• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Accuphase E-270 Amplifier

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another flagship brand bites the dust. Now with the imminent Hypex Nilai 500D on sale at the end of October, I do really wonder who is the non-music lover that chooses looks over substance? Thank you Amir for steering away from (expensive) bells and whistles and toward value and quality.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I own an Accuphase preamp and noticed it also is listed as far less S/N ratio on it's Balanced INPUT vs unbalanced INPUT. I just want to ask if this is the case for OUTPUT as well to the power amp? If it's just for INPUT from a transport/dac, i should use single ended connection from now on and balanced from pre to power amp is ok?

Accuphase specifiy the correct and conservative figures for both unbalanced and balanced inputs.

Balanced is certainly not necessarily better, simply due to the fact there is another unnecessary stage or two (the differential/instrumentation input amp) contributing noise.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another flagship brand bites the dust. Now with the imminent Hypex Nilai 500D on sale at the end of October, I do really wonder who is the non-music lover that chooses looks over substance? Thank you Amir for steering away from (expensive) bells and whistles and toward value and quality.

What it (meaning ASR) shows is that price is not directly related to electrical performance. That is a fact, but then one always has to hang a 'value' upon each fact, and that's where things become less clear. For some, cosmetics (and other non-electrical factors) will be the deciding point.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What it (meaning ASR) shows is that price is not directly related to electrical performance. That is a fact, but then one always has to hang a 'value' upon each fact, and that's where things become less clear. For some, cosmetics (and other non-electrical factors) will be the deciding point.

ASR shows nothing of the sort. It's an internet commentary site with a few measurements and a bunch of noisy members.

Accuphase has nothing to prove- they have been producing some of the best high fidelity equipment the world has ever seen since 1972. And will continue to do so, long after all the yapping internet websites have disappeared.

AndreaT

ASR shows nothing of the sort. It's an internet commentary site with a few measurements and a bunch of noisy members.

Accuphase has nothing to prove- they have been producing some of the best high fidelity equipment the world has ever seen since 1972. And will continue to do so, long after all the yapping internet websites have disappeared.
Yeah…except their stuff does not measure well indeed…bells and whistles, not much substance. ASR is a voluntary forum, no one asks you to read it. Amir’s measurements are objective and precise, and separate the wheat from the marketing chaff. It is an indispensable tool to guide those like me, who have some money to spend but do not like to be duped by champagne dials and slick marketing

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah…except their stuff does not measure well indeed…bells and whistles, not much substance. ASR is a voluntary forum, no one asks you to read it. Amir’s measurements are objective and precise, and separate the wheat from the marketing chaff. It is an indispensable tool to guide those like me, who have some money to spend but do not like to be duped by champagne dials and slick marketing
You have only looked at the E-270. The current generation products are a step up in measured performance. The E-270 is actually one of the top Class AB integrated amps measured here.

What you pay for Accuphase is infinite repairability/reliability and made in Japan. You have to pay more to manufacture in countries where there is a higher level of costs of living. For many, it is foolish to spend money this way. For others it is voting with your wallet. Accuphase stocks unobtanium components so they can repair gear that has components that have long gone out of production. They do restrict this to properly imported products to support their distributors.

If you want disposable, better measuring gear, you can save money. Nothing wrong with taking that approach.

Accuphase actually has very little marketing…

E-270 measurements

E-280 measurements

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah…except their stuff does not measure well indeed…

In this case, it's an electrical disappointment given what could have been done. But whether it's typical of 'their stuff'? Who knows about the rest of the catalog? Unfortunately, Accuphase heavy hitters are not very common in the field--at least in the US of A. So the chances of any of those, or anything more representative of their current stuff, getting a review here is pretty slim.

I personally like the look of the goods. And as strange as it may seem, look and feel can enhance musical listening enjoyment. At least for some people--those who want this kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong-- enhancing listening enjoyment doesn't mean the gear does anything special to or for the music. At least not in the sense of Stereophile/TAS nonsense. It's strictly psychological. I doubt any of this thing's measured 'limitations' are going to be heard in one's living room, with normal program material. So it just comes down to how one wants to spend their five thousand dollars.

For me, the company's integrated product doesn't get interesting until you are at about the E-480 level, but then you're talking the price of a high performance Japanese motorcycle... just using that in order to keep the value proposition in perspective.

AndreaT

You have only looked at the E-270. The current generation products are a step up in measured performance. The E-270 is actually one of the top Class AB integrated amps measured here.

What you pay for Accuphase is infinite repairability/reliability and made in Japan. You have to pay more to manufacture in countries where there is a higher level of costs of living. For many, it is foolish to spend money this way. For others it is voting with your wallet. Accuphase stocks unobtanium components so they can repair gear that has components that have long gone out of production. They do restrict this to properly imported products to support their distributors.

