• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i mean between amir's E50 measurement and wolf's E50 measurement
Looks like Wolf's measurements are on the average about 2-3 dB better than Amir's, except at the hump where they are the same. May be due to unit-to-unit variations or measurement conditions (temperature, etc.) variations. Nothing significant IME.

Topping E50 DAC IMD Measurements Balanced USB.png

Blew

How does the headphone amplifier in this compare to that of the EX5? The EX5 sounds terrible with resolving headphones due to the way it can't seem to hold a note at all, so transient notes sound horribly clipped. Is there any way of measuring that?

alekksander

How does the headphone amplifier in this compare to that of the EX5? The EX5 sounds terrible with resolving headphones due to the way it can't seem to hold a note at all, so transient notes sound horribly clipped. Is there any way of measuring that?
What does it even mean? If it can't hold a note, does it play out of tune?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What does it even mean? If it can't hold a note, does it play out of tune?
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they saying that they prefer a DAC that uses a minimum phase filter with very long post-ringing? Otherwise, I have no idea.

Daltong

Okay, possibly stupid question but looking at the D+N vs Output Voltage graph here it would seem to me that the DX5 at very low (12 ohm) impedance has less of "headway" than EX5 (2.8-ish volt vs 3.2-ish volt on the EX5) ?

xnor

Okay, possibly stupid question but looking at the D+N vs Output Voltage graph here it would seem to me that the DX5 at very low (12 ohm) impedance has less of "headway" than EX5 (2.8-ish volt vs 3.2-ish volt on the EX5) ?
The clipping point is slightly lower, yes, by about 1.5 dB.
For normal earphones that is totally irrelevant though as you'll be listening in the lower mV range. Most in-ears are so sensitive that they will get permanently destroyed just like your hearing if you get near that anyway.

So it's irrelevant. If on the other hand you have some weird insensitive 12 ohm headphones and actually need the extra 1.5 dB then this sounds like even the EX5 would be marginal. So neither would be a good choice in that scenario.

What are your headphones/in-ears? What's their sensitivity?

techguypaul

Received DX5 today. Ordered on March 26th from Shenzhen Audio. Only a couple hours of listening to Qobuz/Roon/Raspberry Pi 4 USB/DX5 on Beyerdynamics DT770 80 Omhs. So far I think it sounds great! Bought this for a budget system at our vacation home. Sound so good ordered 2 more for desktop use. Will listen to other headphones when I get home. For $450 landed at my door it’s a bargain.

techguypaul

Connected DX5 to my Marantz receiver via Bluetooth for late night listening. Delay is tolerable. Don’t like that anyone in range can connect. I turned BT off ion the DX5 setup menu. I’ll keep using the Qudelix 5k. I like being wireless anyway as I can get a drink and stay connected.

Oh and it’s sound even better with MQA sticker removed ;)

Querkle

Hello, thanks for this great review, i have been looking for a device like this for my setup, i want it to replace my Quedelix 5K i am currently using as a DAC.

currently i use a Technics SL1210 for regular listening, the turntable is plugged into a DJM900 Mixer which gives me a combination of output options

1. Record RCA Output
2. 24bit / 96Khz Coax
3. 24bit / 96Khz USB

currently i make use of the digital USB output, then using internal routing i am able to listen to audio from my SL1210 through my speakers Via Quedelix 5K

i am curious if with the DX5 i will be able to listen to more than 1 input at a time, like can i listen to the USB input but also allow my records to come through mixed with computer sound, for example i want to play pokerstars while i listen to vinyl and have the sounds come out of the same speakers, i attached a photo to explain my situation

1 is currently how i am setup
2 is how i would like it set up
IMG_0054.jpg

Daltong

The clipping point is slightly lower, yes, by about 1.5 dB.
For normal earphones that is totally irrelevant though as you'll be listening in the lower mV range. Most in-ears are so sensitive that they will get permanently destroyed just like your hearing if you get near that anyway.

So it's irrelevant. If on the other hand you have some weird insensitive 12 ohm headphones and actually need the extra 1.5 dB then this sounds like even the EX5 would be marginal. So neither would be a good choice in that scenario.

What are your headphones/in-ears? What's their sensitivity?

