• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphone to get if you don't need any headphones

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe buy something that you like the appearance of, or something unique looking? Grado makes some wooden ones (expensive, and although some people love the sound they are generally NOT highly-rated for sound).
Good suggestion. Not for me I am afraid though - Grados do look cool indeed, however their tuning gives me a headache after 10 mins - I really do not enjoy them

sony-mdr-zx110.19484
With all due respect, I think that is one crappy headphone. Did you see the distortion graph? If it was $100, ASR community would burn it on a stake. Hard pass for me.

For collector high end phones, the original Stax Lambda and Koss ESP9 phones (both are electrostats). I've owned both. They'll even go well with old tube power amps for a vintage setup.
Yes, electrostats is probably is I will head towards.

Down from $100 ;)
Looks cool! I will get one.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OLLO S5X looks interesting and each pair comes with a unit specific calibration file (so no need to send them to Amir and drop your trouser in front of ASR :))

I read Solderdude's review on it and wanted to get one but all the drama about it put me off a bit to be honest. Nevertheless, still on shortlist for me.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't need any, but I want to get one anyway as a collectible

I would tell them to have a look at vintage stuff in mint condition IF they are interested in collectibles. (can become very expensive)
Stuff like the Jecklin float (not the dynamic), K1000 and maybe some vintage Sennheisers.

Hard to say which of the current and last few years headphones will become collectible over time (reach legendary status)
I do expect the Raal SR1 to become one and maybe some other exotic headphones for their own reasons.

Edit
I always reply: There is no 'best headphone' (also not in price ranges) but there are many headphones that may be excellent for you. There are a few in every price class and may well not be the favorite of someone else.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MDR-CD900ST
That looks super interesting. A hidden Japanese gem.
The article says you can only buy them in Japan. The ones on Amazon is not the real thing you reckon?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks super interesting. A hidden Japanese gem.
The article says you can only buy them in Japan. The ones on Amazon is not the real thing you reckon?

Unlike the V6/7506, there don’t seem to be a market of counterfeits for these. The ones on Amazon are legit since they are often actually coming from Japan through 3rd party resellers.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just bought a set of Shure SRH240A sight unseen because I needed a new pair in my workshop. When I build a new piece of gear and need to give it the "test 1-2-3" test I need some headphones to listen, and the ultra cheap AKG's I had (I don't even remember the model number) seem to have died. These seem decent in reviews and price so I figured what the heck. I ordered them but they haven't arrived yet.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Koss porta pro, the headphone that piqued my interest in decent audio way back in the late 80’s, paired with my Walkman DC2 and a pocket full of batteries

radix

Major Contributor
Oh, the THX1138 headsets! I'm not sure what they are, some think it's an AKG K60, other's a Telefunken or Pioneer.

51M8ruSucaL.jpg
976985.jpg

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Collectible headphones? As in, resale price expected to hold long term or appreciate? I haven't the faintest idea.
No no, nothing like that. Not for me at least. Collectible as in different, unique, special in some way that makes it worth owning.

Last edited:

IXOYE

Sennheiser HD-600 and a cheep DAC/AMP, endgame for 90% of all headphone users, or it should be anyway.

lazarian

If they're after nostalgia, then it's gotta be old school Sony, Senn, Beyer, Stax or AKG's (Sextet I don't think has been mentioned here yet).
If they're after pure looks, ZMF make some amazing looking cans.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unlike the V6/7506, there don’t seem to be a market of counterfeits for these. The ones on Amazon are legit since they are often actually coming from Japan through 3rd party resellers.\

Look what the cat dragged in today. Made in Japan, for what its worth.

Ordered on Thu, delivered from US on Wed next week. No surprise our current ways are not sustainable.

MDR-CD900ST.jpeg

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look what the cat dragged in today. Made in Japan, for what its worth.

What’s your subjective opinion on the sound?

The high frequency is rolled off a bit in comparison to something like the $60,000 HE-1 but that can be EQ’d and the idea that it’s made in Japan, not too expensive, has a “story” behind it, and also measures respectably makes it a great headphone for someone who doesn’t “love” headphones but wants a headphone. No snake oil here. Hope your subjective experience makes my recommendation a good one. :)

I did see it being used in a 2016 behind-the-scenes recording at Victor Studio in Japan (which famously uses Genelec’s for their studio monitors). This was what the singer was wearing as a monitor while singing.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s your subjective opinion on the sound?

The high frequency is rolled off a bit in comparison to something like the $60,000 HE-1 but that can be EQ’d and the idea that it’s made in Japan, not too expensive, has a “story” behind it, and also measures respectably makes it a great headphone for someone who doesn’t “love” headphones but wants a headphone. No snake oil here. Hope your subjective experience makes my recommendation a good one. :)

I did see it being used in a 2016 behind-the-scenes recording at Victor Studio in Japan (which famously uses Genelec’s for their studio monitors). This was what the singer was wearing as a monitor while singing.
I have not been able to listen to it long enough to form solid opinion yet, but on initial impression it sounds nice and clear, not at all sibilant and a bit mid forward if anything.

And you are absolutely right - what intrigued me the most was that it had a story. The fact that its tuned nicely and built properly makes it even an easier buy.

I really can't see myself being unhappy with it :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of you want accuracy the HD 650. If you just want something to kick back with, the 2021 LCD X.

drewdawg999

I can only say this now because I just got them, but the Mod House Argons are really special. The way they handle bass is totally unique and awesome, and they slam like nothing else. They're a bit legendary already but I feel they'll become even more so now that Ryan's started developing headphones from scratch with the Tungstens. Who knows what's next with him but he's supremely talented when it comes to tuning planars.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only say this now because I just got them, but the Mod House Argons are really special. The way they handle bass is totally unique and awesome, and they slam like nothing else. They're a bit legendary already but I feel they'll become even more so now that Ryan's started developing headphones from scratch with the Tungstens. Who knows what's next with him but he's supremely talented when it comes to tuning planars.
Thank you for your input.

They were originally Fostex mods werent they? They are custom built with customer drivers now?
Did you ever had the chance to listen to and EQed LCD-X or XC? If yes, how does the "slam" compare?

Top Bottom