• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newman

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I am looking to replace an outdated Blu-ray player by a more capable player.
What is outdated and lacking in your player?

frabor

My first choice would be an xbox with ultra hd. I have one and I am very happy. Optical and hdmi,I use the hdmi for video and the optical for audio. The older models can be purchased market at a better price than a high end blueray, and since you will not use it for gaming, even a used one will have a good longevity (slow cpu usage)

If you do not need sacd or dvd-a or similar "esoteric" media, any blueray will work. You can get a DAC capable of -110dB or better ( probably any dac on an blueray is -89 to 95 dB as a guestimate from prior test on similar equipment) and if needed a hdmi to optical extractor in the range of 100-125 euros/dollar's. Thaw will give you the better quality possible.

In the last test of a cd player / transport in ASR, it was found that the unit had some induced noise / jitter in the optical out. Without a test of a specific unit it is impossible to know, but more likely low end player may have weaker implementations than high end (but it is not always the case).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first choice would be an xbox with ultra hd. I have one and I am very happy. Optical and hdmi,I use the hdmi for video and the optical for audio. The older models can be purchased market at a better price than a high end blueray, and since you will not use it for gaming, even a used one will have a good longevity (slow cpu usage)

We are bumping up a year old thread, but I would caution a bit against the Xbox because the drive noise playing UHD BD’s is pretty loud. I ended up upgrading to the Panasonic UB9000 and I have a Sony X800M2.

One benefit of a modern setup is having repair options. The Xbox One S is no longer supported by Microsoft and replacing the laser is really complicated because of gaming copy protection features. At least the Sony is in current production so replacement lasers should be available for a while.

I finally sold my Marantz SA-10/PM-10 combo. The SA-10 is great but now that I have gone with active speakers, the extra ADC means that I don’t really benefit from the SA-10’s analog stage anymore.

Newman

Major Contributor
Panasonic UB9000 and I have a Sony X800M2
Hi, are you saying you run both of these in tandem? Any particular reason why the X800M2 can’t cover all discs?

frabor

I have not heard the heard the s, but the Xbox -x is pretty silent, cannot compare to a legacy player as dont have one.

Regarding the Blue Ray disc replacement, it takes 5 minutes to find one on the bays or the rivers for less than 50 euros dollars with shipping, very affordable with some soldering required, and also you can get a used into affordable . Standartd part as millions have been produced and can be acquired either new or refurbished.

A PS5 would be s similar option for me so the prior logic may apply also to the Sony unit.

Good luck getting a part from Sony/ Panasonic after sales production is over. Last time I tried to get a trafo ( it was delaminated with an very very loud whim) for a mid grade 1080p 6 year old Sony receiver was not available. All I could reuse was the remote.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the Blue Ray disc replacement, it takes 5 minutes to find one on the bays or the rivers for less than 50 euros dollars with shipping, very affordable with some soldering required, and also you can get a used into affordable . Standartd part as millions have been produced and can be acquired either new or refurbished.

At least on the One S, the motherboard and drive have internal serial numbers that must be matched, so you can only replace the optical drive a paired motherboard.

Top Bottom