AeonRT, around 12 ohms, sensitivity is reported to be 85.9dB / 1mW as per soundstagenetwork ( 677 mv for 97 dBSPL as per Amirm )
Currently driven by Qudelix and not exactly happy with it (it's... okay I guess but it is neither particularly powerful (operating rather close to limit) nor particularly reliable (the USB connection is buggy to the point of annoyance on Linux and somewhat quirky in general use on Windows) )

I want a straightforward DAC+AMP with optical in that can drive it. I plan to get my hands on Digi/Digi Minidsp Flex for equalization and run optical from PC to minidsp and from minidsp to DAC+AMP

hugsfordrugs

Hi, may I check if latency/ delay is good for topping dx5?
I am worried that it would not be suitable for movie/ streaming content.
Thanks!

techguypaul

Hi, may I check if latency/ delay is good for topping dx5?
I am worried that it would not be suitable for movie/ streaming content.
Thanks!
It's very good. Less latency than the Quedelix 5K. The Zen Blue V2 has little to no latency and offered proper security through limited pairing. As far as I can tell anyone in range of the BT from the DX5 can connect. This is a terrible design. I wouldn't buy this for BT use unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors. Fix via firmware?

Last edited:

techguypaul

Hello, thanks for this great review, i have been looking for a device like this for my setup, i want it to replace my Quedelix 5K i am currently using as a DAC.

currently i use a Technics SL1210 for regular listening, the turntable is plugged into a DJM900 Mixer which gives me a combination of output options

1. Record RCA Output
2. 24bit / 96Khz Coax
3. 24bit / 96Khz USB

currently i make use of the digital USB output, then using internal routing i am able to listen to audio from my SL1210 through my speakers Via Quedelix 5K

i am curious if with the DX5 i will be able to listen to more than 1 input at a time, like can i listen to the USB input but also allow my records to come through mixed with computer sound, for example i want to play pokerstars while i listen to vinyl and have the sounds come out of the same speakers, i attached a photo to explain my situation

1 is currently how i am setup
2 is how i would like it set up
Nope, you'll need to mix the audio likely after the DX5. I would think this would have a negative impact on performance.

hidehide

I would also be astonished if it offered anywhere near the performance. The 'audible differences' are there according to the headfonia review which has a few interesting takes:

I would guess some form of distortion is happening to get that kind of sound signature as described in the review. It sounds like when people praise tube amps. If you're into that kind of sound signature then that's cool.

As for getting back onto the topic of the DX5; I like the design more when I see it in videos rather than on the screen. It looks like a good option if you need more power than the EX5 but want/need perfect channel matching which isn't a guarantee with the E50+L50 stack at the same price. It's kind of in a weird spot from a financial point of view IMO, I'm not sure how many people would actually need the power over an EX5 for an extra $130~. The EX5 has also been on the market for a while and tried and tested.
How does 9068 in DX5 compare to 9038 EX5 which isn’t mentioned here? Are they the same?
I’m planning to use it for my LCD3, I think having extra horsepower in DX5 is better?

Jayzqa

Just ordered this in silver and I'm eager to hear how it will compare to "true balanced" dx7 pro.

jamu09

Update for topping DX5. Lets see whether the ESS hump and jitter issues have been resolved or not.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 305

Querkle

Nope, you'll need to mix the audio likely after the DX5. I would think this would have a negative impact on performance.
:(

are there ANY devices you know like this, which will allow multiple inputs to play sound at the same time?

its a very annoying issue even with the Qudelix 5K, for example when its used as a DAC, it cant play sounds from my computer and bluetooth, but my phone does stay connected to bluetooth and often play sounds i miss without me realizing it.

i could use something like a steinberg UR22C https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/ - this allows for latency free monitoring + allows me to connect to the outputs over USB

but ideally having a device with a bluetooth input aswell would be good

It's very good. Less latency than the Quedelix 5K. The Zen Blue V2 has little to no latency and offered proper security through limited pairing. As far as I can tell anyone in range of the BT from the DX5 can connect. This is a terrible design. I wouldn't buy this for BT use unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors. Fix via firmware?
Qudelix 5K has latency settings, have you tried testing it on the aggressive setting? i cant imagine there would be less delay with the DX5

techguypaul

:(

are there ANY devices you know like this, which will allow multiple inputs to play sound at the same time?

its a very annoying issue even with the Qudelix 5K, for example when its used as a DAC, it cant play sounds from my computer and bluetooth, but my phone does stay connected to bluetooth and often play sounds i miss without me realizing it.

i could use something like a steinberg UR22C https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/ - this allows for latency free monitoring + allows me to connect to the outputs over USB

but ideally having a device with a bluetooth input aswell would be good

Qudelix 5K has latency settings, have you tried testing it on the aggressive setting? i cant imagine there would be less delay with the DX5
I’m sure a Bluetooth mixer exists but don’t personally know of one.
I’ll double check but I believe I have the latency set to aggressive-lowest latency. With the Zen Blue V2 there was none. With the DX5 possibility the same but without any security pairing I turned BT off. They need to fix this. But I didn’t buy it for BT use.

Top Bottom