• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vivid Audio Moya M1-World's first 8-woofer force -canceling speaker

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
World's first 8-woofer reaction -canceling speaker

The new Vivid Moya M1 is a 5-way, 13-speaker design weighing over 750lbs a piece with a stated frequency range of 19 Hz – 42,000 Hz (-6 dB points) and 3,000 Watts RMS of music program power handling
The Vivid Moya M1 have a US retail price of $465,000/pair.

Vivid_Audio-Moya-M1_interior-01-1920x1080.jpg
Vivid_Audio-Moya_M1-2.jpg
Vivid_Audio-Moya-M11-5.jpg
Vivid_Audio-Moya_M1-front_5.jpg
Vivid_Audio-Moya_M1-3.jpg

‏‪‬‏

Last edited:

boxerfan88

Wow! Those pictures pierced my eyes. Ouch!!!

I think the Giya with 4x 12”-15” subs looks far better, maybe sound better too…

MKR

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Knowing Vivid, I expect decent engineering here, but some marketing mumbo jumbo and just another uber expensive passive monkey coffin. At least this one doesn’t look too much like an alien asking you to take it to your leader. Meh
I actually thought that you'd like them to lol

Reactions: MKR

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now there's a speaker designed to maximize sighted bias....in some way. You'd be more convinced it could simulate the sound of a jet engine.

Wow. That is... a lot. A lot of drivers, a lot of power demand (how would you even go about powering these?), a lot of cabinet real estate, and a hell of a lot of money!

I respect the radical engineering approach that Vivid represents, and boy I would love to get a hold of some Giyas if I were given a blank cheque. But this is some Nostromo spaceship, House Harkonnen, untethered, cost-no-object madness. There's something about them that is strangely compelling... but also just really, really really over the top.

Force cancelling designs are so damn effective at what they do, and this really takes that idea to the Nth degree...

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They could have used those huge enclosures and numbers of drivers much more expediently for a cardioid bass...

Now its just a Nautilus XXXL from its original designer (Lawrence Dicke who created Vivid after leaving B&W) who doesn't seem to have evolved much in those 40 years, at least though they didn't move in the opposite direction like the other company.

The product PDF is a nice read though, especially the history part:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They did all that and it's not cardioid?

I guess you can't really do cardioid if it's passive, I guess they're catering to the Gryphon amp crowd... yawn

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you can't really do cardioid if it's passive, I guess they're catering to the Gryphon amp crowd... yawn
With a passive crossover its more difficult because you don't have a constant time delay element, but its not impossible, you can change the phase behaviour with a special topology and size enclosure, here is a German example which you can also simulate in the free loudspeaker simulation software boxsim
http://www.roomaudio-bassgun.de/index.php?r=site/diy
and here is a general method how to do so (sorry, also in German language) http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-104-18886.html

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All of these woofers with tiny tweeter, not even a compression driver? Once again a typical audiophile overengineered product in one part and severely underengineered in other, it's still just a old school passive speaker with fancy cabinet with a random high price to make people talk about it

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Falls under the "just because you can does not mean you should" mantra.

Another speaker that costs as much as a nice house. Know which I would choose, and it would not be as grotesque as this Moya. :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All these woofers and they only claim 1.8 dB more SPL (if you compute with 3000w x 93dB sensitivity from the specs) than the Genelec 8381a. And somehow it still costs about 8x and doesn't come with the amps.

I mean, what's the point? Most of your rich friends probably haven't even heard of Vivid so you'll have to tell them how much they cost. How déclassé.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All these woofers and they only claim 1.8 dB more SPL (if you compute with 3000w x 93dB sensitivity from the specs) than the Genelec 8381a. And somehow it still costs about 8x and doesn't come with the amps.
And most importantly doesn't use the woofers cleverly like the 8381a or W371a or other cardioids to reduce the impact of the room.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda look like the engine outlets of the Nostromo in Alien. And they're even Moya than the Giya. And why are all these speaker makers insisting on naming everything either "M1", "M2" or "M3"? Could it be they are aspirationally naming them after the various "money supplies"? Cargo Cult behavior for sure.

ErVikingo

I was thinking the same, Alien......

Would love to see and listen to them

Top Bottom