• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 182 76.5%

• Total voters

sonci99

I agree with vulejov on this one. At least they could test the drivers and remove windows 7 from compatibility list.
I use my windows 7 as a media server, and honestly is way better than 10 or 11,
Is there any old driver that can work with this chipset?

vulejov

I agree with vulejov on this one. At least they could test the drivers and remove windows 7 from compatibility list.
I use my windows 7 as a media server, and honestly is way better than 10 or 11,
Is there any old driver that can work with this chipset?
There is only one xmos driver on sabaj site..
Try to send email to support, and good luck..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are you stupid or only play stupid..
Or maybe corupted by chinese trash sellers..
On their oficial website information is that USB input working on Win7 etc..
So fuck off and earn some money on less primitive way..
Immediately cool it with the name calling and nastry attitude here!

Windows still offers the free update from Win7 to 10
You'd be very wise to take advantage of it.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
1.) Compatibility with Wndows 7 does not mean compatibility with every system running Windows 7.
2.) This is an XMOS driver, not a Windows 7 driver.
3.) Is the driver needed to use the DAC, or does the DAC work as a class compliant device not needing a driver to operate?

vulejov

Immediately cool it with the name calling and nastry attitude here!

Windows still offers the free update from Win7 to 10
You'd be very wise to take advantage of it.
I don’t use windows for audio..
Only tried because I read about problem with win7 and have old laptop with it..
Some other xmos devices of course works fine on win7, problem is chinese ignorance and hyperproduction without support and development..

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I don’t use windows for audio..
Only tried because I read about problem with win7 and have old laptop with it..
Some other xmos devices of course works fine on win7, problem is chinese ignorance and hyperproduction without support and development..
If you are unable to show others respect here you may have come to the wrong forum. Calling people stupid is not going to fly here. Treat everyone exactly how you wish to be treated and give people the benefit of the doubt. ;)

vulejov

If you are unable to show others respect here you may have come to the wrong forum. Calling people stupid is not going to fly here. Treat everyone exactly how you wish to be treated and give people the benefit of the doubt. ;)
I write about obvious chinese fraud here, half informations provided by sabaj abot this device isn’t true..
Maybe that is more important thing for reaction..

AdamG

Forum Donor
I write about obvious chinese fraud here, half informations provided by sabaj abot this device isn’t true..
Maybe that is more important thing for reaction..
What is most important is that you treat others here with respect. This is not a debate nor a democracy. You are a guest here and these are our House Rules.

AdamG

Forum Donor
@vulejov I'm astonished that you have not been at the least thread banned for your commentary and swearing. :facepalm:
He has been given two separate instances of “benefit of the doubt”. He won’t get a third. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like an old dog with a bone and won't give up the bone. Just keep on chomping at that bone.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Like an old dog with a bone and won't give up the bone. Just keep on chomping at that bone.
Some can’t restrain themselves and want their Trifecta. So we accommodate them as best we can. :cool:

He also reported you for being a Nazi. We’re looking into that…….not.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
3.) Is the driver needed to use the DAC, or does the DAC work as a class compliant device not needing a driver to operate?
The DAC is UAC2 compliant but MS didn't add UAC2 support to Windows until one of the Windows 10 update releases. That's why older Windows versions (including earlier Windows 10 versions) require a driver. Most manufacturers license the Thesycon one.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
The DAC is UAC2 compliant but MS didn't add UAC2 support to Windows until one of the Windows 10 update releases.
Thank you for clarification.

Hi, i received this DAC Tuesday 07/09, it no longer worked on 08/09, it only produces noise in my headphones.

I tried rebooting my computer, putting the dac to sleep, turning it on again, nothing works.
I unplugged it one night, the next day it was working. Last night, same situation, only breath... not reliable this dac? Or did I get the wrong number?
Finaly, i wrote to SABAJ support, they asked me for a video, I don't know how to film the silence coming out of this DAC... joke !

Have other members of this forum purchased/noticed this problem?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Hi, i received this DAC Tuesday 07/09, it no longer worked on 08/09, it only produces noise in my headphones.

I tried rebooting my computer, putting the dac to sleep, turning it on again, nothing works.
I unplugged it one night, the next day it was working. Last night, same situation, only breath... not reliable this dac? Or did I get the wrong number?
Finaly, i wrote to SABAJ support, they asked me for a video, I don't know how to film the silence coming out of this DAC... joke !

Have other members of this forum purchased/noticed this problem?
Received mine three weeks ago. Works just fine on a PI3 running ropieee fed by roon. No problems whatsoever. A joy to use with HE1000 stealth.

Can you share details on computer, operating system etc.

If it's broken, why not just return it.

AryaStealth

Jeromeaudi, I had the same problems with Topping DX3 pro+ (its headphones jack broke down the first day) and SMSL C200 (arrived with a broken headphones jack). Their quality control is questionable. So far Sabaj A20d 2023 has worked for two days without issues. I recommend you buy a tiny and powerfull Sound Blaster X1 usb dac - it costs about $50 and has an AKM chip of a previous generation with the same velvet sound technology and Ti/Burr-brown amplifier. It sounds much more natural than Topping DX3 pro+ and almost as good as Sabaj A20d 2023 (tested on planar headphones Arya Stealth and HE1000 Stealth). So unless you need a balanced output for some reason Sound Blaster X1 will do nicely.

Joachim Herbert, did you try changing sound colors with HE1000 Stealth? I guess by default A20d uses Sound Color 1?
To my taste Sound Color 2 and 4 sound more pleasant on HE1000 Stealth on balanced output and the following EQ settings:
Preamp: -3.45 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 2.0

Without EQ the unbalanced output sounds more pleasant on HE1000 Stealth. I wonder why.

Top Bottom