• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vivid Audio Moya M1-World's first 8-woofer force -canceling speaker

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sounds like my ipad.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is pretty good

I disagree (with all the obvious caveats of listening to a youtube video).

Some loudspeaker recordings on youtube can sound more like it's a recording of live music in the room, free of any "coming from a box" character. This particular recording sounds to me like a boombox. Not that it necessarily reflects the sound heard in person.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't know
The design is starting to grow on me lol
117515-391c117c0fea1a68c2c464925b1f1280.jpg

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AA39A920-9214-443A-80AD-8636F76DA605.jpeg
Reminds me a bit of this stunt the world largest iPod speakers.

You should be looking at another kind of solution altogether :)

A bigger stereo is not always the answer if your a wealthy person with really big spaces to fill with audio . You get professional installers on the job .

And for personal listening you then have a normal sized purpose built room for it .
So this is ott probably fine engineering going on , but just to damn big :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is pretty good
Listening to speakers, in an unknown room, through a mic, through your own headphones or speakers, is like trying to feel satin sheets by touching your computer screen. Best case you can get a relative sense if they play multiple speakers in the same setup. Otherwise you might as well try to get high by licking a picture of a tab of LSD.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They did all that and it's not cardioid?

I guess you can't really do cardioid if it's passive, I guess they're catering to the Gryphon amp crowd... yawn

Both our (Sigberg Audio), Dutch&Dutch and Geithain are inherently passive cardioid systems as far as I know. So while they're all active speakers, the could theoretically have been passive and still achieve the cardioid pattern.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both our (Sigberg Audio), Dutch&Dutch and Geithain are inherently passive cardioid systems as far as I know. So while they're all active speakers, the could theoretically have been passive and still achieve the cardioid pattern.
I stand corrected... which makes the Moya even less impressive for the money!

mjgraves

Wow. That is... a lot. A lot of drivers, a lot of power demand (how would you even go about powering these?), a lot of cabinet real estate, and a hell of a lot of money!

I respect the radical engineering approach that Vivid represents, and boy I would love to get a hold of some Giyas if I were given a blank cheque. But this is some Nostromo spaceship, House Harkonnen, untethered, cost-no-object madness. There's something about them that is strangely compelling... but also just really, really really over the top.

Force cancelling designs are so damn effective at what they do, and this really takes that idea to the Nth degree...
Actually, Moya was the name of the living ship in Farscape. I wonder if that's related.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stand corrected... which makes the Moya even less impressive for the money!

Given the price, I think that new vivid speaker can always be characterized as not impressive enough “for that amount of money.”

For me, someone who would never afford or buy them I’m just curious about whether they sound impressive, full stop, and in what ways. I’d love to hear them and I have a little doubt they could make many of the stand active stand mounted monitors people love here sound like toys.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Hedd main towers had 16X 8” bass drivers they didn’t make the ‘stand active stand mounted monitors’ sound like toys’.
Perhaps if I had a decent ballroom in Purité mansions…
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hedd main towers had 16X 8” bass drivers they didn’t make the ‘stand active stand mounted monitors’ sound like toys’.
Perhaps if I had a decent ballroom in Purité mansions…
Keith

Fair enough.

At a show I heard one of Vivid's largest speakers in a large room and to me they made every stand mounted speaker including the KII 3s sound like toys.

They played some genesis tracks and it felt more like being at a live rehearsal of a band than anything else I encountered.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had their second largest ( at
IMG_3564.jpeg
the time) that didn’t make anything toylike either.

napfkuchen

Kinda look like the engine outlets of the Nostromo in Alien. And they're even Moya than the Giya. And why are all these speaker makers insisting on naming everything either "M1", "M2" or "M3"? Could it be they are aspirationally naming them after the various "money supplies"? Cargo Cult behavior for sure.
LOL, did not want to say it initially but my first thought after seeing these speakers was: H.R. Giger inspired? :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I’m talking about one of their largest in the Giya line, not the small Kaya line.

Real big mothers.
@Thomas savage of this very forum had a pair of Giyas, multiple issues with the bass drivers which was I believe rectified eventually.
He may still have them.
Keith

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m just curious about whether they sound impressive, full stop, and in what ways.
I am quite sure they sound impressive, but for the form factor and price I would expect a little higher-tech implementation. I mean, the bass section of the speaker is physically huge, I feel like there's plenty of real estate there to do cardioid... stuff. Shouldn't a larger distance between the front baffle and the back of the speaker give an ability to extend the cardioid frequency lower?

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Knowing Vivid they probably sound pretty decent for a passive, this is a proper engineering and measurement oriented company.

But they also certainly compete for the ugliest speakers ever made.

Top Bottom