• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have any room correction software and don't really want to but a DSP or anything, if I'm just working with tone controls and potentially port plugs, is it still worth considering?

In my opinion, that lush bass is one of the highlights of these loudspeakers and it can not survive a sock in the reflex port.

Most standmount speakers announce their presence in room with midrange or highs, but Lintons do it with strength, flesh and body in midbass and bass. Midrange, while being very good and forgiving, is not more detailed compared to Kef R series for instance. Highs are non fatiguing and soft but lack clarity usually atributed to the metal domes. If you prefer forgiving, inviting-you-to-listen-more type of sound, Lintons could be your thing.

Tone controls are fine but are usually too crude for any serious correction so you always end up lacking.

If your room is not cluttered, Lintons could work for you. If you have more than just a TV, Lintons, amp shelf and a couch in 13m2 - that could be an issue. Lintons aren't small speakers, they're quite bulky actually. People too often state room dimensions but forget to mention a large cabinet or showcase that redefine how that room can be utilized.

Anyhow, while i see how nagging neighbours could be an issue, personally i don't give a damn about their (or anybody elses for that matter) opinion on my hifi gear. I'm paying for it so they don't get a vote. If you have some a-holes neighbours in your building that complain on noise, you can invest some money in soundproofing your walls or move the hell away from there (in a freestanding house preferably).

JaccoW

Anyhow, while i see how nagging neighbours could be an issue, personally i don't give a damn about their (or anybody elses for that matter) opinion on my hifi gear. I'm paying for it so they don't get a vote. If you have some a-holes neighbours in your building that complain on noise, you can invest some money in soundproofing your walls or move the hell away from there (in a freestanding house preferably).
I mean, I would want to stay on good terms with my neighbours. The reality in a lot of countries is that most people live in apartments or other shared roof buildings.
And there are definite advantages in quality of life to that kind of living. Walkable neighbourhoods and no dependancy on cars for example.

Nowadays in my country a free standing house starts at €500,000-900,000 ($526,000-$949,00) and the average home costs €416,000.
With an average mortgage of €321,000 that does mean however that most people won't be able to buy a free standing house (or any house really) unless they come from a rich family.

Ngower

In my opinion, that lush bass is one of the highlights of these loudspeakers and it can not survive a sock in the reflex port.

Most standmount speakers announce their presence in room with midrange or highs, but Lintons do it with strength, flesh and body in midbass and bass. Midrange, while being very good and forgiving, is not more detailed compared to Kef R series for instance. Highs are non fatiguing and soft but lack clarity usually atributed to the metal domes. If you prefer forgiving, inviting-you-to-listen-more type of sound, Lintons could be your thing.

Tone controls are fine but are usually too crude for any serious correction so you always end up lacking.

If your room is not cluttered, Lintons could work for you. If you have more than just a TV, Lintons, amp shelf and a couch in 13m2 - that could be an issue. Lintons aren't small speakers, they're quite bulky actually. People too often state room dimensions but forget to mention a large cabinet or showcase that redefine how that room can be utilized.

This is my primary concern: that the balance between keeping kosher with the neighbors and the speaker performance will imbalance their performance and cause them to sound kinda lifeless. It's why I've considered the Denton as it would allow itself to "sing" more than the Linton would in my space, in theory.

My space is fairly open but small--bookshelves/records on one wall, TV/hifi on another, bikes on another, couch on another...

I mean, I would want to stay on good terms with my neighbours. The reality in a lot of countries is that most people live in apartments or other shared roof buildings.
And there are definite advantages in quality of life to that kind of living. Walkable neighbourhoods and no dependancy on cars for example.

Nowadays in my country a free standing house starts at €500,000-900,000 ($526,000-$949,00) and the average home costs €416,000.
With an average mortgage of €321,000 that does mean however that most people won't be able to buy a free standing house (or any house really) unless they come from a rich family.

Yep. I need a place to live and my apartment, while overpriced, is fairly manageable for my area. I'm exploring home ownership and it's really not a reality unless I move to a much cheaper state. Tear-down/fixer-uppers in my region start at $250k. A turn-key home is closer to $400k.

Zvu

Of course but that's a two way street: they should want to stay on good terms with me. We can find a solution that suites us both - in case of hifi i'd be ready to do some acoustic isolation of the dividing wall, cealing and/or floor. But i would never choose my hifi based on what anybody says.

I am living in an apartment and have been for most of my life. Walkable neighbourhood is vastly overrated and is never exactly that as realestate agents want people to believe. I can expand on that if you wish, but for now let's just say that i've bought a small lot (1400m2) and am building a house - soon to be moving out from walkable neighbourhood.

Regarding price, situation is somewhat better in my country (though not too much) but it is expensive if you want a turn-key solution. If you decide to educate yourself a bit about what type of house is best for your geography and climate and you decide to become your own construction site manager, that number in euros plummets realy fast. That's the moment when you realize how high the profit margins are for turn-key solutions.

Bottom line is: earn a lot of money or be ready to get your hands dirty for your own small piece of paradise.

Last edited:

Mush888

Of course but that's a two way street: they should want to stay on good terms with me. We can find a solution that suites us both - in case of hifi i'd be ready to do some acoustic isolation of the dividing wall, cealing and/or floor. But i would never choose my hifi based on what anybody says.

