• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Pro DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 200 80.3%

• Total voters

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
*Wow this amp is crazy powerfull compared to my Topping DX3 Pro+. First impressions are it sounds fuller/richer and more dynamic. That was one complaint i had about the DX3 Pro+, it sounded clean but on the lean/thin side. Details and soundstage sounds improved also. So far very happy with the upgrade despite their site not working...
So, you just "upgraded" to a new device and that new device sounds so much better <insert audiophile nonsense mumbo jumbo here>
This is just the definition of purchase confirmation and expectation bias together in a single post.

Miiman

So, you just "upgraded" to a new device and that new device sounds so much better <insert audiophile nonsense mumbo jumbo here>
This is just the definition of purchase confirmation and expectation bias together in a single post.
You are probably right :D
I get a bit overexcited sometimes hehe.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get a bit overexcited sometimes hehe.
Humans.png

PortalKeeper

So whats the consensus of this DAC taking in everything that has been brought to light with the customer support/driver installation issues/questionable remote control functionality?

Longfellow78

So whats the consensus of this DAC taking in everything that has been brought to light with the customer support/driver installation issues/questionable remote control functionality?
Does this device have a preamp function please. It's meant to be almost identical to the smsl do400 which does have one, but I heard the d40 pro doesnt. Thanks.

Longfellow78

You should always check the product page with questions like that: http://www.loxjie-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=160
In most cases, it'll have the answers you seek:
View attachment 335132
Hello. Thank you for the reply but I have very little knowledge at the moment which I am trying to improve. I did look at the product page, but I still am not 100% sure on the answer. Does your comment indicate that because the rca outputs are controlled by the loxjie's volume know that it is a preamp? (I.e. To be used with a power amp without a volume knob of its own). I think this is what you mean?

If so I was confused because I saw 5 or 6 comments on the smsl do400 forum saying the do400 can be a preamp but the d40 pro cannot. I still am not 100% sure about the answer. Thank you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did look at the product page, but I still am not 100% sure on the answer.
Read again:

1702897143057.png

As a rule, any DAC with headphone output will have volume control on the line outputs as well. There may be exceptions, but they will be rare.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I still dont understand. Can you please just say yes it can act as a preamp, or no it can't. Thank you.
Yes, it's a pre-amp. Not sure why that is not clear? What do you expect a pre-amp to do? Obviously, it cannot handle other (analog) sources. If you want that you'll need a totally different device. The fact that you can't connect any should give that away.

Longfellow78

Yes, it's a pre-amp. Not sure why that is not clear? What do you expect a pre-amp to do? Obviously, it cannot handle other (analog) sources. If you want that you'll need a totally different device. The fact that you can't connect any should give that away.
Thank you

Longfellow78

I wanted to know for future proofing as I have some active speakers that I future I will maybe replace and add a proper power amp to pair with the loxjie. I was asking about the pre amp as I heard that some amp/dacs are not powerful enough to act as a proper preamp with a real power amplifier. It seems the loxjie has a meaty power output but I wanted to be sure. You have confirmed this so thank you.

Longfellow78

Can someone please tell me, if I were to connect this device to a dap via Bluetooth, and play a lossless flac file from the sd card or streamed from a media server, would the playback of the file on the dac be identical to being connected via coaxial cable? I.e. Is the Bluetooth transmission of the file compressed or lossless? Thank you.

TheHighContemplator

Just placed my order for one of these bad boys. Looking forward to running it with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X. I'm sure this will be fine with Linux. If not, could someone let me know?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please tell me, if I were to connect this device to a dap via Bluetooth, and play a lossless flac file from the sd card or streamed from a media server, would the playback of the file on the dac be identical to being connected via coaxial cable? I.e. Is the Bluetooth transmission of the file compressed or lossless? Thank you.
It will be slightly lossy with Ldac. But still pretty good.

TheHighContemplator

Got mine today. I was impressed with the packaging job for shipping. Very little chance of damaging the unit outside of intentionally trying to do so.

Sounds great, as in the signal is clean and there is plenty of power for my Aeon Closed X via 4.4mm (for now).

No issues with Linux compatibility. I just plugged it in and it was ready to go.

This is something I should know, but what is the optimal way to control volume to get the ideal performance:

A) Max out the Loxjie and use the volume control on the program I'm running?

B) Max out the Loxjie and use the master volume control on my laptop?

C) Max out laptop and programs, using the Loxjie volume control?

Any help would be appreciated. My idea is to use option C, but maybe I'm not correct. I figured you want to send the most signal to the DAC.

Top Bottom