• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

NoxMorbis

This is for asthetics only, I would suspect, but it would be nice to have to tested here if possible (for distortion). I was considering it, but not if it adds distortion.

Douk Audio VU22 Dual Analog VU Meter Display DB Panel MIC+LINE Sound Level Meter

81hBD1vxxBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you look closely, you will see it also has a "LIGHAT" control. I'll bet that's cool. Must be like a hi-hat for drums, but visual?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may of course aesthetically enjoy DOUK VU22 quasi- or sham-VU meter even though I (we) know nothing about the quality of the through-out signals.

At least in my DSP-based multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier audio setup, I do need array of twelve (12) genuine large glass-face VU meters fully compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard as shared here in my project thread; I dare do not use the through-out signals from the VU meters for further listening purposes, and the VU meters have absolutely no effect on sound quality in my setup.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference,,,

- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Last edited:

Lancruiser

Forum Donor
View attachment 1854 If you got 'em, post a pic. Or just post a pic of your favorite VU meters.

Here's a Luxman 700u. I'll post the Luxman 900u later on.
One of my Benchmark SPM-320b analog meters and one of my Wohler LED meters. They are precision studio products and have only balanced I/O. The Benchmark has a X/Y output for Lissajous oscope display. I have a evor04-slim on order will update when it arrives.

Attachments

• Benchmark-Wohler.jpg
    Benchmark-Wohler.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 81

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's one for all the VU meter guys.

VU-Meter-Tee-Black-CC_695x695.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice!
Is this one (this T-shirt) IEC60268-17 compatible?;)

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
vu meters are lighting up in Dolby Atmos THX sound system

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
vu meters are lighting up in Dolby Atmos THX sound system
What are the numbered columns (1-24) relation to, channels?

Andysu

Major Contributor
What are the numbered columns (1-24) relation to, channels?
depends what theatre mode is selected , there several programmed for the room ( theatre 2 ) was playing
its since been programmed to 32 channels

the channels can be assigned , out the box the unit is 2 channels ( channel 1 L and 3 R for stereo )
channel 4 is sw/LFE
channel 5 left centre
channel 6 right centre

pan though
channel 7 left surround
channel 8 left surround 1
channel 9 left surround 2

pan though
channel 10 right surround
channel 11 right surround 1
channel 12 right surround 2

i think
channel 13 left rear
channel 14 right rear

i forget the channels they are all connected in a certain way any channel can be swapped around but it try and keep it simple , there are bundles of xlr on the back of the rack literally

all the overhead surrounds stereo pairs are connected to Dolby SA10 so no more centre phantom , true pinpoint overhead sound , or i can switch the decoder and with another special wiring and switcher box , recreate experiential overhead surround 1989 , it takes the regular original surround channel and places it overhead

the switcher box when in A position is for Atmos , when switcher box is in B position that's experimental mode , the same wires output to the x3 Dolby SA10 , anyway its technical
Dolby Atmos hasn't been played here now for almost i think 8 weeks , back to the Dolby Stereo classics

i can still use the sidewall/rear wall with the experimental overhead surround , that's how one cinema down town was doing " star wars " in early 1978 , gamount/odoen screen 2 , while screen 1 upstairs had x6 overhead surrounds since 1969 70mm cinerama that was phased out in 1970

CIC/UCI tower park never publicised the use of overhead surround , it was uncommon , typically surrounds were arranged on side/back wall

sometimes i switch the side/rear surrounds off and just use the experimental overhead surrounds as that was what it was more less so called
so when its running x9 overheads are running be it ( Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 with mono matrix surround ) , ( 6ch Dolby Stereo discrete with mono or stereo surrounds )

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
depends what theatre mode is selected , there several programmed for the room ( theatre 2 ) was playing
its since been programmed to 32 channels
Phew, and I thought my little 5.2.4 rig got complicated. LOL
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Andysu

Major Contributor

Namesbuck

1000006821.jpg
Ali express analog vu meter. $100. I got it working with RCAs to my topping E70. Getting it to trigger on and off required some (for me) out of the box thinking but it now works like a charm now. However it does not work with my turntable but CD and streaming is the majority of my listening anyway. Actually it does have a microphone input if I really wanted to make it work with everything but I'd rather have a more accurate L/R measurement.

Andysu

Major Contributor
few of these cheap vu led meters they have small technical flaw , not like " a centre engine cut off " more like not linear with frequency response , someone mentioned could be a easy replace capacitor to solve it ? otherwise

how i noticed the flaw was easy , i ran sine wave frequencies starting at infersonic and went though the range until i noticed a freq/volt drop , not like the " centre engine cut off down go on the other four " i checked with Sony SDDS vu led meters and stormaudio and other and they don't behave with strange effect , why would a manufacture make a flaw in the design ?

Top Bottom