• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and measurements of B&K AV30.2 ICEpower 50ASX2SE PWR Amp

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the B&K Components AV30.2 Power Amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. The AV30.2 is discontinued but is available on the used market for low price I am told. I found one listing with asking price of $175 but not others. The good news is that it uses the ICEPOWER 50ASX2SE class-D amplifier module so the review should be relevant to other amplifiers in the market now.

The B&K amp is targeted the CI (custom integration) market meaning it is usually installed in home and businesses by a dealer/installer as part of a larger system. This amp for example could be hidden behind a flat panel TV powering a couple of speakers. For this reason, the form-factor and connectivity follows the requirements for this market.

Here is the front panel:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Audio Review.jpg

The "business end" is on the back:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 back panel Audio Review.jpg

As you can tell, there is fair amount of connectivity for home automation. I did not investigate them but I imagine you can power the unit on and off remotely to say, synchronise with the TV being turned on/off.

I liked the level control for both channels. It is buttery smooth, putting many other volume controls to shame. Using that, I was able to get perfect match between the two channels -- something you can't hardly do with any modern amplifier anymore.

The speaker connections use phoenix connectors which while super common in CI industry, was not the greatest choice here. It was very easy to have the outputs short out if you left any copper sticking out the screw terminal. In use, the connector did not make tight enough connection causing the performance of one channel to vary as much as 20 dB. It was tight by feel but noise level would go up and down if I wiggled it. For intended application probably did not matter. If you want to use it for hifi home application, you may want to hard wire them if you run into the same issue I did.

In use, the unit barely got warm to touch. There is plenty of ventilation on top and bottom which helps in this regard as does the high efficiency of its switchmode power supply and class-d amplification module.

Power Amplifier Audio Measurements
Here is our usual dashboard at 5 watt into 4 ohm:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Audio Measurements.png

I adjusted the output gain to 29 dB which means the controls were near max. Performance may vary some at lower gain values. I used 29 dB since it is probably the most common/THX recommended gain level.

THD+N was 0.008%. The 50ASX2SE spec from what I recall is less than half at 0.003%. The discrepancy may be due to gain stage, the connector and just variation in units. Overall, it is in the ballpark of what they advertise. This translates into a SINAD above mid-point of all the amplifiers we have tested:

Best Audio Amplifiers Reviewed.png

Signal to noise ratio is just good enough for 16-bit audio playback at 98 dB at full power:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 SNR Audio Measurements.png

On right is the same measurement but relative to max of 5 watts. SNR does not drop much which is very good.

Frequency response was dead flat in audible band and quite well-behaved with output filtering:
&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

Wide-band FFT spectrum shows ugliness that we typically see in class-d amps (at 5 watt here) and this is probably a more uglier than the normal picture:
&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 FFT Audio Measurements.png

More of a visual scare though than audio.

Most important measurement for an amplifier is power versus distortion and noise. Let's start with the common load of 4 ohm:
&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

As you see, one channel started to deviate as I said in the introduction. But still, both of them are smooth and well-behaved giving us a power rating of 42 watts before hard clipping sets in.

At 8 ohm, power level drops a lot as you would expect:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Power into 8 ohm Audio Measurements.png

Funny there though in how much lower noise and distortion the AV30.2 has compared to the NAD T758 AV Receiver (in dashed blue). Would be a good replacement for it had it had more power. If the modules higher in range have same performance, they may be a good application to power home theaters.

That said, these modules have almost no headroom as their peak power is almost the same as average:
&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 Peak Power into 8 and 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

This is because unlike class AB amplifiers, the power supply in these class-D amps is regulated and so other than some storage in output caps, can't provide more juice for short periods.

Another sign of good design is how the performance of the amplifier varies with level and frequency:

&K AV30.2 Brick Amp  ICEPower 50ASX2 THD vs Freq vs Level Audio Measurements.png

Each line pair of the same color (solid and dashed) is at a different frequency. An ideal amplifier would not care about frequency so all the graphs would land on top of each other. Here, they vary some but much less than some other amplifiers I have measured.

Conclusions
The B&K AV30.2 provides competent performance across suite of measurements. It runs cool, is efficient and small. It easily outperforms mass market AVRs for example. Alas, there is not a lot of power here so other than desktop speaker application, I would seek out something more powerful.

