• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phonograph Stylus Wear Experiment

JP

Major Contributor
Careful the gel sticking to the stylus. My last took about 45 minutes to clean it off.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
Maybe put it in the refrigerator next time. Stops it getting quite so 'icky'.

Perhaps, but the inconvenience of doing that and the risk of it not making a difference are both non-starters for me, particularly since there are alternate methods that don‘t involve that hassle and the potentially continued negative outcome.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, mine is made of barefoot virgin albinos in straw huts at the hillsides of Fuji. n it is clear and transparent. Proven by 500 dips showing no residue on stylus using professional microscope.
Ha, well...I think I saw one or two of these used but there was no diamond tip left after use... :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

morillon

Major Contributor
someones closes ( many) to me or myself have been using this technique for like 15 years.... without ever having encountered this... see cartdriges worth several thousand euros etc
(but not cells over 30 years old like we can come across here ;-).. )
what s cartdriges lost diamant in your case?
(but losses of cantilevers etc due to poor handling "which only happens to others" a certain number... :-o )

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Careful the gel sticking to the stylus. My last took about 45 minutes to clean it off.

I stopped using that stuff for the same exact reason. Bad combo with my old Denon DL-103R. Isopropyl alcohol, a little distilled water, and stylus brush does the job well.

S20211116_0008.jpg
S20211116_0012.jpg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
someones closes ( many) to me or myself have been using this technique for like 15 years.... without ever having encountered this... see cells worth several thousand euros etc
I think were are on the joking side. Never heard of a stylus cleaner made by barefoot virgin albinos in straw huts at the hillsides of Fuji. :)

JP

Major Contributor
someones closes ( many) to me or myself have been using this technique for like 15 years.... without ever having encountered this... see cartdriges worth several thousand euros etc

I've seen many reports over the years, though it's most likely the stylus bond was compromised in a different way, or it was dragged through the gel. I'd used it for about 10 years without any such issues.

I stopped using that stuff for the same exact reason. Bad combo with my old Denon DL-103R. Isopropyl alcohol, a little distilled water, and stylus brush does the job well.

View attachment 334715View attachment 334716

I'm rather confident that's what was on this P100CMK4 stylus, as it sealed NOS when I got it, used very little by me, and only on pristine records. In general I've never had the large debris like your picture shows, and it never presented under the microscope using the "Shure" method to evaluate wear, but it sure did with a different view (this might have been "dipped" ~30 times):

fin2-SharpenAI-Focus.jpeg
fin6-SharpenAI-Focus.jpeg

morillon

Major Contributor
I've seen many reports over the years, though it's most likely the stylus bond was compromised in a different way, or it was dragged through the gel. I'd used it for about 10 years without any such issues.

I'm rather confident that's what was on this P100CMK4 stylus, as it sealed NOS when I got it, used very little by me, and only on pristine records. In general I've never had the large debris like your picture shows, and it never presented under the microscope using the "Shure" method to evaluate wear, but it sure did with a different view (this might have been "dipped" ~30 times):

View attachment 334717View attachment 334718
I was talking about the magic eraser.. (but I really can't imagine possible detachment due to the gel itself, it's really not aggressive...unless you move it while the diamond is placed on it,rather poor handling, clumsiness, when doing things “placed” on the board that can move..it’s “dangerous” etc)

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
I was talking about the magic eraser.. (but I really can't imagine possible detachment due to the gel itself, it's really not aggressive...unless you move it while the diamond is placed on it)

For the gel, not with just dipping. ME I've actually gently dragged styli through a time or two for really dirty acquisitions, though I do it carefully under my inspection scope.

morillon

Major Contributor
For the gel, not with just dipping. ME I've actually gently dragged styli through a time or two for really dirty acquisitions, though I do it carefully under my inspection scope.
It seems to me that the story of the gel was precisely intended to reassure and avoid this... just drop the cartdrige on top and raise it with the arm lift... without risk of clumsiness etc..
(but "eraser" can also be used like this and is more effective)

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
It seems to me that the story of the gel was precisely intended to reassure and avoid this... just drop the cell on top and raise it with the arm lift... without risk of clumsiness etc..
(but "eraser" can also be used like this and is more effective)

Ya, I can't see how just dipping in the gel would pull the diamond off, unless it was going to come off anyway. Bummer the sticky issue, as it was a convenient method.

Top Bottom