• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup for music and gaming.

lostone98

Hello I am new to all this and have never been here before. I hope this is ok to ask.

I would like this setup and wondering if someone can say if this setup is ok or is there a cheaper or better setup for the money.

Its a AUDIO-GD A1 Balanced Power amplifier ACSS XLR 2x200W 4 Ohms and this AUDIO-GD D-28.38 ES9038Pro DAC 32bit / 384kHz DSD512 Amanero Crystek Accusilicon Class A Discrete Headphone Amplifier.

I just don't know what speaker to get, with the earphones I will be using the Noble Kaiser Encore 10BA. Speakers will be mostly be for music which does need an option with sub woofer in the future and the IEMs will be for mostly games.

I was going to get the Q Acoustics Concept 20 and the Cyrus One HD Integrated Amplifier but I saw the the Audio-gd and look and sound really interesting.

I do hope I makes sense, have leaning difficulties and don't know a lot of terminology.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Loxjie A30 (review) (DAC + headphone amp + power amp + subwoofer output) for 150 EUR (tax excl) from audiophonics
Kef R3 (review) (bookshelf passive speakers) for 1300 EUR/pair.
Alternatively, LS50 Meta (review) for 1300 EUR/pair if you want something smaller in size.
Total 1450 EUR.

Alternatively, if you want to look at active setup:
Genelec 8030C (review) (active speaker) 530 EUR/ea
Topping DX3 Pro+ (review) (DAC + headphone amp) for 165 EUR (tax excl)
Total 1225 EUR.

Last edited:
OP
lostone98

lostone98

Loxjie A30 (review) (DAC + headphone amp + power amp + subwoofer output) for 150 EUR (tax excl) from audiophonics
Kef R3 (review) (bookshelf passive speakers) for 1300 EUR/pair.
Alternatively, LS50 Meta (review) for 1300 EUR/pair if you want something smaller in size.
Total 1450 EUR.

Alternatively, if you want to look at active setup:
Genelec 8030C (review) (active speaker) 530 EUR/ea
Topping DX3 Pro+ (review) (DAC + headphone amp) for 165 EUR (tax excl)
Total 1225 EUR.
I am looking to spend more on the integrated amplifier, say £800, Going second hand on speakers if I can.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I can recommend any nCore power amps from audiophonics.
Starting at 2x125w@4ohm for 400 EUR.

Alternatively, Topping PA5 power amp (review) for 290 EUR (tax excl)

Other people can recommend integrated amps, as I don't have recommendations for you.
Ok, I think I will look further into it but thank you so much.

Edit: anymore recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am going with LS50 Meta + PA5. Less noise concerns even with a dac, no preamp, and digital volume control. Good if you game close up like most PC gamers. Plus PA5 has a volume knob if you want it use it. And it's cheap, with enough power.

Metas will have a large vertical listening window, great if you're listening close and your posture isn't the same always when close up. Also takes up less space than R3. If none of those are a concern though then I'd go with R3.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I have almost the same use case, I use the PC for music listening but I also game on the system. I would recommend to get dedicated DACs for speakers and headphones. This allows you easy separation of both and you can apply DSP/DRC or other filters for each device. Do you need a microphone input at all? I used to use gaming headsets, but I've since moved to normal microphones with a mic stand.

If you buy an audio interface with mic pres now you leave that possibility open for the future. Also if you already have a this, a simple measurement mic allows you to do room correction with REW then.

I would also vote for something from KEF, their coaxes are great in the nearfield. I find them a bit bright in that application but it can be easily fixed.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I am going with LS50 Meta + PA5. Less noise concerns even with a dac, no preamp, and digital volume control. Good if you game close up like most PC gamers. Plus PA5 has a volume knob if you want it use it. And it's cheap, with enough power.

Metas will have a large vertical listening window, great if you're listening close and your posture isn't the same always when close up. Also takes up less space than R3. If none of those are a concern though then I'd go with R3.
Is it not better to have a 100 watt amp? I think this one is 50 watt.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I have almost the same use case, I use the PC for music listening but I also game on the system. I would recommend to get dedicated DACs for speakers and headphones. This allows you easy separation of both and you can apply DSP/DRC or other filters for each device. Do you need a microphone input at all? I used to use gaming headsets, but I've since moved to normal microphones with a mic stand.

If you buy an audio interface with mic pres now you leave that possibility open for the future. Also if you already have a this, a simple measurement mic allows you to do room correction with REW then.