Overall, I am going to put the B&K AV30.2 and by implication, the ICEPOWER 50ASX2SE on my recommended list for mid-level performance amplification.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

The demands by the Pink Panthers seems to never end. The one I use in this review wants to have "plastic" surgery done to repair his ear. I tell him that nobody notices that but he says he does every time he looks in the mirror. Please donate some money for his surgery using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Amir, do you know if the switching noise tracks the signal? If you drop to 1 W or increase to 10 W (or whatever) how does the amplitude of the switching spurs vary? You sort of think it would stay at the same level so change accordingly relative to the signal amplitude. That is, does the switching noise spike stay at a relatively fixed voltage no matter the output amplitude?

Sorry if I've already asked this, getting old and senile...

Curious, thanks,
Don

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, do you know if the switching noise tracks the signal? If you drop to 1 W or increase to 10 W (or whatever) how does the amplitude of the switching spurs vary? You sort of think it would stay at the same level so change accordingly relative to the signal amplitude. That is, does the switching noise spike stay at a relatively fixed voltage no matter the output amplitude?

Sorry if I've already asked this, getting old and senile...

Curious, thanks,
Don
I think I tested this a while back and it was proportional to output level but now I don't remember.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think I tested this a while back and it was proportional to output level but now I don't remember.

Oh good, so senility is contagious... I have the same vague memory but am not sure either. I can think of why it could go either way but betting it only goes one.

SEKLEM

I don't know if it will help, it may help to tag the title with ICEpower 50ASX2SE because the make and model of this amp is pretty obscure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know if it will help, it may help to tag the title with ICEpower 50ASX2SE because the make and model of this amp is pretty obscure.
Good idea. Done.

SEKLEM

It was interesting to go back and compare these measurements to the Topping TP60 & FX Audio FX502SPro. I know they aren't particularly comparable, but the TP60 is similar in physical size. There's a lot of spare room inside the AV30.2's chassis. It seems like they could have put a more powerful module in there.

avddreamr

Of note is the rising the above 6.67khz per the spec sheet on all asx ice power modules. Would it be possible to do a thd frequency sweep at 5w and max power?

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The model may be obscure, but B&K is an old, revered name. I had no idea they're making another run. Or else someone just bought the name. But I still see old B&K ST140 amplifiers turn up for sale, and they sell instantly. They also made a great preamp, the Pro 10MC, which was an Aczel favorite and likewise an instant sale when they come up on the used market. All of their stuff was made in the USA.

They got into home theater fairly big in '90s - '00s, if memory serves. Never tried any of that kit, but they were always a respected maker.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Of note is the rising the above 6.67khz per the spec sheet on all asx ice power modules. Would it be possible to do a thd frequency sweep at 5w and max power?
That data is in this graph:

index.php

I have sweeps for 20 kHz (red), 15 Khz (green), 10 kHz (light blue), etc. You have full information across the entire power spectrum to max.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
In the web I've seen many comments about bad performance at high frequencies. We can see some deterioration, but not severe let alone audible. I've been using these modules for upper midrange and tweeters for some 5 years now, power on practically 24/7 without problems. Sub and bass are handled with 125ASX2 boards, bought from eBay. It was tough to get matching connectors, nowdays it is easier.

ICEPower amps eg. from here https://www.ghentaudio.com/

Last edited:

Biblob

This is pretty good performance for the price. Do you have any of the 125ASX2 boards in the que?

avddreamr

Yes it is, sorry I must have missed it because I was on mobile. It's not quite as bad as I thought it would be at 10khz. Thank you.

That data is in this graph:

index.php

I have sweeps for 20 kHz (red), 15 Khz (green), 10 kHz (light blue), etc. You have full information across the entire power spectrum to max.

SEKLEM

The model may be obscure, but B&K is an old, revered name. I had no idea they're making another run. Or else someone just bought the name. But I still see old B&K ST140 amplifiers turn up for sale, and they sell instantly. They also made a great preamp, the Pro 10MC, which was an Aczel favorite and likewise an instant sale when they come up on the used market. All of their stuff was made in the USA.

They got into home theater fairly big in '90s - '00s, if memory serves. Never tried any of that kit, but they were always a respected maker.

B&K is now owned by ATI. Mostly just systems integration stuff last I checked.

I have two B&K 125.2 amps (basically the same as the ST140 but newer). They work and sound great.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although the amp is discontinued, this gives us an idea of what this Icepower module can do.

g29

Thanks for adding some ICEPOWER modules to the list.

Top Bottom