• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Saga Tube Pre-amp

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Yes, I did say I'm using my CD player with no dac at this moment.since I just sold the DAC I was using...a Musical fidelity V90. My plan was to buy a Topping D50. As far as computer. I have a 4 year old Asus laptop running Windows 10. I use Tidal HiFi setting. Ah...yes I do have a USB Dac. For Tidal. An Audioquest Drangonfly Black for MQA. The volume is a little lower going down this path. It's still satisfying. Again my beef is running the SAGA full out to the end.
D
Now I am now thinking exactly as you suggest...running a DAC/preamp. I was looking at the Cambridge Dac magic for an unbelievable 349.00. This gives me a preamp and Dac. Twin Wolfson s....I'm hoping Amir has receiwed the latest version? That would be very helpful.
If not I will buy what seems to be the best DAC for under 1,000. The D50. And use the Schiit passive SYS while I figure out the rest. Which would be selling the Saga and Linn 140 for a good intergrated.
The black output is only 1.2 volts that is why your volume is lower. The CD is 2 volts. If the cd player is loud enough then a dac with normal 2v output will be ok. The passive pre is like a water faucet, if there is low pressure there will be little flow. There is no problem running with the passive pre volume on full if you are happy with the volume. If not maybe an active pre with gain, or as mentioned more efficient speakers.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I checked Tidal. And everything is Max output. I use a Drangonfly Black for Tidal. I have an Asus laptop running Windows 10. What I really need to do is open up JRiver and run Tidal through it. I just have not stopped to do yhst. Jriver may adjust and correct the interface. The Onkyo 7030 shoul be out putting 2v. I'll check that spec too. A few posts ago in this thread I mentioned the NAD was playing louder across the board with same CD player. No mismatch possibly because it's an intergrated.
The NAD preamp section is active with gain that is why. The nad amp section has good overhead so it was giving you more peak power without noticeable distortion. Even if an amp is twice as powerful, that is only 3db louder. How it overloads and handles peaks is also important. This is why the nad was louder.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was looking as the DX3 PRO. Then I started reading users switching out resistors and some Caps. To improve it...or am I misinformed? The DX3 would cover all the bases and add BT.
They are just playing around. No modification is needed to necessary for performance.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked Tidal. And everything is Max output. I use a Drangonfly Black for Tidal. I have an Asus laptop running Windows 10. What I really need to do is open up JRiver and run Tidal through it. I just have not stopped to do yhst. Jriver may adjust and correct the interface. The Onkyo 7030 shoul be out putting 2v. I'll check that spec too. A few posts ago in this thread I mentioned the NAD was playing louder across the board with same CD player. No mismatch possibly because it's an intergrated.

That's curious. According to its spec sheet, the Dragonfly Black should output 1.2V RMS.

I agree that the NAD probably worked better because it was not a unity gain device, but I'm still puzzled as to why your sources can't seem to clip the Linn when run through the Schiit...

In any case, the Dragonfly Black did not measure particularly well when Amir tested it. Perhaps a better solution for you would be to buy a DAC with integrated digital volume control that has both USB and SPDIF inputs (assuming your CD player has an SPDIF output?). Then use the DAC as a "preamp" (source selector and volume control) and run that directly into the Linn.

BTW, in Foobar under Settings/Playback it is possible to enable/disable replay gain. You might want to fiddle with that setting too.

michman66

That's curious. According to its spec sheet, the Dragonfly Black should output 1.2V RMS.

I agree that the NAD probably worked better because it was not a unity gain device, but I'm still puzzled as to why your sources can't seem to clip the Linn when run through the Schiit...

In any case, the Dragonfly Black did not measure particularly well when Amir tested it. Perhaps a better solution for you would be to buy a DAC with integrated digital volume control that has both USB and SPDIF inputs (assuming your CD player has an SPDIF output?). Then use the DAC as a "preamp" (source selector and volume control) and run that directly into the Linn.

BTW, in Foobar under Settings/Playback it is possible to enable/disable replay gain. You might want to fiddle with that setting too.
Exactly, so my friend, instead of the D50, maybe I should get the DX3 PRO? Or I was looking at the Cambridge DAC magic plus. I was looking on this site to see if it was ever tested. I do not see that it was. Any thought on the Cambridge? I had another member relate to me, he owns both the D50 and DX 3 pro and said the D50 is clearer and resolved abit better. The Dx 3 being "warmer and more musical". If I can spring it, I'll get both as long as I can return one. If I can get close to the D50 , the DX3 would all all the features and BT too! The DF Black I have had for a few years on my desktop system. It gives me MQA in Tidal. Neither Topping does that, so I'll have to use the DF still. Or wait and see if something else shows up with MQA?