I would also vote for something from KEF, their coaxes are great in the nearfield. I find them a bit bright in that application but it can be easily fixed.
Hello, I don't really need a microphone but I may do some online gaming in the future? I just would microphones with a mic stand too if I do that

BoredErica

Is it not better to have a 100 watt amp? I think this one is 50 watt.
Depends on listening distance, source material, how loud you listen.

Let's say a pessimistic efficiency of 83db/w, and round that 48w of pa5 down into 35w. That gets me 111.2db 1.5ft away with 2 speakers if speakers are 2-4ft from the wall. I am closer than that so the gain is even larger and I don't even like listening loud, my ears get annoyed with me before hearing loss territory.

Plus I have a powered sub so all the bass frequencies are cut.

edit:
Also that 48w figure is at 8ohms, the hard to drive load is at 3.7 ohm. At 4ohm that's 83w.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

Depends on listening distance, source material, how loud you listen.

Let's say a pessimistic efficiency of 83db/w, and round that 48w of pa5 down into 35w. That gets me 111.2db 1.5ft away with 2 speakers if speakers are 2-4ft from the wall. I am closer than that so the gain is even larger and I don't even like listening loud, my ears get annoyed with me before hearing loss territory.

Plus I have a powered sub so all the bass frequencies are cut.

edit:
Also that 48w figure is at 8ohms, the hard to drive load is at 3.7 ohm. At 4ohm that's 83w.
Could you recommenced me a 100 watt amp as we listen to music too, which what it would be used mostly for. Thank you!

Vict0r

Motu M4 usb interface (dac, balanced out, volume control and a decent headphone amp) in combination with a pair of sweet actives that fit in what remains of your budget, like the popular Genelecs. Super compact, easy to use, basically all-in-one and, depending on which speakers you buy, you'll be set for a long, long time.

BoredErica

Could you recommenced me a 100 watt amp as we listen to music too, which what it would be used mostly for. Thank you!
The difference between 80w and 100w is 1db. You will barely hear a difference, and even if you listened that loudly, the Meta itself will probably distort before the amp runs out of power. If you want to pump all 100w in you might even need different speakers than Metas. Speakers will struggle less when pushed loud if you have a subwoofer to take the lower frequencies out. If you're pushing things hard I'd get a sub.

If you need more power I'd try the Buckeye. (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckeye-6-channel-amplifier-review.18579/) (Store page here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/) $500, build lead time all the way into March though.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

Motu M4 usb interface (dac, balanced out, volume control and a decent headphone amp) in combination with a pair of sweet actives that fit in what remains of your budget, like the popular Genelecs. Super compact, easy to use, basically all-in-one and, depending on which speakers you buy, you'll be set for a long, long time.
Does that take a sub? Is that a active speaker so it doesn't need the Motu M4 amp?

Ah ok the Genelecs take a sub, what model would you suggest? Thinking of going second hand.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Does that take a sub? Is that a active speaker so it doesn't need the Motu M4 amp?

Ah ok the Genelecs take a sub, what model would you suggest? Thinking of going second hand.

I'd just calculate what amount will be left in your budget after you get the interface and sub, and use that to get the best Genelecs you can afford. For a sub you could look at the Presonus Sub8. It's not the beefiest sub on the planet, but it takes a balanced signal so you can just have your active speakers directly connected to it without any hassle. The reviews are great, despite it's relatively affordable price tag. It's no SVS or Velodyne, but it's pretty awesome for the price.

Also, maybe consider getting the sub later. Would make sense to first experience if you actually need one.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I'd just calculate what amount will be left in your budget after you get the interface and sub, and use that to get the best Genelecs you can afford. For a sub you could look at the Presonus Sub8. It's not the beefiest sub on the planet, but it takes a balanced signal so you can just have your active speakers directly connected to it without any hassle. The reviews are great, despite it's relatively affordable price tag. It's no SVS or Velodyne, but it's pretty awesome for the price.

Also, maybe consider getting the sub later. Would make sense to first experience if you actually need one.
Aren't the Genelecs more suitable for music reproduction then gaming?

OP
lostone98

lostone98

What setup do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Vict0r

Aren't the Genelecs more suitable for music reproduction then gaming?

Music reproduction is sound reproduction. Gaming audio is also sound reproduction. Great sound is great sound. :) There's no such thing as a "gaming speaker", if that's what you mean.

Top Bottom