• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

pouni

Hi, I went through some trial and error connecting my PO100 Pro with my Musician Pegasus. Maybe you can somehow benefit from what I have written in following forum post:

Mr_Nujin

Hi, I went through some trial and error connecting my PO100 Pro with my Musician Pegasus. Maybe you can somehow benefit from what I have written in following forum post:
Checking it out now. Thank you for the response!

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Hi together, I have received the PO100 Pro and everything works fine connected to a Windows 11 PC. Do you think I should install the driver from the SMSL Website even though it seems to work also without these drivers?
Kind of like topping drivers if you want all sample rates and ASIO yes you will need the driver.

Rover

Hello. Long time lurker, first time post. I am having a hard time with my I2S connection between the PO100Pro and Topping D90. Based on the I2S interface in the manual, I should be in Mode 2 on the PO100Pro and STD on the D90. But I am not getting any sound. Optical and Coaxial is working. Any troubleshooting tips to get the I2S connection working? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 256261
I checked the optics and coaxial on PO100PRO for interest in the MQA and yes, everything decodes perfectly.
I checked for an I2S connection to the SMSL D400EX and yes, everything plays perfectly except MQA, Although 100 pro itself shows decoding.I don't use an MQA myself, it's purely for an experiment.
:)
ps. Turn on the reverse at 90 and mode 1 at 100PRO.

Mr_Nujin

I checked the optics and coaxial on PO100PRO for interest in the MQA and yes, everything decodes perfectly.
I checked for an I2S connection to the SMSL D400EX and yes, everything plays perfectly except MQA, Although 100 pro itself shows decoding.I don't use an MQA myself, it's purely for an experiment.
:)
ps. Turn on the reverse at 90 and mode 1 at 100 percent.
I may have tried that setting but will give it another try. Thanks!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I know that SMSL advertisies game console compatibility, but has anyone confirmed if any of these devices actually work with the Nintendo Switch? The PO100 (with UAC1 firmware) and C200 in UAC1 mode don't actually work with the Switch. Fine with the PS5.

MacCali

Major Contributor
The PO100 Pro is fire, just got it and hooked it up to the PC. Replacing the schitt Eitr, no blind testing but definitely sounds fairly close to my streamer o.o

capslock

I quickly tried that with REW just updated to V5.20.14:
View attachment 253464

Is this digital or analog out? The request by Tangband that you quoted seems to imply it is digital out, but for digital out, it looks almost poor. For analog, it looks extremely good.

Did you do measurements of analog out of the PO 100 Pro? What DAC does it use?

capslock

Thanks. So this is the toslink out of the PO 100 Pro --> E70 XLR out --> E1DA?

Are there measurements of PO 100 Pro Cinch out --> E1DA?

My question pertained to the DAC chip inside the PO 100 Pro.

capslock

Ok, now I get it. The Pro adds the other XMOS chip and I2S, but no analog out.

flowjm

It's a shame that the DAC portion of AK variant isn't better, otherwise it would be a great all in one audio output for a laptop.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I love the device for what I need it to do, but man the build quality is ....... I would highly suggest being very careful with making sure it stays still as 2 now have been sent back from a weak connection for the spdif, now it did fall from about 10 inches on carpet but audio stoped right then. You could hold it in place to make it work.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may have come across a faulty AK unit.
Nope. I don't think so. So far, there's nothing that can lead to this conclusion.

@SMSL-Mandy was seen online way after the review, review that was promoted to the home page. Hard to imagine that S.M.S.L missed it. Or if they did, they don't care that much, which is hardly any better. That is on them to claim if it is, or could be, a defective unit.

Since the manufacturer is unable to provide any measurements of PO100 AK's both channels to compare with mine, then my guess is that most, if any, PO100 AK have the same behaviour, and that they're OK with it. Unless they publish something here to complement my data, or that they make a proposal for sending me a second sample, the conclusion remains the same: The PO100 AK is faulty. ;)

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Nope. I don't think so. So far, there's nothing that can lead to this conclusion.

@SMSL-Mandy was seen online way after the review, review that was promoted to the home page. Hard to imagine that S.M.S.L missed it. Or if they did, they don't care that much, which is hardly any better. That is on them to claim if it is, or could be, a defective unit.

Since the manufacturer is unable to provide any measurements of PO100 AK's both channels to compare with mine, then my guess is that most, if any, PO100 AK have the same behaviour, and that they're OK with it. Unless they publish something here to complement my data, or that they make a proposal for sending me a second sample, the conclusion remains the same: The PO100 AK is faulty. ;)
In your opinion is the po100 pro still the best choice for USB to 3 outputs? Coax ,optical and I2S.

Top Bottom