michman66

They are just playing around. No modification is needed to necessary for performance.
Amir, would you think the DX3 PRO would be a great choice for a DAC/ PRE AMP for me? Then I can just sell the SAGA and run the DX 3 right into my amp and see how the volume does? If that does not work, I'll have to think about changing out the amp. Thank you, Otto ALSO any thoughts on Cambridge DAC Magic Plus for 349.00 looks like a worthy piece to consider.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@michman66, I think the DX3 would be perfect for you. Just take note of a few complaints some (certainly not all!) ppl have had about its reliability and functionality. A great unit though. Ditto for the DAC Magic Plus, which was measured by Ken Rockwell IIRC and performs excellently. I don’t think you’d be going wrong with either, and TBH I don’t think under controlled conditions it would be possible to tell the difference.

Both those units should more than adequately power you amp too btw.

michman66

@michman66, I think the DX3 would be perfect for you. Just take note of a few complaints some (certainly not all!) ppl have had about its reliability and functionality. A great unit though. Ditto for the DAC Magic Plus, which was measured by Ken Rockwell IIRC and performs excellently. I don’t think you’d be going wrong with either, and TBH I don’t think under controlled conditions it would be possible to tell the difference.

Both those units should more than adequately power you amp too btw.
I'm reading reviews on Amazon, and they are very strong. With the reliability issues of the DX3 I'm kinda nervous about it. Should I be? Also I can purchase DAC Magic from a US dealer and have recourse if I need a repair? I'm not familiar with Ken Rockwell?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm reading reviews on Amazon, and they are very strong. With the reliability issues of the DX3 I'm kinda nervous about it. Should I be? Also I can purchase DAC Magic from a US dealer and have recourse if I need a repair? I'm not familiar with Ken Rockwell?

People have very strong views both ways on DX3 reliability. I'm not the person to ask as I've never owned it.

The Ken Rockwell measurements of the Dac Magic are here. I'm in Germany so I have no idea about US dealer warranties, sorry :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, would you think the DX3 PRO would be a great choice for a DAC/ PRE AMP for me?
I have not kept up with your needs but I will tell you mine. I have the DX3 Pro hooked up to my computer I do all of this work and listen with headphones most of them the time. Other times, they feed my powered NHT speakers, or headphone amplifiers under test. It is wonderful for all of these needs.

The only strike against it is reported reliability issues with some units. So be sure to get it from some place with good return policy.

michman66

I have not kept up with your needs but I will tell you mine. I have the DX3 Pro hooked up to my computer I do all of this work and listen with headphones most of them the time. Other times, they feed my powered NHT speakers, or headphone amplifiers under test. It is wonderful for all of these needs.

The only strike against it is reported reliability issues with some units. So be sure to get it from some place with good return policy.

Thank you AMIR, I checked on the DAC MAGIC and its has a 3 year parts and labor warranty. That is very reassuring. Care to take a leap and help me decide? DAC Magic or DX3?

chauct

All in all it looks like a winner. A remote input selector and remote volume control with decent performance.

Plenty of guys with vintage setups seem to like Schiit and this device will turn their old-skool rigs into semi-modern remote controlled systems.

My setup only has one source, hence no need for an input selector. However, I'd like to know if this does volume control better than the digital volume control found on a typical DAC.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you AMIR, I checked on the DAC MAGIC and its has a 3 year parts and labor warranty. That is very reassuring. Care to take a leap and help me decide? DAC Magic or DX3?
I have a DAC Magic in for review. Until i test it, I can't tell you if it is as good or not.

michman66

I have a DAC Magic in for review. Until i test it, I can't tell you if it is as good or not.
Thats great, I know you have many, many reviews to do, LOL any idea when it might make your bench, I can hold off on a purchase.

michman66

Cool!! I'll wait...gladly... interesting which one will rise to the top. Ya, I can end this dilemma by getting a different pre amp in place of the Saga and buy the D50.

michman66

It is at least two weeks away.
I just listed the SAGA for sale. Is there a for sale section to ASR? I decided to sell and move to a DAC/ Pre amp. I can post details on the unit. I have a full AD in US Audio Mart too. Cheers.

michman66

People have very strong views both ways on DX3 reliability. I'm not the person to ask as I've never owned it.

The Ken Rockwell measurements of the Dac Magic are here. I'm in Germany so I have no idea about US dealer warranties, sorry :)

I just listed the SAGA for sale. Is there a for sale section to ASR? I decided to sell and move to a DAC/ Pre amp. I can post details on the unit. I have a full AD in US Audio Mart too. Cheers.

Top Bottom