• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphone to get if you don't need any headphones

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everone should have a set of Sennheiser HD 650s on the shelf.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed.
That or a HD600/6XX. And probably an HD800S as well.
And an LCD. 2, X or 4.
And an egg shaped Hifiman - Edition XS, Arya etc, and a round one - Sundara, H6, Susvara.
An on-ear Sony.
An open back, old school AKG.

What else?

Geert

Major Contributor

I was just writing the same, although I believe the HD600 has a better price/performance ratio. For someone who's in to audio it's interesting to have a kind of reference (neutral) transducer available.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What else?
Ones enough for me.
And I actually haven't listened to them in a few years.
OH, I do have an old set of Grado SR80 too, somewhere. LOL

drewdawg999

Thank you for your input.

They were originally Fostex mods werent they? They are custom built with customer drivers now?
Did you ever had the chance to listen to and EQed LCD-X or XC? If yes, how does the "slam" compare?
Yes they are a mod of the Fostex T50RP. It's still the same drivers but the mods are rather extensive and mysterious.
I haven't heard those Audezes but I have the LCD-2 and use lots of EQ to emerge from the darkness, and to boost the bass. Haven't EQed the Argons yet but snare hits have this impact that rattles my teeth. The Argons slam harder than the LCD-2, more noticeable on EDM and hip-hop, and I can probably EQ in some more slam but I'm enjoying them as is right now. Less refined than the LCD-2 but the difference in cost is pretty large.

Soria Moria

HD 650, 6XX and 600 seem outdated when the cheaper 560S exists. Better bass extension, lower distortion. The distortion part is important since I'd definitely require them to be EQed for high fidelity.

Top Bottom