• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers and their purpose

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi. Speakers and their purpose. Does it make any sense? Is it right or completely irrelevant, maybe even harmful?
For example, studio speakers are designed for the studio, and they should be there, not for music and home theater.
Isn't that bullshit?
PS Is JBL M2 really not suitable for home theater? How it's possible? Apparently there will be a lack of bass. Hmm ...
Greetings

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The purpose of loudspeakers is to convert (transduce) an electrical (AC) waveform to acoustic (longitudinal) waves.
A good one is a good one, although there's a substantial subjective component to what makes one "sound good".

I would argue that a benign impedance curve, good sensitivity, and minimal power compression are all very good things to have in a loudspeaker for serious listening, but these three parameters have long since fallen out of fashion with the availabiltiy of prodigous amounts of amplifier power cheaply.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Speakers and their purpose. Does it make any sense? Is it right or completely irrelevant, maybe even harmful?
For example, studio speakers are designed for the studio, and they should be there, not for music and home theater.
Isn't that bullshit?
PS Is JBL M2 really not suitable for home theater? How it's possible? Apparently there will be a lack of bass. Hmm ...
Greetings
M2 is great for home theater when the amplifiers can be placed in away from the listening area.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A good speaker is a good speaker.....it may be intended or somewhat limited for particular applications perhaps. Can't imagine why there'd be a problem using M2s for home theater, have read of several who have done that (as well as for 2ch setups). I wouldn't mind a pair of M2s at all....but I'm not going to be spending that kind of money to get 'em.

kongwee

Major Contributor
JBL M2 is full range. Good for everything. No problem to fill up the living room unless you have really big house. It is all about size.

lherrm

What do people do in studio with studio speakers ? I had the crazy idea it was about music.

Scgorg

While a good speaker is a good speaker, sometimes you make compromises in one area to gain in another. The recent response many people had to the Genelec S360 measurements was a good example of that. "Why wouldn't I just buy a 8351B" seemed to be a common opinion, where the proponents of said opinion often talked about the crossover lobing found in the S360.

The only problem is: these speakers are not made for the same purpose! The S360 is made to be a relatively compact, very high output speaker that is also high fidelity. The long term max SPL of the S360 (as given by Genelec) is 9dB higher. That is 8 times the acoustic power! Even the 8361, which is a larger speaker than the S360, has 3dB less long-term output. This is a clear example of different speakers being made for different purposes, even when both speakers can be considered state of the art for their form factor, and are priced close to one another.

Similarly, it's possible to make a small speaker with fantastic sound quality, while still having said speaker be utterly useless to someone because it doesn't fit their use case. The most obvious example being output limitations or even aesthetic concerns.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A speaker is a compromise between price, size, spl, efficience, look, FR,features....and...and.

You just have to find the compromise that fits your needs. ;)

OP
Adi777

Adi777

A speaker is a compromise between price, size, spl, efficience, look, FR,features....and...and.

You just have to find the compromise that fits your needs. ;)
Yes, it makes sense :)
The main point in the subject is that such reasoning is probably dictated by marketing and the desire for maximum profit.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yes, it makes sense :)
The main point in the subject is that such reasoning is probably dictated by marketing and the desire for maximum profit.

A different use case lead usually to a different compromise. And the price is very often a importend point in this compromise. Lets say for home hifi the look is importend, you have to push money in there. For a studio speaker its not so importend so you can push that lets say into features. Or for HT you could say a perfect FR is not so importend, but users like eathquakes so we push into low end extension and spl. The companys create with all that compromises a product that fits best the market(at least what they think that fits best)
At the end its at you what compromise fits you.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry for answering so late.
About 3,500 Euro, if I converted the Polish currency into Euro.
That inclusive of the amps? What are they? Helluva deal in any case.

ps now I look up....what are you going to use for amps/processor?

Last edited:
OP
Adi777

Adi777

That inclusive of the amps? What are they? Helluva deal in any case.

ps now I look up....what are you going to use for amps/processor?
I don't know yet, but first I must buy a third JBL M2.

Top Bottom