• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As everyone knows, a foo and his money are soon parted. ;)

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While my main love is 2 channel, I do enjoy my movie nights, so it has to be equally adept at this. Just running a 4.0 set-up at the moment as that's all I need in my current room.

So my current kit is;

Chord Electronics Blu CD Transport
Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC
Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D CD player
"Some crappy" Toshiba Blu-ray Player
Chord Electronics CPA 4000E Pre-Amp
Chord Electronics DSP 8000 AV Processor
Chord Electronics SPM 1200E Power-amp
Chord Electronics SPM 1200C Power-amp
Chord Electronics Mezzo 140 Power-amp
B&W Nautilus 802
B&W Nautilus 805
Full Nordost loom on my 2 channel set-up, excluding mains cables (can't wait for comments in this)

The eagle eyed member may notice that I've more power-amps than required, this is purely for future additions/back-ups.

I've not listed the "foo" for obvious reasons!!!

List some foo! We actually do, here, know that there are reasons that cables and interconnects sound different, we just can separate preference from fiction!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like to think have no add-on foo except some ferrite clamps I probably don't need. And a lava lamp. And a new Bat Chain Puller for the ceiling fan... it was presented to me as the perfect gift...

upload_2016-12-19_1-54-15.png

And the reason why it should be...

"Captain Beefheart's Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) [CD, VAULTernative VR2012-1] is an acquired taste, but once I am immersed in it, I never want to hear anything else." - Bob Ludwig
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-93#9G4pKDYsfC3v9Laq.99

The current condition of my otherwise foo-less all-purpose self-rising room...

upload_2016-12-19_1-57-58.png

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Ahh, that's a level of tidiness I can relate to ...

iridium

I like to think have no add-on foo except some ferrite clamps I probably don't need. And a lava lamp. And a new Bat Chain Puller for the ceiling fan... it was presented to me as the perfect gift...

View attachment 4073

And the reason why it should be...

"Captain Beefheart's Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) [CD, VAULTernative VR2012-1] is an acquired taste, but once I am immersed in it, I never want to hear anything else." - Bob Ludwig
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-93#9G4pKDYsfC3v9Laq.99

The current condition of my otherwise foo-less all-purpose self-rising room...

View attachment 4074

Your adjustable acoustic diffusion & absorption system is Great.

iridium

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, I am on a budget, here.

Basically, the WIRW(WR)WIRWI* discipline.

* What I Really Want (Within Reason) When I Really Want It

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Basically, the WIRW(WR)WIRWI* discipline.

You do need a bigger TV, that monitor is dwarfed by your speaker system. ;)

Burning Sounds

New on here, so I thought I'd start by listing my current setup:

Fanless PC/JRiver
Mytek 8x192ADDA
Nakamichi AVP1 (x2)
Linkwitz LX521.4
Acourate DRC

Also have some rebuilt active Magneplanar MG2.5Rs, Graham Slee ERA V phono stage and Michell Hydraulic Ref Turntable (no longer hydraulic) with Rega RB250 and Garrott P77.

Room is some converted stables about 30ft by 12ft by 10ft with catherdral ceiling. Speakers about 1/3rd way down room and about 3ft from side walls so 6ft apart. Room is long, but (relatively) narrow unfortunately. I sit about 8ft from speakers.

Will post some pics shortly.

Gordon

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
New on here, so I thought I'd start by listing my current setup:

Fanless PC/JRiver
Mytek 8x192ADDA
Nakamichi AVP1 (x2)
Linkwitz LX521.4
Acourate DRC

Also have some rebuilt active Magneplanar MG2.5Rs, Graham Slee ERA V phono stage and Michell Hydraulic Ref Turntable (no longer hydraulic) with Rega RB250 and Garrott P77.

Room is some converted stables about 30ft by 12ft by 10ft with catherdral ceiling. Speakers about 1/3rd way down room and about 3ft from side walls so 6ft apart. Room is long, but (relatively) narrow unfortunately. I sit about 8ft from speakers.

Will post some pics shortly.

