• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

JDragon

I never said any such thing.

If you want an immersive listening experience you won't get it from jumping up and down to clean a record and turn it over.

Remember, the point isn't whether YOU agree with the above or have the same experience listenig to music. The point is that there ARE PEOPLE for whom vinyl changes their listening experience in a desirable way. And it's hardly limited to lil' old me
Same ole, same ole BS repeated by people who fell for the Stereophile/TAS/etc line that vinyl sounds better, along with the current fad that playing vinyl makes you KOOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What’s really BS is telling someone how they enjoy music isn’t the “right” way to enjoy music. Grow up.
I don't see that in either of those posts.
An immersive experience is created by minimally a 5.1 multich system, but the general reference is used in relation to a system with overhead channels as i Atmos, DTS-X, Auro
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjbp4mjstrnAhVq1lkKHYiYDOwQFjACegQIDRAJ&url=https://www.experienceuhd.com/blog/what-is-immersive-audio&usg=AOvVaw00jDufndwlpn-MFwE7_pCs

In discussing SOTA music reproduction, vinyl hasn't been in the running for that in 40 years. There's no debating the numbers.

Now if you enjoy that, more power to you. But please don't accuse me of that which I haven't done.

JDragon

I don't see that in either of those posts.
An immersive experience is created by minimally a 5.1 multich system, but the general reference is used in relation to a system with overhead channels as i Atmos, DTS-X, Auro
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjbp4mjstrnAhVq1lkKHYiYDOwQFjACegQIDRAJ&url=https://www.experienceuhd.com/blog/what-is-immersive-audio&usg=AOvVaw00jDufndwlpn-MFwE7_pCs

In discussing SOTA music reproduction, vinyl hasn't been in the running for that in 40 years. There's no debating the numbers.

Now if you enjoy that, more power to you. But please don't accuse me of that which I haven't done.

lol there's more spin on that statement than a turntable.

Man this one is getting a lot of use today.

You quoted someone talking about the vinyl experience being desirable for them and others, and called it BS. How much further do you need me to break it down?

Don't give me that (actual) BS about some pedantic technical definition of "immersive experience." The post you were quoting was clearly about the vinyl experience and not some 2 channel vs 5.1 vs. VR headset debate. People can have an immersive experience singing along to their car radio. It's up to the individual to decide if they're getting an immersive experience, not you.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know a lot of musicians and people who like listening to music.
Their preferred methods of listening varies a lot.
My wife is a professional musician. I bought her a good stereo but she is really only interested to listen to other musician's interpretations which she can get perfectly well (she says) on her small laptop so when we redecorated the music room and packed it away she didn't want me to set it up again (she doesn't like the look). This was a surprise to me.
Other people I know love music and play in a band but also want background music on all the time, which it strikes me that can't actually be "listening" to since they are doing something else which necessarily takes most of their concentration. I hate background music since it is either a boring irritation or (if I like the music) a distraction which stops me doing what I should be, so this is a surprise to me too.
In fact most of the music lovers I know are not obsessive about sound quality or need any sort of ritual to make them listen attentively.
I like my hifi because I listen to music a lot, like gadgets and don't mind having a cluttered room. That surprises my wife...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You quoted someone talking about the vinyl experience being desirable for them and others, and called it BS. How much further do you need me to break it down?
Blah Blah Blah, more BS.

so when we redecorated the music room and packed it away she didn't want me to set it up again (she doesn't like the look). This was a surprise to me.
There's no pleasin em. Remember the story of Adam and Eve. LOL

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate background music since it is either a boring irritation or (if I like the music) a distraction which stops me doing what I should be, so this is a surprise to me too.

It's also why I very rarely use music to evaluate HiFi equipment. If I like the music, I listen to the music, not the sound, and if I don't like the music, all I hear is the irritating noise, not the sound, so a double fail.

