• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T Bone Burnett Reveals New Analog Reproduction Technology

JWAmerica

Gussied up vinyl for people with more money than sense, imo.

Personally, I'll wait for 3D printed disposable vinyl and styluses. It's not audiophile perfection if it's been used more than once.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Just what the world needs... Another audio format... Especially a freekin' analog format. :rolleyes:

...First it was Neil Young, and now Bob Dylan.

According to a statement from the producer, one-of-a-kind Ionic Originals are “lacquer painted onto an aluminum disc, with a spiral etched into it by music.”
Similar to how a vinyl master is made...

P.S.
About 40 years ago I WOULD have been interested in ANY improvement to records.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Even show-biz oracle "Variety" has picked up on this eccentric idea. Much as I respect T-Bone Burnett's production prowess, this effort seems quixotic to say the least. What makes him and Dylan think that grooves etched into a layer of lacquer are going to be so much less susceptible to eventual degradation than vinyl when subjected to the mercies of a weighted stylus tip literally as hard as a diamond (because it is one)? Is this medium going to read optically or via some other non-contact technique?

Bob Dylan Has Re-Recorded Classic Tracks With T Bone Burnett to Introduce New Analog Disc Technology

Vict0r

"Analogue sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analogue has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analogue sound is alive."

Alive?? Dude's been sniffing too much of that lacquer paint. :p

Loathecliff

"Analogue sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analogue has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analogue sound is alive."

Must be so Vict0r.
Or dementia as he must have immediately forgotten about the character of Bob's voice box :facepalm:

Question:- Does this new tech involve microgrooves and unbreakability?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They need the old analog laser disc applied to audio. Would be better than this. Next they will reintroduce the old optical 35 mm film sound tracks. For inconvenience equal to old reel to reel tape.

clearnfc

Hope you know that all "digital sound" are from analogue sources through analog to digital conversion....

All your digital music can only be as good as the source, cannot exceed it.

clearnfc

Just what the world needs... Another audio format... Especially a freekin' analog format. :rolleyes:

...First it was Neil Young, and now Bob Dylan.

Similar to how a vinyl master is made...

P.S.
About 40 years ago I WOULD have been interested in ANY improvement to records.

If the etching is done on the aluminum (not the lacquer layer), it can really last a very long time...

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Hope you know that all "digital sound" are from analogue sources through analog to digital conversion....

All your digital music can only be as good as the source, cannot exceed it.
Right were as analogue can't even be as good as the source. If you fool yourself to think it can be better you like distortion. Besides there are digital sources in music production, synths and samplers, so your wrong there too.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
If the etching is done on the aluminum (not the lacquer layer), it can really last a very long time...
Wrong again. From https://psap.library.illinois.edu/collection-id-guide/phonodisc

Aluminum disc grooves are surprisingly malleable and were originally intended for use with either wooden needles or similarly forgiving fiber styli (e.g. cacti or bamboo). Just one playback with a modern standard-issue steel stylus can do irreparable damage to the grooves.

The aluminum disc recording is a relatively obscure phonograph format for one-off home and radio transcription recordings in the late 1920s through 1940s. Unlike any other phonograph, the aluminum transcription disc is plainly identifiable as uncoated, bare aluminum. These records have a limited dynamic range and inferior sound quality. The recording should be assumed to be unique and will require a delicate fiber stylus for responsible playback.

One off aluminum disc recordings were done in 1920 so there " first major development in analog music reproduction in more than 70 years" is a 100 year step backwards !!

If you read on they talk about lacquer (on aluminum) being used for direct to disc recording in the 1940's so TBone is an idiot.

And as one offs the price will be ridiculous. I don't get this. If I buy one of these is it the only recording of that take ? Thats what the marketing sounds like "its like an original painting". So Bob has to sing (and I use that term loosely) the same song 100 times if they want to sell 100 copies? I want the good take. Its like Piccasso painting the same picture 100 times. Sounds like more BS.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the medium would involve some kind of chemical bonding.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Gussied up vinyl for people with more money than sense, imo.

Personally, I'll wait for 3D printed disposable vinyl and styluses. It's not audiophile perfection if it's been used more than once.

I saw that announcement earlier and the amount of b.s. fumes wafting from his claims was very strong. Seemed like a lot of assertions playing off the “analog is best” trope with little technical detail behind the claims.

thegeton

Forum Donor
"When describing the quality that raises analogue sound above digital sound, the word 'warmth' is often used. Analogue sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analogue has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analogue sound is alive."

For audiophools, this translates to: "All your cash are belong to us."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But...

But...

Did you listen to it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the music he works on generally, but this is just silly. His description of digital vs analog is kinda out there, or his system has some issues he likes....

elvisizer

lol that press release . . .
Not only is an Ionic Original the equivalent of a painting, it is a painting. It is lacquer painted onto an aluminum disc, with a spiral etched into it by music. This painting, however, has the additional quality of containing that music, which can be heard by putting a stylus into the spiral and spinning it.
so the actual disc ITSELF is a visual work of art? hooookaaaaaaay

Top Bottom