If you want disposable, better measuring gear, you can save money. Nothing wrong with taking that approach.

Accuphase actually has very little marketing…

E-270 measurements

E-280 measurements
Yes, no one should decide, except you, how you spend your money. Yes, pleasing to the eye has a price. A Giacometti statue sells for over $ 100 mil indeed. However, criticism to the approach and info offered by ASR is not warranted. A pic is always offered, for those willing to spend more for looks, and precise measurements allow music listener like me to sort out what to buy to improve my listening experience. One should also always wonder why Accuphase could not design and implement amplifiers and preamps (for $ 5,000) comparable or superior in performance to those offered at 1/10th to 1/5th of the Accuphase price by Hypex, Topping, Gustard, Purifi.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, criticism to the approach and info offered by ASR is not warranted. A pic is always offered, for those willing to spend more for looks, and precise measurements allow music listener like me to sort out what to buy to improve my listening experience.

I assume that bolded statement is not directed to me.
1) "ASR" is not synonymous with Amir Majidimehr. There definitely are ASR members that I choose to ignore.
2) I have sent to Amir 8 items to review to date, and I have posted measurements for 6 different electronic products too fragile to ship. I really value the approach to ASR yet I will also provide criticism/feedback/opinions as appropriate.

The most important tool for improving your listening experience is taking your own measurements. It is pretty clear that end-users have seen the value of measuring speakers in their own homes and doing their own room correction. The speaker tests here are a nice way to thin out the chaff from wheat, of course. I would say the same thing is true for electronics.

One should also always wonder why Accuphase could not design and implement amplifiers and preamps (for $ 5,000) comparable or superior in performance to those offered at 1/10th to 1/5th of the Accuphase price by Hypex, Topping, Gustard, Purifi.

Accuphase has a very distinct vision which resonates or doesn't with potential customers. Customer service, reliability, repairability, longevity, safety, and country of manufacture are selling points for Accuphase. They are not selling points for everyone. Warehousing spare transistors, capacitors, knobs, doesn't really change costs whether you're dealing with a budget or flagship product -- and your warehouse has to be in a high cost of living environment.

It's probably appropriate to point out my review here:
Where two "blue class" amps that probably would be indistinguishable on the standard test suite do not actually measure identically with music.

With real music, repeat testing any given amp from day to day shows that the PK Metric is -120 dB -- so I'm not comparing two bad amps. A bad amp could have a lot of variability from one day to the next.

But I can hear differences and I can objectively document that the differences I can measure meet the threshold of audibility.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
realistically this isnt a good look for 2017 and for $4,500 usd

one would expect a pretty flawless performance for that age and price

further there are competing products that cost less and have similar functionality vis a vis balanced input that came out earltier than 2017

it sounds like they didnt take balanced input seriously

what is also galling is that accuphase sort of set themselves up as the 'ultimate' in japanese performance and this the delivered performance?

try the luxman equivalent of the same age (5 yrs ago!) and see if that has the same issues?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that I wouldn't buy an E-270. Although I will say that Accuphase is the ultimate in reliability not necessarily sound.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that I wouldn't buy an E-270. Although I will say that Accuphase is the ultimate in reliability not necessarily sound.
Good point. Measurements are indeed not everything; the stuff has to actually work when you want it to.

AndreaT

I assume that bolded statement is not directed to me.
1) "ASR" is not synonymous with Amir Majidimehr. There definitely are ASR members that I choose to ignore.
2) I have sent to Amir 8 items to review to date, and I have posted measurements for 6 different electronic products too fragile to ship. I really value the approach to ASR yet I will also provide criticism/feedback/opinions as appropriate.

The most important tool for improving your listening experience is taking your own measurements. It is pretty clear that end-users have seen the value of measuring speakers in their own homes and doing their own room correction. The speaker tests here are a nice way to thin out the chaff from wheat, of course. I would say the same thing is true for electronics.

Accuphase has a very distinct vision which resonates or doesn't with potential customers. Customer service, reliability, repairability, longevity, safety, and country of manufacture are selling points for Accuphase. They are not selling points for everyone. Warehousing spare transistors, capacitors, knobs, doesn't really change costs whether you're dealing with a budget or flagship product -- and your warehouse has to be in a high cost of living environment.

It's probably appropriate to point out my review here:
Where two "blue class" amps that probably would be indistinguishable on the standard test suite do not actually measure identically with music.

With real music, repeat testing any given amp from day to day shows that the PK Metric is -120 dB -- so I'm not comparing two bad amps. A bad amp could have a lot of variability from one day to the next.

