• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M126Be reviewed by Erin's Audio Corner

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i agree with Erin, overpriced for what is delivered.. if you like the tech and want to save money go with m106, wider dispersion : go with bmr.... paying double for a slightly more refined tweeter is a fools errand at best imo...of course if you have 5 grand burning a hole in your pocket........go for the Be..

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin very clearly delineates their special sauce: very wide, panoramic soundstage with good though not edge of the art imaging specificity and neutral tonality. The price you pay is first of all the price, then it's limited bass response, then it's the typical dynamic range constraints of a smallish bookshelf with a 6.5 in mid/bass driver, and finally it's some distortions in the bass (expected) and around the crossover region of 3khz (unacceptable imho).

All in all, seems like a nice speaker, but I'm a KEF guy, and if were spending that kind of coin, I would probably opt for the Ls 60 which costs around the same as the m126 when factoring in amp/stands/speaker cable. Also, there is the problem of Revel not necessarily being willing to service their products once they are out of warranty. For me, that's an utter deal breaker.

juliangst

The compression at 96dB and higher is a joke. R3 Meta are half the price and perform way better

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the price is just fine. As a Genelc/KEF user this seems to be the same case as The Ones vs 83xx or R series vs Reference. No way the price hike is warranted if you are only looking at the value you get, but if you got the money and it's not an issue, why not get the better one?

And it's not like the price is bonkers, a bit over double or so compared to M106 with audible improvement.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The compression at 96dB and higher is a joke. R3 Meta are half the price and perform way better
IMHO, the market comparable is the March Audio Sointuva which, for less money, probably has the Revel beat on everything save soundstage width. Also the Ascend Sierra LX may offer much the same experience for far less money.

juliangst

IMHO, the market comparable is the March Audio Sointuva which probably has the Revel beat on everything save soundstage width for less money.
The problem with the March is that it's a boutique brand that's not widely available so it loses points on that

tw 2022

IMHO, the market comparable is the March Audio Sointuva which, for less money, probably has the Revel beat on everything save soundstage width. Also the Ascend Sierra LX may offer much the same experience for far less money.
I kinda think the sierra 2ex v2 would be every bit as good as well as the bmr, the sierra may not have 90 deg dispersion (like the bmr) though...

Davelemi

Forum Donor
I kinda think the sierra 2ex v2 would be every bit as good as well as the bmr, the sierra may not have 90 deg dispersion (like the bmr) though...
I have the Sierra LXs and ran right to my listening room to see how wide the “clicks” he mentioned in Magic were. Although not a couple of feet outside of the left speaker, it was definitely outside. My listening position is close probably affecting the soundstage.
C6278472-E94E-4438-BD2A-EB411B87F530.jpeg

tw 2022

I have the Sierra LXs and ran right to my listening room to see how wide the “clicks” he mentioned in Magic were. Although not a couple of feet outside of the left speaker, it was definitely outside. My listening position is close probably affecting the soundstage. View attachment 294889
That's a very nice looking set up... I am myself am jonesing for some bmr's , but the lx has certainly crossed my mind, as well as the cmt 340s , I'd really like Erin or Amir to measure either with subjective notes...Edit .. I just checked as well on my emotiva b1s modded by Dennis Murphy, the click on the right side was a couple feet right of the speaker.... Pretty decent...i want to hear this now on the bmr's

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s interesting. The Revel and original R3 were launched at the same time. But the R3 meta came out and the Performa Be’s haven’t been updated yet.

juliangst

What are you talking about? They are very similar other than that one midrange spike. The compression/expansion is mostly within 1dB anyway. Not remotely a problem.

View attachment 294907

View attachment 294897
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Almost 1.5dB enhancement in the range where human hearing is most sensitive.

Even if this specific peak is not audible the R3 Meta still beat them in all other distortion and frequency response measurements and are half the price.

tw 2022

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Almost 1.5dB enhancement in the range where human hearing is most sensitive.

Even if this specific peak is not audible the R3 Meta still beat them in all other distortion and frequency response measurements and are half the price.
My thoughts as well.. It is the price point difference that is the key here...$2000 less for slightly better performance....

CJPopovich

Had the M106's used in my home office, which is where I do most of my listening. Purchased the F226BE's for main system and loved that tweeter so much that I picked up the M126BE's for the computer system to replace the M106's. Yes, they're not inexpensive, but if you want that BE tweeter impact and clarity.... IMO it's worth it. Nearfield with a couple of custom build low tuned ported 15's they make for a very pleasing computer audio system. The wide soundstage, even nearfield, makes for an incredible immersive experience. Love 'em.

I use the regular performa series for my office at work. Those are fantastic speakers and not to be slept on, but that BE tweeter has my heart.

Curvature

Major Contributor

Hearing is most sensitive around 3-6kHz. The peak is around 1.7kHz, where there is a crossover from timing to level sensitivity, and hearing is more sensitive than at lower frequencies, but less discerning.

Try 1.5dB expansion or compression in that narrow bandwidth. You are way overestimating the impact. Edit: At 96dB or 106dB!

Be mad about the price. That's your prerogative. But be accurate about the facts.

RMW_NJ

Looks a little disappointing, IMO. Value is in the eye of beholder, but hard for me to wrap my head around this being twice as expensive as the R3 and nearly 3 times as expensive as the Ascend LX…not to mention actives like the Neumann KH150 and Buchardt A500/A10.

tw 2022

Looks a little disappointing, IMO. Value is in the eye of beholder, but hard for me to wrap my head around this being twice as expensive as the R3 and nearly 3 times as expensive as the Ascend LX…not to mention actives like the Neumann KH150 and Buchardt A500/A10.
Yeah, i think "diminishing returns" is hitting pretty hard in the revel line up above the m106/ f 208 level...

Top Bottom