• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T Bone Burnett Reveals New Analog Reproduction Technology

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

MinMan

As with any seminal performance, I believe T. Bone's disc can only be played once flawlessly before the lacquer degrades. Like an NFT, only the most dedicated audiophile will be in the market for this format.

DanielT

Major Contributor
In that case, the entire chain is the transducer. :D
There you have a point. It was at that time in the 1930s and onwards when people really could hear differences, not just imagined, how the sound systems quality improved in step with technological development.:)

Unlike now when there are those who are worried about whether they will hear what they can not hear. Mainly thinking of differences between different DACs.

I take this ad, which can be found in one of my favorite threads on ASR. When FM radio came. An audible difference:

Vintage_Radio_Advertising_-_General_Electric,__Here's_the_Kind_of_Radio_You'll_Want_in_'42_,__...jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
I saw that announcement earlier and the amount of b.s. fumes wafting from his claims was very strong. Seemed like a lot of assertions playing off the “analog is best” trope with little technical detail behind the claims.
My impression is that the medium is not very durable as well; a couple of plays and it's shot.

egellings

Major Contributor
Increasing portion is not the same as 100%... Vocals still needs to be recorded.. most pple are not keen to hear voices generated by a computer, esp. one that mimics a real singer. They would prefer to hear the real person singing instead. If you need to use a mic, its analog.

Anyway, this digital vs analog thing is real meaningless and pple in this forum are unable to comprehend what is digital and analog and its differences/similarity...

I will just say this.... If your sampling frequency approaches infinity, you will have a perfect analog wave.

Or you can argue by saying that time is quantised and nothing can be smaller than planck scale... So, time moves at min of 1 planck sec. So, everything is digital since this is your max possible sampling rate.

So, i will also say how well you can record sound is limited by equipment and technology. It is entirely possible to record sound and store the wave pattern onto a medium with extremely tiny losses and without converting it into "digital". It will be even better than any digital format. Its is very costly and difficult but not impossible.
With a frequency of just 2X the highest frequency in the recorded content, you can get a perfect reproduction, ala' Shannon and his colleagues.

Top Bottom