• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe this will be useful to someone. Use two plastic cards (old id or old credit card). Insert one between grill and cabinet, then insert other between the first card and the cabinet. Wiggle it a bit and then move them through the groove between grill and the cabinet. Voila, no damage to the veneer or the cloth.

Ngower

I just got a pair of them and can't figure out how to remove the cloth grilles. I will put them back on, just want to look at them at least once in their full naked glory :)

Could somebody enlighten me on how to safely remove the grilles? The space around the edge is tiny, I can't even get a fingernail in and am not sure what else I should try with, obviously not a sharp-edged object but still small enough to fit and yet sturdy enough to be able to exert pressure, so I can pop them out.

EDIT:
Watched Erin's audio corner video review, and he just popped them off. I finally managed to get them off too. :)

You can find bicycle tire levers for a couple bucks at pretty much any bike store. Plastic so it shouldn't do any harm to either grille or cabinet. I used them to get the Denton grills off

djb

I couldn't wait any longer and I don't think the deals were going to get better, so received my Linton's from Crutchfield yesterday. Great service and they are gorgeous! Fighting the urge to order a set avocado colored kitchen appliances and break out the fondue set .

Seriously, really happy so far. They really fill a room without any fatigue but I still wanted my my sub running although I dropped the gain down from where I had it before. I am using an old Dennon DRA-697CI receiver (100 watts into 8 ohms). I think more juice wouldn't hurt, and would like a smaller footprint in the living room. Any thoughts on a Schiit Saga S paired with an Emotiva Basis A2 to power these Linton's?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got a pair of them and can't figure out how to remove the cloth grilles. I will put them back on, just want to look at them at least once in their full naked glory :)
Step one, prepare the stabbing:
PXL_20231201_165120733.jpg

Step two, stab the grille:
PXL_20231201_165156015.jpg

Reactions: ovi

Ngower

You can buy tire levers from any sporting goods/cycling store for like $2. They're made of plastic so won't really damage anything. I imagine a puty knife would work too.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may or may not have used a french stabby-stabby to remove the grilles.
bafdf074c895c2988e904b0b847e.jpg.webp

Stab gently, the wood isn't that weak.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
To remove recalcitrant grilles (i.e., those with little clearance), I usually use a dental probe, carefully inserted and then carefully twisted around behind the grille frame. The only tricks to this gambit are not to nick or scratch the loudspeaker finish with the (more or less) sharp tip of a decommissioned (!) dental probe, and not to snag the grille cloth material during the insertion operation. :)

Works a treat. The tool is fine enough to insinuate in between cabinet and grille frame even when clearances are (very) tight, but also sturdy enough to exert enough oompf (IIRC that's the fourth derivative of position, you know, after jerk) to dislodge tenacious Velcro (or whatever).

This is the kind of gizmo to which I refer, in case my choice of nomenclature is too vague (or just plain inaccurate, as the case may be).

1701456579253.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt it's audiophile qualities and recommend the blunt side of a tea spoon. Veils will be lifted. Housewifes will come running from the kitchen because they want to say hello to Mick Jagger who surely has just appeared in the living room.
Mark my words.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I couldn't wait any longer and I don't think the deals were going to get better, so received my Linton's from Crutchfield yesterday. Great service and they are gorgeous! Fighting the urge to order a set avocado colored kitchen appliances and break out the fondue set .

Seriously, really happy so far. They really fill a room without any fatigue but I still wanted my my sub running although I dropped the gain down from where I had it before. I am using an old Dennon DRA-697CI receiver (100 watts into 8 ohms). I think more juice wouldn't hurt, and would like a smaller footprint in the living room. Any thoughts on a Schiit Saga S paired with an Emotiva Basis A2 to power these Linton's?
If you have a subwoofer and are filtering out those frequencies from the Lintons, I doubt you need a beefier amplifier

djb

I turned off the hpf on the Denon. I’m not sure what the cut off is and wanted to run Lintons full range. This has been a good receiver and it will be a while before I can upgrade, I do like the concept of separates.

This can be an expensive hobby chasing the next improvement. More juice doesn’t necessarily mean getting better sound out of these?

daverosenthal

Forum Donor
I figured I'd just add a datapoint to this thread. I've been in hifi for a while and have had many speakers over the years (Dynaudio, KEF, Neumann, Magnepan, Audio Physic, Paradigm, self-designed, etc.) I got the Lintons a few weeks ago and I've been blown away. I think these are the most enjoyable speakers that I've had--nevermind they cost <1/10 of some others I've had. As everyone says, they are just simply nice to listen to with very little fatigue. Pretty good bass extension (~35Hz in room for me) and a nice linear extension through the frequency range with a pleasing downwards tilt from bass to treble.

One aspect of these speakers that I think has been a bit overlooked is how much wider dispersion they have than the usual "high preference rating" speakers. Yes, they lose the battle to Genelecs and KEFs if you just want the straightest possible directivity index in the spin. But, that straightness often comes with fairly narrow dispersion. Personally, I don't like beaming in the upper frequency range and prefer the 'room filling' sound of wider dispersion speakers. (Focal is another brand with a seemingly similar design philosophy that I like a lot.)

After a few weeks of listening, I finally got the chance to pull out the full measurement suite a few days ago. Got REW hooked up to my Earthworks microphone and took some spatially-averaged measurements. Again, blown away. I had one of the nicest, straightest in-room FRs that I've ever seen right off the bat. I had been ready to add a parametric EQ for the Klippel-predicted in-room dip ~1kHz but it wasn't present in my room at all. I did have a slightly elevated plateau at ~5-6kHz as would be predicted by the spins, but I just had to lower it 1dB to totally take care of it. Don't be put off by the old-fashioned look, this is a modern, technically-competent speaker.

Highly recommended.

djb

Thanks for responding. I am still searching for a amp upgrade to my Denon. It seems they deserve better but will the sound actually improve? It does have a pre out so I may plug a Fosi TB10d in just to hear what it sounds like.

I waffle back and forth on whether amps make that much of a difference.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for responding. I am still searching for a amp upgrade to my Denon. It seems they deserve better but will the sound actually improve? It does have a pre out so I may plug a Fosi TB10d in just to hear what it sounds like.

I waffle back and forth on whether amps make that much of a difference.
Should probably cease waffling. More power is good, the rest is mostly nonsense.

tw 2022

Lol. I have never seen a hobby more inclined to "what if?"
Ain't that the truth... Most of us never really accept that a good pair of entry level bookshelf speakers and a decent sub are probably 80% of a high end pair and any sub...it probably holds true with towers as well..

djb

To me, speakers are best return on investment distantly followed by the other electronics of quality construction.

What makes it so tough is there no true measurable on sound quality. I target shoot also, and it's easy to see if your group size reduced with a component change. How much of our perceived sound improvement is try to justify our outlay of cash, and when is good enough.....well good enough?

Top Bottom