I am living in an apartment and have been for most of my life. Walkable neighbourhood is vastly overrated and is never exactly that as realestate agents want people to believe. I can expand on that if you wish, but for now let's just say that i've bought a small lot (1400m2) and am building a house - soon to be moving out from walkable neighbourhood.

Regarding price, situation is somewhat better in my country (though not too much) but it is expensive if you want a turn-key solution. If you decide to educate yourself a bit about what type of house is best for your geography and climate and you decide to become your own construction site manager, that number in euros plummets realy fast. That's the moment when you realize how high the profit margins are for turn-key solutions.

Bottom line is: earn a lot of money or be ready to get your hands dirty for your own small piece of paradise.
While I truly appreciate your feedback on speakers you can't seriously compare the Netherlands to Serbia in terms of housing or in any other terms for that matter

Zvu

You're right. If we account for the difference in median salary and living standard, Serbia is probably much more expensive place for average citizen.

JLGF1

If you have some a-holes neighbours in your building that complain on noise

So, neighbors that don't want to hear your HiFi bleeding into their living space at various levels makes them a-holes? Interesting perspective.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, neighbors that don't want to hear your HiFi bleeding into their living space at various levels makes them a-holes? Interesting perspective.
In the UK you can in theory make as much noise as you want between 0700 and 2300

However there is also 'Statutory nuisance' noise which is not defined and looked at on a case by case basis.

Playing loud music for a few hours between 0700 and 2300 would not be considered statutory nuisance. Doing it every single day for the whole time period probably would. The neighbour would have to demonstrate that it was significantly affecting their enjoyment of their property.

IMV if someone lives in an apartment or a house connected to other houses or apartments they should accept hearing someone else's music as a fact of life - within reason.

Complaining just because they occasionally hear music from a neighbour is unreasonable behaviour. Such people need to save up and buy a detached house if it's that big an issue for them.

Reactions: Zvu

Zvu

Well that way you can twist anything i write if you want.

Only the ones that lived or are living in a building know what level of understanding you need to have to be a good neighbour. You hear noise bleeding into your space all the time but you have to be aware that you are not living in a cemetary and that people make noise, while they are alive at least. Yelling, loud arguments, loud laughter, loud sex, birthdays, home parties, football/basketball world cups, tennis tournaments, elevators working, apartment renovations are the usual stuff. HiFi/music is the least of your concern.

What you can and should do is limit the noise between 22:00-08:00 and between 14:00-17:00 (for the ones that like to take an afternoon nap).

You can't actually listen to the music very loud in apartments since rooms are usually smaller than in free standing houses and it wouldn't be good for your hearing. So yes, if somebody knocked on my door and complained that my music is too loud at say 19:00h (while not having a baby sleeping, somebody sick or some other rational explanation other than "too loud") i'd consider him/her an a-hole.

Last edited:

PeterNL

I like Lintons very much and can recommend them.

Attachments

• 1696691076952.jpg
    1696691076952.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 215

Infinit0

Hey guys what DAC would you buy having the Lintons? I am wondering which will be the best match.

Miniyouuuu

Best match for?
Do you have already a streamer? How much do you want to spend?
Preamp and amp have some influence in sound. I feel DAC have less impact in sound. Any modern medium tier DAC would match: SMSL D400, Topping E70…

But maybe you also need a streamer, or you want HDMI connection for TV audio…

Infinit0

I dont need a streamer to be honest I Just use Tidal for listening music directly from my computer that is connected directly into my amplifier to the linton
Of course if for the same money I get a streamer lets go, but I dont care too much.

Miniyouuuu

But nowadays you are not capable of sending tidal songs to de amp without a PC… you should consider a streamer + DAC. Eversolo A6 or wiim pro plus, depending your budget.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the UK, apparently they're not 'hip and trendy' enough looking (bloody Eye-Fi again) and don't sell hugely
Some time has passed. I think we can say now that they sold very well, and since i have a pair i can totally understand why. They are awesome and totally worth their money.
Sadly they just look like a big wooden box indeed, even the tiny Yamahas look cooler. :cool:
PXL_20231015_191811902.jpg

djb

This thread is killing me. I have some very nice pair Paradigm 10v5 that still sound great, but I love a warm encompassing sound vs clinically detailed. These sound right up my alley and at 51 YO, scratch that nostalgic itch too. Hoping for a good holiday sale and a forgiving wife. Just got a RSL speedwoofer for the home theater so am pushing it this month.

muad

This thread is killing me. I have some very nice pair Paradigm 10v5 that still sound great, but I love a warm encompassing sound vs clinically detailed. These sound right up my alley and at 51 YO, scratch that nostalgic itch too. Hoping for a good holiday sale and a forgiving wife. Just got a RSL speedwoofer for the home theater so am pushing it this month.
Do it! I have bought so many speakers over the years. These are it! This is what I always wanted but couldn't find. They're for enjoying music, good or bad recordings be damned.

ovi

I just got a pair of them and can't figure out how to remove the cloth grilles. I will put them back on, just want to look at them at least once in their full naked glory :)

Could somebody enlighten me on how to safely remove the grilles? The space around the edge is tiny, I can't even get a fingernail in and am not sure what else I should try with, obviously not a sharp-edged object but still small enough to fit and yet sturdy enough to be able to exert pressure, so I can pop them out.

EDIT:
Watched Erin's audio corner video review, and he just popped them off. I finally managed to get them off too. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom