• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Speakers build : Toid's Epic

JyPay

Hello there,

As promised in my presentation, here is the built of my DIY speakers : the Toid's Epic

The video made by Rick, the creator :

Description in his website :

Ever want Full Range of sound out of your speakers? That is exactly what the Epic HiFi Speaker is designed to do. This excels ate giving you deep bass with an approximate F3 of around 30hz, using just two 5 1/2″ drivers. That mean you do not have to take up the whole room, to get room filling sound. The Epic HiFi speakers are designed for you not to have to use a subwoofer. Instead, you can use these compact bookshelf speakers to enjoy the music or movies that you love.

For me the bookshelf version is not what I wanted, so I adpated the design to create a floorstand version.
The internal volume is not modified. My speakers are 95 cm high, 20 cm large and 32.5 cm depth.

I choosed them by instinct with almost no idea of the final result.
Just read the good reviews of the tweeter and gamble on the carbon-made woofer : just released and mostly not used anywhere.
But the numbers were appetizing. Epic's response :

1710150103509.png

The tweeter is the CSS LD25X

index.php

The woofers are the Dayton Audio Epique 150HE-44
1710148617545.png

1710148677912.png

1710148727728.png

The passive radiators are Dayton Audio DSA215-PR 8
1710148933602.png

The total costs are :

800 euros 4 x Epique speakers + 4 x passive radiators + filter components + paint from soundimports.eu
200 euros 2 x TD25X tweeters (black friday price) directly from manufacturer
200 euros 2 x 2.5 cm walnut front bafles
200 euros 19 mm MDF planks
100 euros connections, wires and glue

So now, how I made them Epic :

1) Create the boxes

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Then I had to wait two month to receive my speaker, on back order from manufacturer.

2) Reception :

10.jpg

9.jpg

3) Paint, varnish and electronics

IMG20240126162724.jpg

Et voilà :

11.jpg

The listening :

I was really shocked the first time I heard them, the really good way.
I have nothing bad or critic to say about the sound : nice and precise treble, warm medium and deep firm bass. But I have nothing "high-end" to compare with.
For me, my foot taps are the key. Just enjoy the music each time I power up the amplifier and listen.

Regards

Last edited:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hope they sound as good as they look...

Golf

Quite impressing!

Regarding the walnut panels: How did you connect them to the boxes? And as being from solid wood obviously: Don’t you worry they could warp or bend sooner or later?

OP
JyPay

JyPay

Thank you. :)

The walnut panels are glued to 5 edges : four on their back and the bottom.
One panel is only 50 x 20 cm for 2,50 cm thick and two big holes : I don't think they will move or bend. ;)

Golf

The walnut panels are glued to 5 edges

OK, that gluing may prevent the worst, but nevertheless I wouldn’t be too surprised to find the panels (slightly) bent after a while ...

OP
JyPay

JyPay

And I forgot to mention the central reinforcement which adds even more gluing surface. Wait and see, with no worries

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wood moves. Moisture and climate minor changes have been enough for solid wood to crack, warp, cup, bow, or shift. Severe cases have cracked the cast frames of drivers as well. Stabilization is not always foolproof, but if the wood end grain is not sealed well it will take in moisture and move.

The best way is to seal and epoxy the wood to try and keep it stable, but even that does not always fully work.

Golf

The best way is to seal and epoxy the wood

And that has to be done on both sides. (On all six sides actually.)

A while ago I replaced the worn side panels of a vintage Pioneer receiver with new ones. Thought it a pretty good idea to have me a carpenter cut two nice panels from maple wood for that. It wasn’t ;)

Top Bottom