• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, hats off to you @amirm - this is a big & heavy speaker you've managed to measure like no one else. Thank you.

$5000 for the pair is surprisingly low given some of the big names in this business are selling crappy $20K speakers. Throw in a Hypex amp and we are still under $7K. I almost bought these speakers, but decided to get the JBL 708P + Rythmik FM8s - good value especially given I get 3 8" drivers.
I think there are going to be bargains on the street price for these. They are an older design (date back to 2014) and there is a newer model (F228be) which if it doesn't entirely supplant and replace it, is so simlar to it in size, form factor, and performance that dealers will be anxious to get them off their floor.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think there are going to be bargains on the street price for these. They are an older design (date back to 2014) and there is a newer model (F228be) which if it doesn't entirely supplant and replace it, is so simlar to it in size, form factor, and performance that dealers will be anxious to get them off their floor.
F228Be is twice as expensive. As such it will definitely not replace the F208.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Asinus

For anyone who has heard the new Be-based version, how would you compare the old vs new?

It's 2x the price...
It is not night and day but you can tell the improvement after a few of your favorite tracks, the treble sounds "sweeter" and it can render complex orchestral pieces better, on the looks department I don't care much for the white cones. The bigger motors supposedly allow the Be to handle better heat and in turn dynamic compression but I have not pushed them that hard.

IMO if you have the cash, go for the 228Be but the 208 will be enough for most and you can invest in subs or amps. It is the same situation as other high end audio devices, 50% of the price gets you 90% of the performance. As a matter of fact, I have also heard 208s alongside 126Bes and I think the 208s are a better bargain unless you put them in a 4 square meter room.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_011201500.jpg
    IMG_20200111_011201500.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 249

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not night and day but you can tell the improvement after a few of your favorite tracks, the treble sounds "sweeter" and it can render complex orchestral pieces better, on the looks department I don't care much for the white cones. The bigger motors supposedly allow the Be to handle better heat and in turn dynamic compression but I have not pushed them that hard.

IMO if you have the cash, go for the 228Be but the 208 will be enough for most and you can invest in subs or amps. It is the same situation as other high end audio devices, 50% of the price gets you 90% of the performance. As a matter of fact, I have also heard 208s alongside 126Bes and I think the 208s are a better bargain unless you put them in a 4 square meter room.

Friends don’t let friends pay list price :p

- Rich

Asinus

Friends don’t let friends pay list price :p

- Rich
I'd assume a friend would give you a similar discount or even a larger one on the older models so the price ratio would hold.
But you mention a fair point, in some listings available to employees the 208 are around 60% of the 228 price and the 126 make more sense so I suppose dealers could have similar wiggle room.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Boundary off, tweeters at 0. Measures with and without the messy coffee table are pretty much the same
View attachment 63435

I'm sure those books on the table will seriously affect FR. :D

Btw, I think it would be better if you move speakers apart as they seem too close to each other considering distance to LP. I also suggest you use MMM RTA pink noise when measuring from LP.

Top Bottom