 so I can do HS/LS for some bass boost and treble shelving... :)

And another thing - might be hard to say, but... any risk of hiss with this guy? I have had a few TPA amps now and they all hissed...
Kind of interested in having one for the PC setup as well as for the TV, but PC setup means about 70cm distance to speakers and the TPA one I had before (Aiyima I think?) was very hissy unfortunately.

Amazing looking product overall, super excited to see this little thing come to life!

Top Bottom