• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's KEF Blade 2 Meta review.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone beat me to it again

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
So Erin reviewed the KEF Blade 2 Meta, I won't link it here, but you guys can find it on YouTube.

Erin is raving about it, then he showed the data, while it's terrific, but if I'm honest, I was a bit disappointed as it did not match "the best speaker I've heard" rave. In fact, I would say the D&D 8 measures better in many aspects.

Anyone heard the Blade 2 Meta in person? Your thoughts, is it the best speaker ever?

Coincidentally, at the start of his video he made a disclaimer how if someone doesn't find value in his subjective impression, one can skip to the data, I think that is a nod to the discussion in the FR10 thread we recently had.
The DD8C is much higher distortion, and the compression behavior isn't nearly as good.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Distortion has to be audible to be an issue.
Keith

AudioKC

I decided to listen to "Balade 2" via my Kef R11. :D

And configured Dirac Live Curve to be similar to Blade 2.

Fun experience, punchy upper bass, and quite a good midrange! Actually, I like that flat response from 200 to 1000.

1712711812102.png

AwesomeSauce2015

Yeah, I "heard" the blades once in a showroom with some decent amplification and a digital audio source (of some kind) driving them.
Personally, I felt that the bass was pretty well done, and it sounded very "smooth" and "full". The room acoustics weren't ideal, but I could tell that they were pretty good speakers, and if set up correctly could probably give good imaging.
Now, with the asterisk that I didn't spend much time with them, nor did I really turn it up much, I must say:
They didn't have a super "fun" or energetic sound to them. They had plenty of amplifier behind them, but the music just lacked the "alive-ness" that physically larger (ie: larger midrange, acoustically large baffle) speakers can provide. Now, it's no secret that I am a fan of horn-loaded systems, I am a believer that the higher efficiency, sensitivity, and pattern control of horns does result in something that isn't fully captured in the measurements that we regularly use. (Now, it probably can be measured, we just need to figure out a measurement to show it.)
So, my problem with the blades is (probably) that above the woofer crossover, it's a mini-midrange and baby tweeter... lol. It's a great speaker for "elevator music", it just doesn't tick the boxes that I require of a loudspeaker system.

muad

Yeah, I "heard" the blades once in a showroom with some decent amplification and a digital audio source (of some kind) driving them.
Personally, I felt that the bass was pretty well done, and it sounded very "smooth" and "full". The room acoustics weren't ideal, but I could tell that they were pretty good speakers, and if set up correctly could probably give good imaging.
Now, with the asterisk that I didn't spend much time with them, nor did I really turn it up much, I must say:
They didn't have a super "fun" or energetic sound to them. They had plenty of amplifier behind them, but the music just lacked the "alive-ness" that physically larger (ie: larger midrange, acoustically large baffle) speakers can provide. Now, it's no secret that I am a fan of horn-loaded systems, I am a believer that the higher efficiency, sensitivity, and pattern control of horns does result in something that isn't fully captured in the measurements that we regularly use. (Now, it probably can be measured, we just need to figure out a measurement to show it.)
So, my problem with the blades is (probably) that above the woofer crossover, it's a mini-midrange and baby tweeter... lol. It's a great speaker for "elevator music", it just doesn't tick the boxes that I require of a loudspeaker system.
Maybe you need a PA speaker?

goat76

Major Contributor
Distortion has to be audible to be an issue.
Keith

Some people are more sensitive to distortion than others. When you start hearing it you can't unhear it. The D&D 8C has high level of distortion.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

I am yet to hear the Blades, I am waiting for the dealer to get them in then i'll go and listen. So I can't comment on your listening impression. But I do agree with your comments about horns. I am not sure what is not being measured. There is a certain sense of scale and drama with a good horn speaker. I just don't know what measurement it correlates to. I have found a measurement which might explain it here, but I am not sure if I have drawn the correct conclusion or not. Anyway that's off topic.

Come now, if you put them in an elevator you won't have room for people :)

AudioKC

Sounds to me that you like directivity mismatch, which makes speakers “alive”.

I heard many times from people that speakers with great directivity not fun for them. Plus Kef is has quite narrow horizontal directivity which can make them sound smaller than other speakers.

AwesomeSauce2015

Sounds to me that you like directivity mismatch, which makes speakers “alive”.

I heard many times from people that speakers with great directivity not fun for them. Plus Kef is has quite narrow horizontal directivity which can make them sound smaller than other speakers.
That is possible, I can't refute or support it, however.
Though, I do find that KEF's Q950 towers have the "alive-ness" to some extent. Generally, I have attributed my experiences with this sound effect to having larger / more efficient tweeters and midrange drivers.
I can't find any spins of the Q950, but I would presume that KEF would have good directivity on the Q950, though based off the 2.2khz listed crossover it may very well have a directivity dip.
Personally, I subscribe to the theory of Greg Timbers, that efficiency / sensitivity, and dynamics are very important for a loudspeaker system to have that "real" sound.
Thermal and other dynamic compression, to me, does make a difference in the listening experience. Maybe because I am used to the sound of PA systems, or maybe it's just what I like, but I do find that I can identify when a system has good dynamics or not.

So yeah, I do probably "need" what most on this forum would consider a "PA" speaker. Of course, I'm still keeping my Q100s on my desk, as in my current living condition they are barely working hard, the room is so small that 70db sounds quite loud, and the room is also so acoustically bad that they sound about as good as anything else would here...

AwesomeSauce2015

I had them at a reasonable volume level, I wasn't trying to test the system like that one time I accidentally maxed out a pair of Q550s when comparing them with something else. I wasn't trying to disturb everyone else in the store, nor was I trying to break anything. It's just that in that listening test, they weren't as enjoyable to me as say the JBL HDI-3800s with a pair of subs, even when both were run at what I would consider "reasonable volume levels".
Now, when I get a chance to crank a speaker system that can actually handle it, I do tend to correlate louder with better / more fun of a sound, given that the sound system can actually handle it.
So maybe the blades would have performed better (in my subjective test) had I turned up the volume higher, but I don't think so for the reasons I outlined above.

Top Bottom