• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Saga Tube Pre-amp

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pardon my noobness but I'm confused about what about does passive or active mode mean on this?

Cougar

Pardon my noobness but I'm confused about what about does passive or active mode mean on this?
It's a Passive Preamp but has a Tube Buffer to help with longer runs of cables from preamp to power amp. It's still 1 to 1 gain or unity gain. So you will need a Source/s that puts a good level on its output or you will be maxing out the volume on the Saga + I would get up to 1-2pm on the volume knob before I got the ART RCA to XLR converter and that was pretty loud for my system which has 87db speakers.

Aneal

so I'm about to pull the plug and buy one of these units to run my audio alchemy overture OM150 amp. Right now I got my Aiyima t9 running as a pre amp. what I like out the saga is the 2 out-puts so i can run one to my sub amp so I don't have to run a Y- connector. question 1: how do you like the saga? from this thread looks like a positive one and 2: is the saga+ worth it? I don't have log cables, the longest is 6 ft. here's my setup, thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20230427_195956.jpg
    20230427_195956.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 50

RedBull15

Hello,
I am interested in using this pre-amp to switch between my AVR line-level output Front R - L Mains and a DMP-A6 DAC to my 2-channel Pass Labs x350. Would this be a good solution for my needs and would it be better to run passive for both line-level inputs or would I benefit from the active stage? I will be controlling my volume from the AVR for theater listening and in 2 channels from the DMP-A6 DAC. If the Saga+ isn't a good solution I am open to recommendations. Looking for the best sound quality without losing gain between connections.
Thanks

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
I am interested in using this pre-amp to switch between my AVR line-level output Front R - L Mains and a DMP-A6 DAC to my 2-channel Pass Labs x350. Would this be a good solution for my needs and would it be better to run passive for both line-level inputs or would I benefit from the active stage? I will be controlling my volume from the AVR for theater listening and in 2 channels from the DMP-A6 DAC. If the Saga+ isn't a good solution I am open to recommendations. Looking for the best sound quality without losing gain between connections.
Thanks

Essentially the passive preamp is going to work great. But if all you need a source selector, you might be fine since you would be running the preamp at full blast and using the upstream sources to control volume.

That has no remote.

I personally opted for this:

To give me a passive volume attenuator and a tube option.

RedBull15

Thank you for the reply, looks like the Freya S in passive mode for my AVR RCA input would work. I am using the internal DAC of the DMP-A6 RCA output as well because I have the XLR output connected to my active subs. Should I use the pre-amp of the DMP-A6 to control volume or run fixed and use the Freya S active tube stage output?

AaronJ

Hello,
Thanks
I would get a preamp with a HT pass-thru instead of a Saga. I think it’s best to separate the volume control so the AVR does the work without being tied to the volume control of the preamp. Something like the bypass input of a Parasound Zpre3 which is a comparable product in price and features.

Top Bottom