Gordon
Welcome to the forum Gordon , thanks for posting your gear details.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

fas42

Major Contributor
Hi ... what's the sound like when you use the two speakers on top of the bookcase, instead ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here you go.
Sweet, nice rig and welcome!
Digging the classic gear on the top shelf. Still have a couple pieces here, had to sell
the rest before retirement move, no room any more..
Did you refinish the face of Scott tuner? Never saw anything but the standard gold

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome aboard. I must say it is the first time I have seen Linkwitz speakers outside of shows!

But say what is the vintage and brand of the radios on top right?

The whole setup looks very nice with the bookshelf acting like a giant diffuser where it should be.

Burning Sounds

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Did you refinish the face of Scott tuner? Never saw anything but the standard gold

No, it's all original, I think the brown and gold faceplate LT10 was made in very small numbers compared to the all gold version. Found it in a secondhand shop. Like most Scott's a very good tuner but mono of course.

But say what is the vintage and brand of the radios on top right?

The whole setup looks very nice with the bookshelf acting like a giant diffuser where it should be.

The wooden radio on the right is an Etronic of which I know very little. It came into a friend's antique shop and I got it for a tenner. I haven't fired it up for quite a while (would want to check electrolytics first:eek:) but it sounded great for speech when I did use it. Reminded me of what I heard in my grandmother's house as a kid.

The speaker on the left is an Amplion Radiolux Model RS - a folded horn made as an external speaker for a "wireless". I've never been able to find out much about it other than it was made by a company called Alfred Graham in London. No idea how old it is. It works perfectly, although rather tinny sounding.

Gordon

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No, it's all original, I think the brown and gold faceplate LT10 was made in very small numbers compared to the all gold version. Found it in a secondhand shop. Like most Scott's a very good tuner but mono of course.
Kool, thanks. I think the brown ones were rare though looking there are a lot of pictures on Google. Looking in my 1963 Allied Radio catalog it's not listed as a option on any gear?
Yes back in the day Scott tuners were considered very good. Only thing considered to surpass them was the Marantz 10 with it's uber cool oscilloscope tuning CRT on the front panel. :eek:
I had a Scott 310B in my collection for many years, part of the stuff I had to sell off.
I had my tube tech friend do a cap update and alignment when I first got it. It sounded super plugged straight into a mono'd Dynaco ST-70 driving a huge home made horn system someone had built with all vintage Electro-Voice stuff.
Here's the pics I took for the ebay sale. Miss that gear.
IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Burning Sounds

Great looking 310..... I think the LT10 was a cheaper (and not quite as good) version of the 310 sold about 1966 for a couple of years.

Love the ST70 - it looks like an original..... the first valve amp I built was Joe Curcio's ST70 mod featured in an early edition of Glass Audio...I rebuilt it again just this year after more than 20+ years of use...the original cheap circuit boards I made were showing signs of heat stress. Here's the first version I built having the bias checked.

DSC_0492-600.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Great looking 310..... I think the LT10 was a cheaper (and not quite as good) version of the 310 sold about 1966 for a couple of years.
The LT- series are were less expensive than their 3xx series sisters because they were DIY kits
Johns Radio site has some good coverage of HH Scott gear.
http://www.fmamradios.com/TunerHistory.html

Yes my ST-70 was completely original except for the chassis bottom plate and the tubes of course.
Always worked very well for me and I put MANY hours on in playing near daily in my workshop.
Very cool Curcio ST-70 build, I heard they sounded amazing.

Took a couple quick pics of the gear I still have here.
The 1925 Atwater Kent Model 20 Compact I bought from another collectors estate sale in the late 1970's. It is completely original including 5 very vintage RCA O1A tubes. It was in very mint condition when I got it and accept for a light cleaning I've never touched it. I built a AC power supply kit for it from Antique Radio Supply, hooked it up to my reman'd RCA UZ-1325 horn and amazingly it plays just fine.!:eek: Used to be a AM radio station in Chicago that played vintage radio shows once a week late night. It was a real hoot to fire it up now and then. Haven't had it all wired up in years now.
The 1939 Zenith 5-S-319 "Racetrack" I've had for decades. The wood case is untouched and very nice, but I did redo the brass faceplate. Also did have it recapped to cure a bad hum long ago, now plays perfectly. I can imagine it as the centerpiece of some folks 1940s living room media. They listening to the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack and FDR's chats all thru WWII. A real piece of history to me.
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Top Bottom