S.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Also: why in the world would anyone ride an outmoded vehicle like a motorcycle, much less a Harley, when transportation has advanced to where you can ride in a fully covered vehicle, in greater safety, and without breaking everyone's eardrums as you ride by? ;):p

Because it's fun?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For me, I use my turntable to listen to music that was poorly converted digitally. Too many albums were remastered to be as loud as possible, and the headroom was virtually eliminated on CD. Led Zeppelin II is one of the perfect examples of this. The LP sounds leagues better despite being an inferior format. This is why I keep my turntable. Now the SACD multi-channel Pink Floyd DSOTM, is amazing and I long ago sold my LP of this album.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, I use my turntable to listen to music that was poorly converted digitally. Too many albums were remastered to be as loud as possible, and the headroom was virtually eliminated on CD. Led Zeppelin II is one of the perfect examples of this. The LP sounds leagues better despite being an inferior format. This is why I keep my turntable. Now the SACD multi-channel Pink Floyd DSOTM, is amazing and I long ago sold my LP of this album.
Yes it is bitterly disappointing that many, if not most, remastered CDs have been compressed severely, which the medium does not require, and recent LPs compressed normally, which the medium requires, but nowhere near as much.
The best sounding reissues of the classic albums were often the first ones at the dawn of CD.

xr100

My wife is a professional musician. I bought her a good stereo but she is really only interested to listen to other musician's interpretations which she can get perfectly well (she says) on her small laptop so when we redecorated the music room and packed it away she didn't want me to set it up again (she doesn't like the look). This was a surprise to me.

I don't think Tom Holkenborg (aka "Junkie XL") is going to listen on a small laptop. ;-) Mind you, he really needs room treatment...

xr100

Also: why in the world would anyone ride an outmoded vehicle like a motorcycle, much less a Harley, when transportation has advanced to where you can ride in a fully covered vehicle, in greater safety, and without breaking everyone's eardrums as you ride by? ;):p

No need for that, it looks cool in your living room. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think Tom Holkenborg (aka "Junkie XL") is going to listen on a small laptop. ;-) Mind you, he really needs room treatment...
My wife is a singer, plays piano and used to play violin for fun until she got arthritis in her hands.
Now she is mainly a choral conductor and voice coach.
The only electronics when recording her choirs are the microphones and recorder.
I do have the ability to dick about with the recording using my computer but I found decades ago that if I get the balance by microphone position and then the levels right I get the most realistic sounding recordings, though they do have more noise than using spot mikes and mixing - a worthwhile compromise IMO!

xr100

[…]
In fact most of the music lovers I know are not obsessive about sound quality or need any sort of ritual to make them listen attentively.

Forgot to mention--I know something of music per se (e.g. can play keyboards--badly) and so I find the opposite situation occurs also.

For instance, someone who had developed a patented audio technology mentioned a track that they used for listening tests. I listened to it, and the vocal harmonies all sounded dissonant. There was nothing, in my view, good about the piece as a whole. And then there is being blind to the quality of instruments/sounds on a recording...

My interest in "audio reproduction" preceded my interest in "music making," although I really find it hard now to imagine how one could listen to music without some grasp of the "grammar."

The one thought experiment I have is, is it better to have excellent sound quality but a mediocre piece, or a fantastic composition and mediocre sound quality?

Fortunately, one does not have to choose. :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is bitterly disappointing that many, if not most, remastered CDs have been compressed severely, which the medium does not require, and recent LPs compressed normally, which the medium requires, but nowhere near as much.
The best sounding reissues of the classic albums were often the first ones at the dawn of CD.
Completely agree. I bought my first CD player in 1984, and the CDs I bought then still sound as good as anything made since. Pop/Rock CDs were mastered with real headroom!! Classical and Jazz CDs, even those made from analogue masters, were well transferred.

Then TC Electronics invented the Finalizer, and it all went to Rat-Shit.

S.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now the SACD multi-channel Pink Floyd DSOTM, is amazing and I long ago sold my LP of this album.
The just released Later Years - Momentary Lapse of Reason in 5.1 is amazing along with the remastered P.U.L.S.E. Also the 2014 20th Anav Division Bell in 5.1 from Andy Jackson is wonderful. The post Barrett Floyd catalog in multich is now almost complete with only Meddle and Animals left. (Sal sends up a little prayer)

Burning Sounds

I think he needs some bookcases! :D

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ught-our-current-setups.564/page-2#post-28590

Fashion is one reason why vintage turntables are being bought. My millenial daughter regularly asks if she can have my turntable as I don't use it very often these days. She owns no vinyl or has anything to plug it into. It's just a fashion accessory.

