• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

mj30250

The cheapest.
So an L12?

A comparable Revel sub may or may not offer objectively lower distortion, but even if it did, would you hear it? I would highly doubt it as what you seem to be describing does not hint at audible distortion, but points much more to setup/configuration/room issues. But as you appear to be somewhat averse to providing details on your room and setup, all anyone here can offer is conjecture.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The cheapest.
I believe it's highly possible you could replace the L12 with a Revel and still have the distortion do to your
DRC calibration attempting to correct for a large dip in response due to room mode. Have you tried the usual
stuff like moving the sub somewhere else and re-calibrating? There's just too little information here to really
dig into the problem..
For what the Revel costs, you could buy 3 more Rythmics and after calibration reduce the current distortion in
the order of 12db if my old brain maths correct.
Just a thought.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
So an L12?

A comparable Revel sub may or may not offer objectively lower distortion, but even if it did, would you hear it? I would highly doubt it as what you seem to be describing does not hint at audible distortion, but points much more to setup/configuration/room issues. But as you appear to be somewhat averse to providing details on your room and setup, all anyone here can offer is conjecture.
Yes

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thanks. Haven't moved yet. Need to rewire.
I believe it's highly possible you could replace the L12 with a Revel and still have the distortion do to your
DRC calibration attempting to correct for a large dip in response due to room mode. Have you tried the usual
stuff like moving the sub somewhere else and re-calibrating? There's just too little information here to really
dig into the problem..
For what the Revel costs, you could buy 3 more Rythmics and after calibration reduce the current distortion in
the order of 12db if my old brain maths correct.
Just a thought.

AmadeusMozart

60 years ago I was informed by a well informed source that 2% harmonic distortion of 30Hz, being 60Hz, sounds louder than the fundamental 30Hz.

No wonder that there seems to be no audible difference since all are hearing the harmonics and not the fundamental bass.

There have been speakers (e.g. the 15" Karlson) that could reproduce at very low distortion - it was not heard but only felt.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
60 years ago I was informed by a well informed source that 2% harmonic distortion of 30Hz, being 60Hz, sounds louder than the fundamental 30Hz.

No wonder that there seems to be no audible difference since all are hearing the harmonics and not the fundamental bass.

There have been speakers (e.g. the 15" Karlson) that could reproduce at very low distortion - it was not heard but only felt.
That's a very interesting idea, if true. Would be useful to have some sort of graphical representation of balance in terms of at which % distortion amounts at which frequencies in the bass that the harmonics sound louder than the fundamental, so it would be somekind of Fletcher Munson normalisation.

Top Bottom