But I can hear differences and I can objectively document that the differences I can measure meet the threshold of audibility.
Accuphase, like any other company and human endeavor, could disappear from the market, or change philosophy about “infinite” support for the owners and “repairability”. In my value scale it is rather more important to achieve a flawless integration between component parts and excellent measurements. The reliability is a difficult to measure quantity except for spectacular failures of a product. There are too many different users and habits to compare. I do not choose Toyotas because Consumers Report calls them the most reliable automobiles.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think 'reliability' is just a base expectation of any piece of electronic equipment in say 2005 let alone 2017... if I turn on a piece of high end gear it should just 'work' right?

I have used various professional pieces in PA/sound reinforcement... you turn it on, it goes. I wouldnt use them in a home enviroment but they are reliable.

In the same way I respect a Toyota Camry but I would never own one because... well you know.

AndreaT

I think 'reliability' is just a base expectation of any piece of electronic equipment in say 2005 let alone 2017... if I turn on a piece of high end gear it should just 'work' right?

I have used various professional pieces in PA/sound reinforcement... you turn it on, it goes. I wouldnt use them in a home enviroment but they are reliable.

In the same way I respect a Toyota Camry but I would never own one because... well you know.
The only time I had problems with reliability of music equipment it was when I was buying from an audio store that was selling “B-stock” equipment: I had failures in a new Cambridge Audio CD players ( it would not turn on when pressing the power button) , in an Esoteric CD player (it failed after two weeks of use: the output line dropped -40 dB both in RCA and AES/EBU), and in the new Paradigm speakers (the holes for the grilles are offset so they (still) do not mount flush with the speaker edges). The CD players were returned for new units (they both still work flawlessly after 10+ years of use), the Paradigm were too heavy to transport back. It dawned on me they were purposefully collecting new B stock to sell with a 10-15% discount to make the customer feel good. Dishonesty as a business model.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I'd had failures in the first 30 days... which qualifies you for a DOA (ie. unit replacement) - once youve had it for a few months you're pretty much solid outside of cap leakage and that kind of wear and tear which the manufacturer will not warrant.

This obviously is not what is troubling the e270 which is just poor design on a specific function which I dont think anyone here can really accept. If a company sells you on a feature then you expect that feature to work well and competantly.

I have had the opposite experience. I have a balanced preamp... in and out, which works as expected. I have never used the rca out until the other day when I had to test a single ended power amp. I plugged it in. It works as well as XLR. This is the expectation of a piece of equipment designed by Germans/Australians for about a third of the price of the e270... and its older than 2017.

AndreaT

I'd had failures in the first 30 days... which qualifies you for a DOA (ie. unit replacement) - once youve had it for a few months you're pretty much solid outside of cap leakage and that kind of wear and tear which the manufacturer will not warrant.

This obviously is not what is troubling the e270 which is just poor design on a specific function which I dont think anyone here can really accept. If a company sells you on a feature then you expect that feature to work well and competantly.

I have had the opposite experience. I have a balanced preamp... in and out, which works as expected. I have never used the rca out until the other day when I had to test a single ended power amp. I plugged it in. It works as well as XLR. This is the expectation of a piece of equipment designed by Germans/Australians for about a third of the price of the e270... and its older than 2017.
Agree on poor design of the Accuphase, as extensively documented by Amir, and in spite of attempts to quote Philosophy by some other members.
As I tried to convey, the poor reliability of some of my equipment was in association with a dishonest Hi-Fi store selling B-stock at A-stock prices with a cosmetic discount. All the rest of my music electronics (Benchmark, Pro-Ac, REL, Okto, Buckeye, Marantz, Schiit, Revel, Sony, Dynaco, Gustard, Mark Levinson, Fiio, and Topping) has performed flawlessly or beyond the duty cycle (Dynaco, for 45+ years).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not choose Toyotas because Consumers Report calls them the most reliable automobiles.

Great. No arguments from me. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the rest of my music electronics (Benchmark... Dynaco, for 45+ years).
Really, gear should last a long time. I've found it's hit and miss. Everyone has a story, I guess. For longevity sake, it's best not to go proprietary, if possible.

I've said it before, as much as I love and respect Benchmark, if my AHB ever goes south, and if the company folds, it's just an expensive doorstop. On the other hand, if my 1960 era Mk IV stops, I can easily buy replacement parts and fix it on my kitchen table. I can even change the circuit with aftermarket third party designs. Dave Hafler and Ed Laurent made sure it would work that way... long after they left the scene. I really respect their work, just as much as the work of John Saiu and his team! :)

Top Bottom