Having said that I'm not anti-vinyl by any means. I have a fair number of 12 inch 45s that sound great and are unavailable digitally. Much of my vinyl has history - it's part of my musical journey I guess - some of the album covers are framed on the wall of my music room as they have nice artwork (IMO).

My turntable has film history - " What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited! "

And C3PO wouldn't have his eyes without its existence (and other bits and bobs from it that were that were used in early Star Wars films).

IMG_0270-copy.jpg

It's not the greatest turntable in the world, but I like it and restoring it brought me much pleasure and satisfaction - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/pinnacle-of-vinyl-playback.1881/page-3#post-49355

Robin L

Master Contributor
lol there's more spin on that statement than a turntable.

If all you want to do is prove the scale, or lack thereof, regarding some "vinyl revival" all you need to do is turn to the data: https://www.riaa.com/u-s-sales-database/

Trying to characterize the "fantastic news" comment as anything but childish is ridiculous.
I do not understand your response. If there were 5 sites producing laquers then this destruction would be limited, short term. Even though actual sales of LP s are still relatively low, this fire can stop expansion of LP s or reduce sales altogether, all by itself. I'm not spinning this news, I'm pointing out the implications of this fire, noting what others in the industry have said. As the "fashion statement" concerning the vinyl revival is being reinforced by movies, ads and other forms of mass media, we get the collective impression that LP sales (at least sales of new LP s) are much greater than they are in reality. The RIAA sales chart you posted reinforces that sales of new LPs are actually quite limited. In any case, I never said this is "fantastic" news.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other people I know love music and play in a band but also want background music on all the time, which it strikes me that can't actually be "listening" to since they are doing something else which necessarily takes most of their concentration. I hate background music since it is either a boring irritation or (if I like the music) a distraction which stops me doing what I should be, so this is a surprise to me too.
I like my hifi because I listen to music a lot, like gadgets and don't mind having a cluttered room. That surprises my wife...

I was a part time musician and a majority of my friends are musicians.

A couple are honest-to-goodness audiophiles. All of them seem to appreciate high quality sound when they experience it (e.g. at my place). Few of them go further than that, though, in that they don't own expensive gear or obsess over hi fi equipment.

I enjoy music on almost any system - iphone, smart speaker, car stereo, etc. But to get me to drop anything else I'm doing, sit down in front of a system and strictly listen, I want more. I like not only the artistic qualities of the music, but the sensuousness of the sound itself, similar to what I get when listening to live music (e.g. acoustic sources especially). In the presence of a musician playing a good quality piano or acoustic guitar or whatever, I not only enjoy the musical notes and performance, but the goregeous sound of the instrument. And that beauty is typcally the first thing lost in crappy sound reproduction. A hi fi can't of course perfectly reproduce the sound of an instrument, but it can produce a similar experience of the sound itself being gorgeous and worthy of savouring, as well as the musical content. And of course I enjoy other entertainment factors like soundstaging/imaging etc.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it's fun?

That's just more B.S.

Fun? I'm sorry but motorcycles are not "fun." They are just some old retrograde technology that some people are still trying to foist upon us. You see, I personally do not care for motorcycles. Therefore attempts to justify their existence as being "fun" for anyone else is just more desperate nonsense from the motorcycle-loving brigade.

Point made, yet? ;-)

(And on that note: at least when I'm playing with MY retrograde technology, spinning a record in my home, I'm not shaking the window of every house I passby in the nieghbourhood, shaking every car often to the point of overpowering the music someone may be listening in his own car, and overpowering every sidewalk conversation, rattlng people to the bone, blowing people's ears with teeth rattlingly loud engine noise just because I want to feel the "vroom vroom!" beneath my legs).

Last edited:
Top Bottom