• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

Hmast

Hi @VintageFlanker,

Merci so much for the reviews.
I'm considering an SMSL PO100 PRO to connect my PC to a pair of Genelec 8351B.

What cable would you recommend to connect the SMSL to the XLR AES/EBU input of my speakers? If possible easy ones to order from France... (amazon, Thomann...).

The only thing I was able to find is this cable but it doesn't feel like great stuff, I'd rather buy neutrik connectors: https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_male_3.htm

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What cable would you recommend to connect the SMSL to the XLR AES/EBU input of my speakers?
Certainly no direct cables since S/PDIF coax is normalised at 75Ω while AES/EBU is 110.

I would rather use a regular 75Ω coax wires + these:

mrjayviper

Question please. If I insert the pro between my PC and DAC (using HDMI input), what advantages am I getting if all I cook are playing local files (half are 92khz sans above). Thanks

ThatGuyYouKnow

I know that SMSL advertisies game console compatibility, but has anyone confirmed if any of these devices actually work with the Nintendo Switch? The PO100 (with UAC1 firmware) and C200 in UAC1 mode don't actually work with the Switch. Fine with the PS5.
The PO100 PRO works for me with the Switch in UAC1. No problems at all.

Hmast

That PO100 PRO is hard to find :/ I have set alerts when some are back in stock.

flowjm

@SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu any comments on the discrepancy between left and right channels, and the high frequency attenuation of the AK model? Are they going to be fixed at some point? I'd really like to buy one to use with my phone and laptop, but not while there are still such glaring deficiencies in performance.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
First of all, thank you for discussing the problems of the PO100 series.
Then observe the test data, we suspect that the PO100 AK may be defective - parts soldering caused by this test. The following is the data of our test on PO100 AK.
12.jpg

123.jpg

So we request to be able to retest @VintageFlanker (we can provide a PO100 AK sample for free. Please contact me privately with the exact shipping address). The next item to note is that we are using one of the Slow Roll-Off filters in the AK4493S due to MQA certification.
Finally we will also put some detailed test data of the PO100 AK on our web sales page. Thank you for your continued support of our company. Thank you.

flowjm

Thanks for your response @SMSL-Mandy. How common are the faults in these units, and if I were to buy one, how could I test that it's working correctly? Also, are there any plans to allow the filter to be changed by the user? I have no interest in MQA, and would rather use a filter that has a flatter frequency response in the audible range. Thanks again.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JktHifi

Just tested PO100 AK for 3 days. No problem found so far.
  1. Using Ipad Pro 12.9 inch usb C to C charging cable from apple. Ipad battery from 80% to empty playing non-stop music from Qobuz app half day long.
  2. The RCA analog output is the best. Comparing to optical and coaxial input of Onkyo A-9010
  3. It can output paralel at the same time optical, coaxial, and rca. It means can connect to 3 DACs/Amps and get the sound from those.
  4. The cost is less than $100

Attachments

• DFAA80C1-34E8-4173-8BA4-76F11D720701.jpeg
    DFAA80C1-34E8-4173-8BA4-76F11D720701.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom