• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 253 80.8%

• Total voters

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a thread somewhere, where this might be considered informative?
I guess on any of the hundreds or thousands of subjective audiophile sites...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well this just goes to show that paying too much attention to the Measurement page is misguided! Take a look at the Conclusions at the end of the write up:

"Words fail to express the satisfaction I derived listening to music through this expensive Audio Note integrated amplifier. I've got nothing bad to say about it—except for the air thing, if you care about that. I detected no (other) anomalies, artifacts, sonic peculiarities, or outright shortcomings. The Tonmeister, together with the Audio Note SUT I auditioned it with, took what I hear from my vinyl collection and made it better, portraying each performance as a singular, unique event occurring at a particular time and place, its secrets revealed.

If there's a better integrated amplifier in the world than the Audio Note Meishu Phono 300B Tonmeister, I haven't heard it yet."

I've not bothered to read the whole review as it's not an amp I have any interested in, but if it was, surely those comments are more likely to encourage a serious demo than a few PC screen plots showing what a microphone picks up?

Had I concerned myself with the Measurements page of the Avantgarde Uno's 2002 review, perhaps I wouldn't have bothered to read the extremely detailed and accurate write-up by Robert Deutsch that prompted my purchase, and I'd have missed out on years of musical entertainment listening to those great speakers.
The ‘subjective’ text is just that just a puff piece, ,didn’t two of the Stereophile ‘reviewers’ used to import Audio Note into the US?
Measurements on the other hand don’t lie.
What I find interesting is that you rejected a fine measuring amplifier. and eventually settled on a fine measuring amplifier, which I believe would be absolutely indistinguishable if compared level matched and unsighted.
Keith

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A new thread here would be fine: AHB2 - poor damping factor, overrated, and too expensive :p

- Rich

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes.

Is there a thread somewhere, where this might be considered informative?

- Rich
No. He's completely lost, and is using useless subjective comments from silly reviews to justify a position he is emotionally attached to.

Edit: the only reasons I ever read Stereophile was to read JA's measurements sections, and his occasional commentary articles about how he made recordings.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought 5 :p

There is no issue driving the Salon2 woofers.

- Rich
I hope you have a special "personal articles" insurance policy to cover your system. No homeowner's policy I've ever seen will cover that $80K-$100K you've invested (at retail replacement cost)...

Martini

Forum Donor

- Rich
I’ve only bought 2, but I’m a mere peasant. They are driving a pair of F328be and sound fantastic, not “dull” in the least.

Geert

Major Contributor

Such low impedance speakers on an amp with abysmal damping factor, poor you ;)

Hear Here

Measurements on the other hand don’t lie.
Thanks Keith - But with no ears, they can't judge the joy or otherwise that listeners with ears are searching for.

What I find interesting is that you rejected a fine measuring amplifier. and eventually settled on a fine measuring amplifier, which I believe would be absolutely indistinguishable if compared level matched and unsighted.
Are you talking about the AHB2 and the M33? If so, there was a significant difference in the sound between these 2 well-measuring amps.

In fact I was looking for a replacement (solid state) amp for my earlier SETs. These were based on 845 and PX-25 tubes, but I'd also had amps using 300B and 6C33C. It was no easy exercise, but all decisions were taken on how the amps actually sounded. Not all equally good measuring amps sound the same as I described above. Peter

AdamG

The effort is the “tell” of honest engagement…
Forum Donor
Thanks Keith - But with no ears, they can't judge the joy or otherwise that listeners with ears are searching for.

Are you talking about the AHB2 and the M33? If so, there was a significant difference in the sound between these 2 well-measuring amps.

In fact I was looking for a replacement (solid state) amp for my earlier SETs. These were based on 845 and PX-25 tubes, but I'd also had amps using 300B and 6C33C. It was no easy exercise, but all decisions were taken on how the amps actually sounded. Not all equally good measuring amps sound the same as I described above. Peter
You do realize where you are right? Audio Science. All your Subjective opinions and awakenings are mostly irrelevant to our Members. If we want to read this regurgitated advertisement lingo we can go to any number of Subjective Review Sites and YouTube blathers. You have been here a few years so you know exactly what you are doing with your attempts to drag members into your Troll bait posts. It’s not working but you obviously won’t stop on your own so we are stepping in to halt your nonsense. Take a few weeks off and contemplate if you honestly want to discuss engineering and science. If you don’t please go find a better home. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Perhaps not worth taking too seriously, but AHB2 was a finalist but not a winner in Stereophile's 2016 "Best of" awards in 2016, whereas in 2020 they chose the M33 as their Amplification Component of the Year and their overall Component of the Year and also their Editors' Choice - a hat trick that I believe no other product has ever achieved. Thank you Kal - see -
I don't any way to draw conclusions from this. Very few of the other editors have had any contact with the AHB2.
The point I made earlier about reviewers' caveats regarding the AHB2 is typified by the section under Listening in the City on Page 2 of Kal's review -
Where is the caveat?

denydog

I kind of enjoy Here Here' s contributions to this thread. It has been a little dull lately, but nothing like some good humor to perk it up. I've been laughing.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you believe you can judge it by reading some audiophile magazine review? :)

livinon2wheels

"More than enough".I guess I neeed to rephrase the question...does the damping factor go up or down? Conventional thinking would say that it goes down with a lower load impedance, but that applies to conventional (class a or a/b) amps. I don't know how class D circuitry handles differing load impedances with respect to damping factor. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely dispute that. I spent 3 weeks with a NAD M22 and the Benchmark AHB2, agonizingly so. There was zero difference in sound, and miniscule measured differences in Stereophile tests.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To livinon2wheels (that seems to have managed to write his/her question inside the quotes attributing it to me) - the damping factor is defined as the ratio of load impedance to output impedance, so it is no way dependent on the amplifier operating class. It is exactly the same for class A, A/B, D (or C, for that matter).

Top Bottom